Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Interesting collection of Jaguars data
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's been a long time since any of us could spend November/December working out playoff scenarios for our Jags.  I can't actually believe I'm missing the days where we got our hearts crushed by yet another late season collapse or blown divisional game. This really has been a tough 4 year stretch to be a Jags fan, and we're all dealing with it however we can.  Most of us are trying to figure out exactly what we have with this team.  Do we have the talent?  Are the gametime decisions driving us down? Is our arrow pointing up or simply flatlining?  It's impossible to answer any of these questions without data or the ability to analyze.

I've always liked reading the breakdowns after our games (most specifically the breakdowns by Bullseye and NYC4Jags), and I think sites like PFF and Football Outsiders give some interesting data points and statistics to compare against the eye test.  What I haven't found up until today was a site that compressed important game stats into an easily digestible format.  I randomly stumbled onto NFLSavant from another website today, and it's a pretty interesting take on accumulating data-- it parses the gamecast from NFL.com to generate what happens each play of each game.  Obviously it won't be perfect--sometimes I disagree with the play breakdown on the gamecast--but it's a really cool way to start viewing data.  The link for the 2014 Jags is here.

Some things it shows right off the bat without doing much work on my end:

• As we all know, our 3rd quarter point total is pitiful. We can't depend on the second half looking anything like the first.
  • If we're passing on 1st down, it's a very good bet we're going short right with it. Strangely, on 2nd down we go short left.
  • We didn't get ANY discernable rush to the right side of the line last week.  
  • Our 3rd down conversion rate is dropping steadily since the Chargers game
  • We've got an exceptional Deep Left pass defense.  Clearly shows McCray's impact.
  • Gerhart has 8 rushes in the red zone for 1 TD; Robinson has 12 for 4 (albeit this isn't a very strong comparison)

It also has the data for previous years as well.  If I find some time it might be interesting to track trends. I thought some others might think this is cool as well.

Keeping it short and sweet, McCray has definately upgraded the position surpassed Ball and Blackmon's absence...

#McCray...

NH3...
Quote: Do we have the talent? No

Are the gametime decisions driving us down? Yes

Is our arrow pointing up or simply flatlining? Down
The arrow could be pointing up, but I can't help but feel like all the young talent that's being brought in really isn't being used correctly.

Quote:The arrow could be pointing up, but I can't help but feel like all the young talent that's being brought in really isn't being used correctly.
We can only hope so; coaching staffs can be changed quickly, bad draft picks take years to recover from...
Quote:It's been a long time since any of us could spend November/December working out playoff scenarios for our Jags.  I can't actually believe I'm missing the days where we got our hearts crushed by yet another late season collapse or blown divisional game. This really has been a tough 4 year stretch to be a Jags fan, and we're all dealing with it however we can.  Most of us are trying to figure out exactly what we have with this team.  Do we have the talent?  Are the gametime decisions driving us down? Is our arrow pointing up or simply flatlining?  It's impossible to answer any of these questions without data or the ability to analyze.

I've always liked reading the breakdowns after our games (most specifically the breakdowns by Bullseye and NYC4Jags), and I think sites like PFF and Football Outsiders give some interesting data points and statistics to compare against the eye test.  What I haven't found up until today was a site that compressed important game stats into an easily digestible format.  I randomly stumbled onto NFLSavant from another website today, and it's a pretty interesting take on accumulating data-- it parses the gamecast from NFL.com to generate what happens each play of each game.  Obviously it won't be perfect--sometimes I disagree with the play breakdown on the gamecast--but it's a really cool way to start viewing data.  The link for the 2014 Jags is here.

Some things it shows right off the bat without doing much work on my end:

• As we all know, our 3rd quarter point total is pitiful. We can't depend on the second half looking anything like the first.
  • If we're passing on 1st down, it's a very good bet we're going short right with it. Strangely, on 2nd down we go short left.
  • We didn't get ANY discernable rush to the right side of the line last week.  
  • Our 3rd down conversion rate is dropping steadily since the Chargers game
  • We've got an exceptional Deep Left pass defense.  Clearly shows McCray's impact.
  • Gerhart has 8 rushes in the red zone for 1 TD; Robinson has 12 for 4 (albeit this isn't a very strong comparison)

It also has the data for previous years as well.  If I find some time it might be interesting to track trends. I thought some others might think this is cool as well.

Good stuff.  Thanks for sharing.