Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The Jaguars sure do get mentioned a lot during primetime games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I hear "Jaguars" a lot during Sunday/Monday/Thursday night games.  Usually, it's in reference to schedules but I always chuckle anyway.

Example - Last night, Gruden mentioned that Forsett, D. Smith and Monroe were all former Jaguars who are now making noise with the Ravens (paraphrasing).

There are other examples as well (eg. Del Rio, Knighton, Mincey, Durant).

At least we got that going for us...

Haven't heard much about Gabbert. Or MJD, Uche, Landry, Greg Jones, Don Carey, Gerald Alexander etc.

There's examples on both ends of the spectrum.
Durant was playing great until injured.
Quote:I hear "Jaguars" a lot during Sunday/Monday/Thursday night games. Usually, it's in reference to schedules but I always chuckle anyway.

Example - Last night, Gruden mentioned that Forsett, D. Smith and Monroe were all former Jaguars who are now making noise with the Ravens (paraphrasing).

There are other examples as well (eg. Del Rio, Knighton, Mincey, Durant).

At least we got that going for us...

Don't forget Reggie Nelson.
They are just disappointed they can't do one of our awesome games
The question is this:  are we simply not good at identifying talent?  Developing it? 

For example - Forsett is playing well for the Ravens.  Is it the scheme?  Better coaching?  

Quote:The question is this: are we simply not good at identifying talent? Developing it?

For example - Forsett is playing well for the Ravens. Is it the scheme? Better coaching?

Kubiak system. He's 28 years old. If he hasn't developed by now then there isn't any hope. Also its hard to identity talent when you're not able to suit up. Best ability is availability. Lo and behold he's fully healthy this year because he wasn't last year.
Should be interesting to see how Nantz and Simms handle their final blockbuster Thursday night game....

D

The problem is that we (Jags) relied on those players to be the stars (playmakers) whereas the teams they are currently on only require them to be role players in a good system.

Quote:Durant was playing great until injured.

I heard he was the leading tackler and played all three linebacker positions in Dallas.
Quote:The problem is that we (Jags) relied on those players to be the stars (playmakers) whereas the teams they are currently on only require them to be role players in a good system.

You obviously have not been paying attention. Justin Forsett, Eugene Monroe, Daryl Smith, Rashad Jennings, Rashean Mathis, Terrance Knighton, and Justin Durant (when healthy) are starters. Steve Weatherford is a punter and punters are not considered role players. D6 probably can name another former Jaguar who is starting for the Lions.
Quote:You obviously have not been paying attention. Justin Forsett, Eugene Monroe, Daryl Smith, Rashad Jennings, Rashean Mathis, Terrance Knighton, and Justin Durant (when healthy) are starters. Steve Weatherford is a punter and punters are not considered role players. D6 probably can name another former Jaguar who is starting for the Lions.

If not for the injury factor,  Rashean Mathis would be the only former Jaguars player starting for the Lions.   Mathis has certainly been a winning level player in his 2 seasons with the team and is a significant reason why the Lions have one of the top Defensive units in the NFL.

C.J. Mosley is currently starting at DT because of the knee injury to Nick Fairley that occurred against the Falcons in London last month.  Mosley has had a good overall season,  excluding his 1 game suspension.   But he's clearly a better fit as a # 3 DT than as a starting DT.   Ideally,  Mosely would be a role player on some run downs.   

Don Carey is a good role player,  as he is a situational Nickel Back,  # 4 Safety,  and a high level Special Teams player.

On the downside,  Julian Stanford is not having a good season after coming off the Practice Squad.   Stanford plays primarily on Special Teams but has made too many penalties.   He also had a missed tackle on a Punt Return in New England the other day and in a rare opportunity at LB,  missed a tackle in limited action.

Montell Owens landed on I.R. for the 2nd straight season and likely won't be re-signed in 2015 because of the durability factor/ age combo. 
Quote:If not for the injury factor,  Rashean Mathis would be the only former Jaguars player starting for the Lions.   Mathis has certainly been a winning level player in his 2 seasons with the team and is a significant reason why the Lions have one of the top Defensive units in the NFL.

C.J. Mosley is currently starting at DT because of the knee injury to Nick Fairley that occurred against the Falcons in London last month.  Mosley has had a good overall season,  excluding his 1 game suspension.   But he's clearly a better fit as a # 3 DT than as a starting DT.   Ideally,  Mosely would be a role player on some run downs.   

Don Carey is a good role player,  as he is a situational Nickel Back,  # 4 Safety,  and a high level Special Teams player.

On the downside,  Julian Stanford is not having a good season after coming off the Practice Squad.   Stanford plays primarily on Special Teams but has made too many penalties.   He also had a missed tackle on a Punt Return in New England the other day and in a rare opportunity at LB,  missed a tackle in limited action.

Montell Owens landed on I.R. for the 2nd straight season and likely won't be re-signed in 2015 because of the durability factor/ age combo. 

Sorry to hear that. I always pull for guys from Wagner. Not that there are many. In fact, he may be the only one.
Quote:Sorry to hear that. I always pull for guys from Wagner. Not that there are many. In fact, he may be the only one.

I'm certainly pulling for Julian Stanford but it doesn't seem like he's as focused as he needs to be.   One example is he was called for a taunting penalty on Punt Coverage in the game at Arizona when the Lions trailed by 8 points with around 3 minutes remaining in the game.  

In the current NFL,  I can't think of any other player from Wagner.