Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Army's Last Vietnam-Era Draftee Retires After 42 Years
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Army's Last Vietnam-Era Draftee Retires After 42 Years

The Army’s last Vietnam-era draftee has retired after 42 years of active service.

Ralph Rigby was on “Fox and Friends” this morning to discuss his decades-long career in the military.

Rigby was drafted at 19 and said he briefly considered fleeing to Canada, but his mother told him he had a duty to the United States. This October, he retired on his 62nd birthday after more than four decades in the military.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2014/11/26/ar...r-42-years

Dang...didn't know they let you stay in that long! Lol

Quote:Dang...didn't know they let you stay in that long! Lol
My Grandfather was in Vietnam. He served for nearly 40 years in both the Marines and the Army. He was even awarded a Purple Heart too. 

Even to this day, he rarely shares with us any of his stories about Nam or the war in general. One of the saddest and darkest chapters in American history...
Quote:My Grandfather was in Vietnam. He served for nearly 40 years in both the Marines and the Army. He was even awarded a Purple Heart too. 

Even to this day, he rarely shares with us any of his stories about Nam or the war in general. One of the saddest and darkest chapters in American history...

That's awesome...the part about him being in so long I mean, not the Nam part.

Quote:That's awesome...the part about him being in so long I mean, not the Nam part.
Thank you!

He joined around 1967 after being a Cadet in the Civil Air Patrol, and finally retired in 2009.
I have a deep respect and appreciation for American Veterans. As a first generation American I don't have any family connected to American history but what America stood for is how my family ended up here.