Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Defense/Offense
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After the first few games this year, I thought this team was going to be all around bad like last year.  Now, the last few games the defense has really taken it upon themselves to be the difference makers on this team.  They aren't going to let our abysmal offense bring them down any longer.  A lot of people are giving Bradley credit for this.  Does anyone, but myself, feel it might be Babich?  I think we might have something here.  This team is bad, but I don't think I've seen our defensive line/LB's perform this way in like a decade.  I think Babich finally found the key to make these guys work together for the game plan he has each week.  Jury is still out on our secondary.  I think that's due to lack of talent/rookies.

I'm so happy we can smash the QB, and create turnovers, but we haven't been an offensive juggernaut since 1999.  We've always been known for our defense since the 2000's.  Do you think Blake Bortles and the emergence of Lee/Hurns/Robinson can bring this team to something like the Broncos/Patriots/Colts?  As much as it stings to write the Colts, they have been scoring TD's like it's going out of style.  I'm just hoping that this team will finally turn a corner.  It's like walking on egg shells each game because I have no faith in this team reaching the endzone.

The announcers last week (I think) said that Bradley had taken over the defense from Babich so it's more likely Bradley.

Then I stand corrected.  Is there any truth to this though, or is it just the announcer saying stuff?

As I recall correctly, hasn't Bradley taken a more hands-on approach in relation to the defense over the past few weeks? I don't remember which game it was, but I seem to recall the announcers saying something to that effect...

Now, that isn't to say that Babich hasn't played a vital role. I honestly don't know...what I do know is that this defense is brining it and I like seeing that. So, I for one, just want them to keep doing whatever it is they're doing! Smile

My concern with calling our defense improved is that I don't believe we have gotten any team's "best" per se.  Let's be honest, teams aren't scared of the Jags and their game planning is probably minimal.  I do think we are improved but I think how much is yet to be seen.  I think we'll get a good gauge when our offense can put up points against a good team and we get a team's "A" game so to speak.

As far as BB...he is a big question mark and only time will tell.  I was sold when he showed flashes early but those have been nearly nonexistent in the last 4-6 games until late yesterday.  Also, the read below doesn't give much confidence either.

---------

Q: I know he is only a rookie, and I know he is playing for the Jaguars, but has Blake Bortles shown us ANYTHING this season that should lead us to believe he isn’t going to be a huge bust?

—Kevin, Long Island

BS: The good news: You shouldn’t jump to conclusions with any rookie QB playing behind such an abysmal offensive line. The bad news: Bortles has tallied 15 picks, five fumbles and just eight passing TDs, along with an impossibly low 21.8 QBR. That’s really, really, really, really dreadful. Since 2006, only six qualifying QBs dipped under 25 QBR.

2013 Brandon Weeden: 24.7

2007 Kellen Clemens: 22.3

2011 Blaine Gabbert: 19.1

2006 Andrew Walter: 17.4

2009 JaMarcus Russell: 11.6

2010 Jimmy Clausen: 11.0

(That’s a murderer’s row. Literally — they murdered seasons. What a terrible omen for the Blake Bortles era. But hey, at least Sammy Watkins and Khalil Mack weren’t the next two 2014 draft picks after Bortles.)

Here's the link.... http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-we...ing-picks/

I think Lee is our deep threat.  He just straight up ran passed that defender for that beautifully thrown ball by Bortles.  That's what I have been craving this year.  Maybe the coaches feel Lee is "finally" getting it.  I just want this offense to be explosive, where teams actually have to game plan against us.  They just stack the box because they know we are going to run or throw a quick out, so a defender can get a pick.  I blame all of that on Fisch.

Quote:My concern with calling our defense improved is that I don't believe we have gotten any team's "best" per se.  Let's be honest, teams aren't scared of the Jags and their game planning is probably minimal.  I do think we are improved but I think how much is yet to be seen.  I think we'll get a good gauge when our offense can put up points against a good team and we get a team's "A" game so to speak.

As far as BB...he is a big question mark and only time will tell.  I was sold when he showed flashes early but those have been nearly nonexistent in the last 4-6 games until late yesterday.  Also, the read below doesn't give much confidence either.

---------

Q: I know he is only a rookie, and I know he is playing for the Jaguars, but has Blake Bortles shown us ANYTHING this season that should lead us to believe he isn’t going to be a huge bust?

—Kevin, Long Island

[BAD WORD REMOVED]: The good news: You shouldn’t jump to conclusions with any rookie QB playing behind such an abysmal offensive line. The bad news: Bortles has tallied 15 picks, five fumbles and just eight passing TDs, along with an impossibly low 21.8 QBR. That’s really, really, really, really dreadful. Since 2006, only six qualifying QBs dipped under 25 QBR.

2013 Brandon Weeden: 24.7

2007 Kellen Clemens: 22.3

2011 Blaine Gabbert: 19.1

2006 Andrew Walter: 17.4

2009 JaMarcus Russell: 11.6

2010 Jimmy Clausen: 11.0

(That’s a murderer’s row. Literally — they murdered seasons. What a terrible omen for the Blake Bortles era. But hey, at least Sammy Watkins and Khalil Mack weren’t the next two 2014 draft picks after Bortles.)

Here's the link.... http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-we...ing-picks/

What in the h-e-double hockey sticks are you TALKING about!?
On Bradley taking control a few weeks back:

I haven't been able to substantiate those comments (made by the network announcers) anywhere.  I even sent a question to Oehser on it.  

I thought it was during the Bengals game when I heard it - but I don't recall exactly when.  

It's common for the announcers to have interviews with the coach(es) and a handful of players the day before the game.   Obviously Bradley made mention of "taking more control" of the defense in that interview.  It was never specifically stated that he was calling the plays and he doesn't appear to be on the sideline. At least not for every defensive down.  

I know he turns on his mic and gives the coordinators some direction at times, because I've seen and heard it in some of the videos produced by Jaguars.com and NFL films.  

In last year's "yearbook" video Gus is seen and heard telling Fisch to be more aggressive at one point.  There was  also a video on the homepage earlier this year that showed him sqawking in the headset before a defensive 3rd down that led me to believe he was changing the coverage or formation.  <  Speculation - but highly probable. 

No matter the weight placed on Gus's apparent "taking the reins" - it's seems to me that they became more aggressive with pressure up front and made some adjustment to the zone coverages in the back that were previously "softer" to my eye.  The shake-up at LB is anyone's guess as to who instigated the change.  It's helping, regardless. 

Quote:On Bradley taking control a few weeks back:

I haven't been able to substantiate those comments (made by the network announcers) anywhere.  I even sent a question to Oehser on it.  

I thought it was during the Bengals game when I heard it - but I don't recall exactly when.  

It's common for the announcers to have interviews with the coach(es) and a handful of players the day before the game.   Obviously Bradley made mention of "taking more control" of the defense in that interview.  It was never specifically stated that he was calling the plays and he doesn't appear to be on the sideline. At least not for every defensive down.  

I know he turns on his mic and gives the coordinators some direction at times, because I've seen and heard it in some of the videos produced by Jaguars.com and NFL films.  

In last year's "yearbook" video Gus is seen and heard telling Fisch to be more aggressive at one point.  There was  also a video on the homepage earlier this year that showed him sqawking in the headset before a defensive 3rd down that led me to believe he was changing the coverage or formation.  <  Speculation - but highly probable. 

No matter the weight placed on Gus's apparent "taking the reins" - it's seems to me that they became more aggressive with pressure up front and made some adjustment to the zone coverages in the back that were previously "softer" to my eye.  The shake-up at LB is anyone's guess as to who instigated the change.  It's helping, regardless.

Whatever it is, it's the lone bright spot on this team. I just wish we weren't always good at just one thing. Being a balanced team is not what this team has been the last decade. Either way, there is hope for this team at least killing the opposing QB.
@JohnOehser: Jaguars HC Gus Bradley said S Josh Evans played significantly better Sunday after being pulled out briefly in the first half.

@vitostellino: defense down for 13 missed tackles.7 man box means some missed arm tackles.
@HaysCarlyon: Gus says Colvin had a big impact. Lot of times Eli looked his way and went elsewhere.
@JohnOehser: Jaguars HC Gus Bradley said Aaron Colvin had a grade that indicated he impacted a play every four plays. Remarkably high for a nickel CB.
@vitostellino: gus says geno had an high impact grade.