Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Blake is tipping the snap
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Something I noticed while at the game, was that Blake stands in the shotgun, and right before the ball is snapped, be moves his hands slightly forward, anticipating the ball being snapped.   Jason Pierre Paul must have noticed it, too, because on one play, he timed the snap perfectly and beat Joeckel to get into the backfield.   Joeckel had no chance on that play because Paul could time the snap by looking at Blake's hands. 

yep i see it too

Interesting. If true it says volumes about our coaches. Their job is to play poker with the other side. If we are giving "tells" and don't even know it then that's a problem.

Quote:Interesting. If true it says volumes about our coaches. Their job is to play poker with the other side. If we are giving "tells" and don't even know it then that's a problem.
Or he's just a rookie QB.  
Quote:Interesting. If true it says volumes about our coaches. Their job is to play poker with the other side. If we are giving "tells" and don't even know it then that's a problem.

Oh c'mon... our coaches haven't been good, but some of these things fall on the players. 
Quote:Oh c'mon... our coaches haven't been good, but some of these things fall on the players. 

I don't know...  If a fan can see it, and nobody is telling Blake to stop it...  Isn't that what a coach is supposed to do?
Quote:I don't know...  If a fan can see it, and nobody is telling Blake to stop it...  Isn't that what a coach is supposed to do?

Well, to be fair, it's the first time I've seen it.   Maybe it's the first time the coaches have seen it, too.  
Quote:I don't know...  If a fan can see it, and nobody is telling Blake to stop it...  Isn't that what a coach is supposed to do?

How do you know they didn't? I'm sure they've spoken about a lot of Bortles's flaws, but Bortles is still out there doing a lot of the same things. At some point, the player has to take responsibility and fix it himself. The coach can't hold his hand. 
Quote:How do you know they didn't? I'm sure they've spoken about a lot of Bortles's flaws, but Bortles is still out there doing a lot of the same things. At some point, the player has to take responsibility and fix it himself. The coach can't hold his hand. 

Plus, he was supposed to take this year and work out all his fundamental flaws.   So maybe this is one of those things.   Or maybe he doesn't do it all the time.   I just noticed it a few times in the second half, I haven't really tried to see if he does it all the time. 

I know Jason Pierre Paul noticed it, though.  
Everything will be fixed in off season. They want him to have his core plays to go to and pull from and be able to use it next year

He should be great with better protection and JB back
Quote:Plus, he was supposed to take this year and work out all his fundamental flaws.   So maybe this is one of those things.   Or maybe he doesn't do it all the time.   I just noticed it a few times in the second half, I haven't really tried to see if he does it all the time. 

I know Jason Pierre Paul noticed it, though.  
How do you 'know' that Jason PP noticed it?
You do realize that it's not the coaches hands moving, right?
On another note, they can use that as a way to draw an offsides call by simulating that movement, but that's a coaching thing, too... It'll keep defenses honest, though.

Quote:On another note, they can use that as a way to draw an offsides call by simulating that movement, but that's a coaching thing, too... It'll keep defenses honest, though.

That will get called a false start. I remember Gabbert having one of those
coaches should have long done dissected it if it is going on. But, you know it's Fisch and company.

Quote:You do realize that it's not the coaches hands moving, right?
 THe op said Bortles hands were telling the snap. He didn't qualify it to just this game until later. If it's been a problem all year, then it's the coaches job to correct those issues, or at least tell Bortles he is signaling the snap.

Maybe they have, I don't know.
Bortles also leans back right before the snap while under center. I dunno if that tips anyone off but it's something I noticed early this year.
Quote:How do you 'know' that Jason PP noticed it?

I chuckled a bit, too.

If that were true, the Giants DE wouldn't have jumped the snap so bad for encroachment.

JPP just flat out schooled Joekel.  Nothing more, or less.

The only thing Bortles has been tipping, is that he's very sloppy on the fundamentals, particularly when having to freelance.  Which, is what we already knew (and why they wanted to work on him a year before playing time caused him to revert to bad habits before the new, good habits had time to settle in.)
Quote:How do you 'know' that Jason PP noticed it?

I don't know with metaphysical certainty, but I did notice that he jumped the snap perfectly on one of the plays where I noticed Bortles tipped the snap, and from where I was sitting, he appeared to be watching Bortles, and not the ball, when he did it.  I was watching to see if someone was going to jump the snap, and it looked like it happened.