Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Best breaking & entering deterrents
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
So.. someone tried to break into my home last night.

This was discovered as the lock on our back sliding glass door was jammed this morning. Some items which were left on the table on our back porch were taken and the lock on the gate to our backyard was busted.

Apparently they tried to lift the sliding glass door over the lock and it got stuck. The cops think it was teenagers as there have been other incidents in the neighborhood here and there where unlocked cars have been burglarized. It takes huge cojones or incredible stupidity to break into someone's house when the driveway indicates people are home.

I have dogs, but they were sleeping in my bedroom on the opposite side of the house and did not hear anything. Obviously nobody wants this to happen and I'm grateful to not have a cheap sliding door on my home. My concern is not stuff being taken. My concern is my family feeling violated or terrorized.

Replacing the lock on my backyard gate and looking into a motion detector with flood light and camera.

What other deterrents have you guys found to be effective which I can look into.
A good alarm system with door sensors would be a good idea too.
I have flood lights with motion sensors on all corners of the house and out-built garage.  Aim them at possible points of entry.

A camera (even a dummy camera) mounted near the more vulnerable or concealed points of entry is a good idea too. 

[Image: pDSP1-18588072v750.jpg]

I have these visible in many places. Also camera system that detects motion and alarms in the zones I wish.

[Image: 415VRVV1mkL._SX300_.jpg]

IP Cams with motion detection.
All excellent suggestions above. I've been wanting an alarm system for some time. Never could get the wife on board. We got broke into and all of a sudden I have one of the best systems available and a much bigger/better safe. We have a dog but that didn't stop them. So now I've got a system which covers any possible way of entry. Plus, they'll be on camera even outside. And if they still make it in while I'm home, I'll shoot first ask questions later.

Sounds like you were home at the time. If you get a system make sure you get glass break sensors. If they bust a window and don't actually open the door/window the alarm will still go off. If you're away the motion sensors will pick them up and set it off. But, at night when you're home, the motion won't help. So for that reason, I say get the glass break sensors too. Doing that with door/window sensors and motion will pretty much cover you unless they cut a hole in your roof and mission impossible their way into your house.

I know my wife and I felt violated, and we blame ourselves for not doing things earlier. I know how you feel. It took a few weeks for us not to be paranoid. Hang in there.
The make outside motion detectors that set off an alarm so you know if anyone is outside of your house. I have one set up on my front porch because when I'm out back in my shop, I can't hear anyone that comes up. They are fairly inexpensive and a good way to alert you if there is someone lurking around where they shouldn't be.
[Image: 5d6.jpg]

Make sure you grow the moustache.

I have a multi-level system of protection in/on my house.

The most basic is a dog.  I'm down to only one now, but their hearing and ability to wake you if you're sleeping works really well without question.  Even if my dog is asleep she will hear the front or back door open (I don't have a real big home).

I have a pretty good alarm system on my property which includes cameras.

The final line of defense is a few choice weapons hidden in strategic areas of my home.  My wife and I are both trained on how to use said weapons including the important issue of knowing what you're shooting at and what is behind your target.

After those lines of defense I have a cell phone where I can call 911.

Some liberal was just hungry and lookin to eat..
IMO, dogs are overrated as being a deterrent. However, if you have a pet bear or alligator you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I'd even flaunt it. If the neighborhood teens see you out front playing frisbee with a bear, they'll know you're too [BLEEP] up of a person to even try to rob. Maybe it is all your fault since you don't have a manly pet like that.

If all the suggestions above, including the bear, don't work, I suggest just moving to a nicer neighborhood.
Quote:Some liberal was just hungry and lookin to eat..
Lol, I've been trying to keep that aspect out of it. However I was wondering what he thought of the guns suggestions. I've read enough of the political section to realize that's not his option.

Then I was thinking about him driving a hybrid with a "I'm with Her" bumper sticker and crooks laughing at a fake "I don't call 911" sign in his window.
A neighbor with crappy deterrents. 

Quote:[Image: pDSP1-18588072v750.jpg]
That was my initial solution to our next door neighbors being broken into a couple of years ago. We have since installed alarms on the doors, have motion sensor floodlights at different points and a camera system at both the front and back doors. And a .45. I'm here alone overnight 6 months out of the year and my husband works over an hour away from home so I don't take chances.
A good alarm system is not only good protection from and identification (cameras) for burglars, they are also good Fire protection if equipped with smoke alarms.

3 years ago,, I was away from home. I got a phone call from my alarm monitor informing me that the smoke alarm at my house was triggered. Because of the alarm company, the fire department was there within 7 minutes. It prevented my home from going up completely in flames. I ended up with only minimal structure damage and some smoke damage.

I'll always have my alarm system due to that fact.

To the OP:

I have motion sensor flood lights around my property where needed. I have motion sensors inside the home just in case someone were to intrude by breaking a window and not opening it or a door. Cameras also help.
https://manything.com

This can be pretty cheap and quick if you have an old/extra device laying around.
[Image: 34905.jpg]

Quote:[Image: 34905.jpg]

For when those pesky T-1000's steal the newspaper.
Quote:https://manything.com

This can be pretty cheap and quick if you have an old/extra device laying around.

That's cool.
Pages: 1 2 3 4