Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The "wolverine" formation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Jedd showed a new wrinkle this Sunday with DRob taking snaps in the wildcat formation, now called the "wolverine" for obvious reasons. Besides one play it was pretty effective at picking up chunks of yardage. Would you like to see more of it? Would you like to see DRob throw a pass or 2 from it? As long as we use it sparingly (2 or 3 times a game) I think we could make it work.
Could see the triple option with Blake as an play soon......would be effective on a few occasions 

As long as they can line up and snap the ball without a penalty  -  I say throw the kitchen sink at 'em.   

Two wins and four games to play is a good time to take some shots. 

I say the next time we punt, do the fake punt and let Anger run down the field with the ball! (hey, it worked for the razorbacks...) It's just the kind of thing that jeff fisher and the tacks used to do to us and steal a win.

I don't want Bortles running any triple option... that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen!!!

On at least one of these plays Blake was lined up out wide totally uncovered and ignored by the Giants D. We know he can run, would love to see D'Rob hit him for a long completion Smile
I'd like to see more of it and other formations.  We have the diverse players to mix it up so why not make the opposing players think.   Even if we don't run it, if the upcoming opponent has it on tape they still have to practice stopping it --- taking time away from their standard defensive practice.

Quote:I don't want Bortles running any triple option... that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen!!!

i think he can run it. Or draft Mariota to run it only. lol
With THIS O-line... sure, i'd like to see more of it. Anything to keep drives alive and get the defense rest.

Once we shore up the line, I don't want to see any of that garbage. 

It was effective in Miami until defenses figured out how to deal with it.  It would probably work a game or two for us before it stopped working.  Drob throwing passes doesn't sound good to me.  He's a full time RB, and we haven't had much luck with that crap.  Maybe if it's something like a jump pass at the LOS after he takes a handoff then sure.  

I felt it was out of desperation. That and it's so blatantly obvious that we run on first, may as well take Bortles out and add another blocker
Quote:Jedd showed a new wrinkle this Sunday with DRob taking snaps in the wildcat formation, now called the "wolverine" for obvious reasons. Besides one play it was pretty effective at picking up chunks of yardage. Would you like to see more of it? Would you like to see DRob throw a pass or 2 from it? As long as we use it sparingly (2 or 3 times a game) I think we could make it work.

It's not a bad formation to use every once in awhile. Though to be honest, I think I rather keep Blake in there and use him on the read-option with Denard. At least that way, there is still a threat to pass with Blake. Imagine splitting Denard at WR, then he motions in and runs towards Blake at the snap as if he is about to run a reverse.

Gus talks about "stress" on the defense. Well, imagine the stress this puts on the defense. Not only do you have to honor Denard's run, but you have to stay honest and keep contain because Blake can take off as he showed against NYG. Theoretically if we execute, we would have:

Denard's running threat to the right

Blake's running threat to the left

Denard's passing threat off the sweep

Blake's passing threat on the run

If the OLine can hold up to give them time and let the play develop, what do you do as a defense?
Quote:It was effective in Miami until defenses figured out how to deal with it.  It would probably work a game or two for us before it stopped working.  Drob throwing passes doesn't sound good to me.  He's a full time RB, and we haven't had much luck with that crap.  Maybe if it's something like a jump pass at the LOS after he takes a handoff then sure.  

It's a bit gimmicky yes, but honestly, I think defenses still have trouble defending this if they are backed up on the goal line. Of all the times we've used a read-option, I don't understand why we never use it near the goal line. All it takes at that point is a slight hesitation by the defense and either Blake can run it in, Denard can run it in, or if using "Wolverine", Gerhart or Todman can run it in.
Wouldn't mind seeing D-Rob take a sweep to the left or right only to throw it downfield right before he gets to the line of scrimmage.  Need to make the opposing D respect the fact that our starting RB was a QB in college and can probably throw an adequate pass.  They almost did this once a few games ago but D-Rob only threatened to throw and pulled it down and ran.  They need to run this play once every couple of games I think.  It might open up some more running room when he doesn't throw it.

These gimmick plays only work for a little while, see the wildcat and Miami for example.......

One play that would work exactly once but could be fun to watch: D-Rob takes the snap from the shotgun, runs towards the line of scrimmage, then dumps it off on a screen to Lee on the perimeter. Could squeak a decent gain out of that one if the defense keys on Robinson.

Quote:One play that would work exactly once but could be fun to watch: D-Rob takes the snap from the shotgun, runs towards the line of scrimmage, then dumps it off on a screen to Lee on the perimeter. Could squeak a decent gain out of that one if the defense keys on Robinson.

Except CBs often just stand there with their WR
Quote:I don't want Bortles running any triple option... that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen!!!
Ask RG3's agent how that works...
Quote:I felt it was out of desperation. That and it's so blatantly obvious that we run on first, may as well take Bortles out and add another blocker
It would only warrant merrit if shoelace is allowed to throw and completes a couple passes in the formation.
More... but put a legit target outside to hold the coverage. No one was worried about Bortles.

Pages: 1 2