Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jags Safeties Are The Worst in The NFL
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
PFF is not perfect as stats are not everything but it is a lot better than wishful thinking.  Of the safeties with enough snaps accumulated to be rated by PFF here is how ours stand among the 85 rated.

Johnathan Cypien       74th out of 85

Winston Guy               79th out of 85

Josh Evans                 80th out of 85 

It isn't about Cyprien love or Cyprien hate, its about a terrible performance that isn't getting better.  So how did they do in 2013?

Johnathan Cypien       84th out of 86

Winston Guy               73th out of 86

Josh Evans                 78th out of 86

If you look through PFF for ratings by position Jags safeties have the worst ratings of any position on the team and maybe the the worst group at any position in the NFL.  Winston Guy was cut for his performance so how does the performance of the other two look to you in comparison to Winston Guy?

Don't Blame the Cornerbacks, Who Are Doing Their Jobs

Again, per PFF, where our cornerbacks stand in comparison to the rest of the league.

Demetrius McCray   36th of 112

Alan Ball                   48th of 112

Dwayne Gratz          66th of 112

Will Blackmon           96th of 112

And in 2013?

Alan Ball                   22nd of 110  tied

Will Blackmon           22nd of 110  tied

Dwayne Gratz          42nd of  110

Mike Harris               55th of   110

Its the safety position that is killng the Jags.  We have an extremely young offense who are playing reasonably well at most positions given their inexperience, other than Bortles, who is going through his rookie quarterback learning curve and El Joke who is near the bottom of offensive tackles.  Most of the defense is doing pretty well and we would probably have some wins if not for the breakdowns at safety.
Jedd Fisch

When the whole team is bad, it is like shooting fish in a barrel.  Bad follows bad and everything is junk.  Until we see better play from someone or anyone it is kinda of tough to just go yeah it is those 2 players.

This team is awful almost everywhere.
That's some fine drafting right there!
Don't blame The Linebackers, Who Are Doing Their Jobs

Just to push on the issue some more I looked up the PFF stats on our linebackers.  

Because Telvin Smith has not played enough at a single position to accumulate sufficient snaps to be rated among those with major snaps at either OLB or MLB I had to use the ratings for him from among those who played any snaps at one of those two positions for a 4-3 defense so the comparisons are a little distorted for him unlike those for everyone else whose ratings I have posted.

MLB

Paul Posluszny         33 of 61

OLB

Geno Hayes              20 of 36

J.T. Thomas               23 of 36

Using the ratings for MLB and OLB for a 4-3 defense and including everyone who has taken snaps at those positions here is where Telvin Smith stands.

OLB    12th of 89

MLB    30th of 117

After the safety position the next decision for the Jags is going to be whether a new OC and a hence a new system would be more or less damaging to their flock of rookie offense players than the continuing mediocrity of the Dead Fish we have in charge of the offense now.  I will leave that to other wiser posters.

Excellent post. Gives some substance to opinions about our players. I've never been totally convinced by PFF rankings for positions outside the trenches, but using them as a general comparison rather than a detailed one is a pretty good way to see general ratings.
I thought Gus is a defensive guru? I'm being serious. If this was the case, they wouldn't suck this bad. Especially with his own players...smh
To sum it up this season. We are doo doo.
McCray is a boss tho

Wait..... I thought Cyprien just "looked" bad cuz he's covering for everyone else....

/sarcasm

I've been saying that Cyprien in particular is a liability as a safety, being such a high draft choice.

Evans was a 6th rounder so I don't really expect much from him anyway.
We need to spend big in free agency
It certainly couldn't hurt to sign a legit free agent safety.

Nothing new here. We are the worst.

We are the worst in almost every position beside DL

If you actually sit and read/analyze PFF, then you may have a problem.

Quote:We are the worst in almost every position beside DL
And RB.  (4.2 yards per carry is 12th in the league)
Quote:When the whole team is bad, it is like shooting fish in a barrel.  Bad follows bad and everything is junk.  Until we see better play from someone or anyone it is kinda of tough to just go yeah it is those 2 players.

This team is awful almost everywhere.
But the defensive line is playing at a top level. You'd figure the safeties should be having a field day back there from pressure but Cyprien sucks and we just dont have a free safety. Only thing is starting material in our secondary unit is a 7th rounder. Not enough film on Colvin to make a determination.
Cyprien seems to be a bust while we have no answer at free safety.  Big upgrades needed in the secondary and LB.

Quote:Don't Blame the Cornerbacks, Who Are Doing Their Jobs

Again, per PFF, where our cornerbacks stand in comparison to the rest of the league.

Demetrius McCray   36th of 112

Alan Ball                   48th of 112

Dwayne Gratz          66th of 112

Will Blackmon           96th of 112

And in 2013?

Alan Ball                   22nd of 110  tied

Will Blackmon           22nd of 110  tied

Dwayne Gratz          42nd of  110

Mike Harris               55th of   110

Its the safety position that is killng the Jags.  We have an extremely young offense who are playing reasonably well at most positions given their inexperience, other than Bortles, who is going through his rookie quarterback learning curve and El Joke who is near the bottom of offensive tackles.  Most of the defense is doing pretty well and we would probably have some wins if not for the breakdowns at safety.

Thanks for the info.

Looking at just the CBs, it appears that 1) they all dropped off except McCray who didn't have stats last year, and 2) maybe we should have kept Mike Harris. Blackmon in particular is playing really terribly this year after a great 2013, and that's obvious PFF or not.

I'm a bit skeptical of PFF's ratings for safeties and LBs, but they seem to be accurate for other positions. While Cyprien and Evans have been disappointing, I don't think our safeties have played as badly as PFF's ratings makes them out to be.

Pages: 1 2