Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: i don't understand this message board
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have been seeing countless users hate on Todd wash but give love to hacket. You guys know we had the 6th ranked defense and no offense right?
Clearly, making the same thread twice.
6th ranked defense, that's just spinning the numbers. I don't think many of us are buying that hype. As for defending Hackett, I certainly won't. 

I have no real issue with him. He was a first time D coordinator and gave us a top 10 defense and one of the best secondaries in the league. I mean it's a really young group that he's working with. You won't find anyone better to hire out there right now and it'll be interesting to see him coordinate without the Gus leash around his neck. 

I think our defense is set, honestly. I think it's all on their development at this point. Mainly the edge rushers. You spent a top 3 pick on Fowler and Ngakoue was behind Bosa in rookie sacks. He was clearly a disruptive force for us. Pass rushers take time to develop so fingers crossed that coaching evolves from here and takes them to the next level. 

Quote:I have been seeing countless users hate on Todd wash but give love to hacket. You guys know we had the 6th ranked defense and no offense right?

Many are fearful that Wash is a Bradley clone who can only coach the 1 failed system. Hackett seemed to have a good feel for the team's strengths and his play calling was pretty good from the first series he took over.
Do we have a d line coach?
Quote:6th ranked defense, that's just spinning the numbers. I don't think many of us are buying that hype. As for defending Hackett, I certainly won't. 

Don't know about "spinning" the numbers, that's what the stats actually have us at.  If there was a problem it was a propensity to give up a big play at the worst time but something to keep in mind is that this was Bradley's defense, I think Hackett got the best out of it that anyone could.  There are a few big names that come to mind but none of them are likely to land in Jacksonville. 
Quote:I have been seeing countless users hate on Todd wash but give love to hacket. You guys know we had the 6th ranked defense and no offense right?

There's a little over 10,000 people on this message board. No way in hell all of us will agree nor see eye to eye on things. 
As far as our defensive ranking in 2016. I am skeptical as well. We got our hopes up about the offensive ranking in 2015 heading into 2016 and that ended up being a huge mistake. Our defense still has some holes and issues that need to be addressed.

We were still pretty lack luster in rushing the passer. Outside of Ngackoue & Jackson we didn't see very much in that department. We didn't create a whole lot of turnovers as well. We ended up tying or setting the longest streak in the course of an NFL season without a turnover at some point last year. 

Then you have to look at the injury concerns. We can't seem to keep Odrick, Marks nor Miller healthy for a full season at all so far. All three of those guys miss too much time and it sets back the rotation on our front four. That's a concern going into this off-season as well. We may also have a glaring need at the CB position once again opposite of Jalen Ramsey if Prince Amukamara decides not to return. 
We had 3 turnovers and we're in the bottom 20's in points allowed. About the only thing we got right was pass defense. Teams also didn't have very far to go because of us turning the ball over on our side and our poor special teams play.
Forget what we was ranked in total yardage.. Its about not letting teams score.. What was the scoring defense rank?? The jags let teams score all over them.. Only 3 games they didnt let a team score over 20.. The defense gave up costly scores... Y'all stop being fooled by numbers.. And use your eyes.. Didn't Blake fool y'all enough by looking at his past numbers???
Quote:There's a little over 10,000 people on this message board. No way in hell all of us will agree nor see eye to eye on things. 

Quote:Forget what we was ranked in total yardage.. Its about not letting teams score.. What was the scoring defense rank?? The jags let teams score all over them.. Only 3 games they didnt let a team score over 20.. The defense gave up costly scores... Y'all stop being fooled by numbers.. And use your eyes.. Didn't Blake fool y'all enough by looking at his past numbers???
16 ints along with a ton of fumbles by our offense led to a lot of those points
I thought Hackett did an impressive job with the terd he was handed. He's not the one throwing bone headed interceptions, fumbling the ball nor is he responsible for the injuries.

It's because the year before there were posters who didn't like the scheme and felt that it held us back. The stats were the stats then. When the defense made a turn around this year, all of a sudden, yardage totals are a misleading stat...

I like Wash as long as he play-calls more aggressively with a lead and late in games.  It will be interesting to see how he adapts his scheme without Bradley's influence. 

I liked Hackett's ability to jump start a dormant run game and the way he mitigated Blake's mistakes. It will be interesting to see what he and Marrone come up with when they aren't running Olson's playbook. 

I feel pretty optimistic that both coordinators ( if Hackett is indeed the guy) will do well under Marrone. 

Jags gave up 400 points yet the Patriots gave up 250 points.

Jags are ranked #6

Patriots are ranked #8

The fact that teams were throwing against the Pats in the 2nd half in attempt to play catchup instead of running against the Jags D to kill the clock and get out with a win doesn't make our defense better.
Quote:We had 3 turnovers and we're in the bottom 20's in points allowed. About the only thing we got right was pass defense. Teams also didn't have very far to go because of us turning the ball over on our side and our poor special teams play.

Skewed stats:

1)  Thursday Night --- Halftime -- Titans 27 - Jags 0

Final stats:  Titans 23 passes for 280 yards //  Jags 54 passes for 322 yards ---> Jags defense looks better that week.  We gave up 42 less yards in passing.

2) Chargers 38 - Jags 14

Final stats:  Chargers 24 passes for 220 yards  //  Jags 50 passes for 329 yards ---> Jags defense looks better that week.  We game up 109 yards less in passing.
Quote:Skewed stats:

1)  Thursday Night --- Halftime -- Titans 27 - Jags 0

Final stats:  Titans 23 passes for 280 yards //  Jags 54 passes for 322 yards ---> Jags defense looks better that week.  We gave up 42 less yards in passing.

2) Chargers 38 - Jags 14

Final stats:  Chargers 24 passes for 220 yards  //  Jags 50 passes for 329 yards ---> Jags defense looks better that week.  We game up 109 yards less in passing.

This can go around in circles all day long.

The chargers low passing numbers had plenty to do with Blake's 3 turnovers and the bolts were working with a short field often  - then they just fed Gordon at the end who gained over 100 yards rushing. 

The passing stats in the tacks game is irrelevant since they rushed for over 200 yards. 

N/M   - I guess we're saying the same thing here. 

Regardless of how one skews/colors the overall yards given up ranking  --  it's plain to see there's plenty of talent on the defensive side of the football. 

Give me an upgrade at SS, re-sign Amukamara (or draft a CB early-ish),  and acquire one more pass rusher/disrupter and I think Wash can get it done with this unit. 

D stats are misleading. Defense looked good against buffalo in the first half, then sucked in the 2nd half. Wash sucks.
Welp! They can both be upgraded.

Pages: 1 2 3