Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Buying a new computer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have a question for the computer people here.  i am getting a new desktop.  My wife and I cruise the internet, listen to music, stream some videos and save pictures on ours.  I see at Best Buy they have a good deal in a all in one computer (link below).  It has 1 terabyte hard drive and 4 GB of memory.  My question is, with what i typically use the computer for (see above) is this a sufficient computer with good speed?  

I admit I know nothing about computers and know if I go in to buy one without some advice I will end up buying whatever the employee suggests.  It is a Dell.  Are they any good?  I currently have a HP.  If this isn't a good one does anyone have any suggestions?  I prefer to stay under 600.

Thanks for any help people can provide. 

I posted the link to the computer here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiro...Id=5954009

While I personally wouldn't go with an all in one, that's a pretty good price and do what you're wanting.  You could possibly build one cheaper if you have a monitor already. 

Oh lord.  This is going to turn out like a pretty girl walking into a room full of men and asking for driving directions.

I bought a desktop with 1 TB hard drive 4 or 5 years ago? My wife takes pictures of the 4 kids I swear in motion, 100 pictures of this one moment and loads them ALL onto the computer, every week. I'm not even close to being half full on memory. To me it's so much hard drive I don't think I could ever use it all in a lifetime. 

It also has 4GB of memory so it sounds like we have about the same stuff, it's an HP pavilion p6000 (I only know this because I'm looking at the sticker as I type it) and I paid 399 but that was without the monitor. So it looks like a good buy, just sucks you're stuck with Windows 8. I hate windows 8. 

I personally don't like any "canned" computers or "all-in-one" type machines.  They aren't as flexible as far as upgrades (a very necessary aspect when looking at a computer) and they are way over priced.  However, given your needs and what you use your computer for, yes it will do the job that you need it to do.

My advice to you would be as follows.

1. Stay away from any "media" or "gamer" type computers.
  2. Consider possibly getting a laptop if you are looking at saving space or an "all-in-one" solution.
  3. Look for a computer that comes with Windows 7 or the option to install Windows 7.  RUN AWAY FAST from any machine running Windows 8 variants.
I have a machine that is around 2 years old that beats the specs of the machine that you posted that I built for a little more than your budget price (2 years ago).  Prices have come down on components, and I'm sure that you can build a good quality machine that will last several years for less than your budget, and that includes a good monitor.

My current personal desktop machine specs are as follows.

• 6x AMD FX-6100 Processor (6 cores)
  • 16GB of RAM
  • Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 Video card - (This is old)
  • 2 Samsung SyncMaster 2243 Monitors
  • 360GB SSD OS Hard drive - I dual boot between Windows and Linux
  • 1TB Storage Hard drive
  • Blue Ray R/W Optical Drive
The specs of my machine are WAY more than what you need.  If my memory serves me correctly, I built the machine for around $600 two years ago.  Again, it's way more than what you would need and prices for parts are way lower.

The bottom line is, get the Dell if that's what you are comfortable with and it's within your budget.  If you want advice and help getting a better machine at a lower price, perhaps I can help you out.

Quote:I bought a desktop with 1 TB hard drive 4 or 5 years ago? My wife takes pictures of the 4 kids I swear in motion, 100 pictures of this one moment and loads them ALL onto the computer, every week. I'm not even close to being half full on memory. To me it's so much hard drive I don't think I could ever use it all in a lifetime. 

It also has 4GB of memory so it sounds like we have about the same stuff, it's an HP pavilion p6000 (I only know this because I'm looking at the sticker as I type it) and I paid 399 but that was without the monitor. So it looks like a good buy, just sucks you're stuck with Windows 8. I hate windows 8. 

LOL.  I love hearing "non-geeks" talk about their computers.  You are not even close to being half full on storage space, not memory.  Those are two different things.

Think of it this way.

Storage space = hard drive capacity.  This is how much information that you can store.  Since the information is saved or "stored" it is always there, even if you power your computer off.  I have a media server in my home where I store movies (in HD), music and photos.  I have two 1TB hard drives in that computer, and they are almost full.  That is over 400 movies, around 100 songs and a butt-load of photos.

Memory = what your computer uses to do a task.  As an example, I typically use a program called AutoCAD which is all computations used to draw things.  The computer memory solves the addition, subtraction, etc. whenever I draw a line, make a circle, etc.  The more memory that I have, the faster that the computer can solve the problems.  This information is gone when you close the program or shut down your computer.
Wow, thanks guys. I appreciate the input.
Quote:Oh lord.  This is going to turn out like a pretty girl walking into a room full of men and asking for driving directions.

Now that's funny...and so true!!!
I am a big Best Buy fan now. Their two-year warranty is for up to three computers, not just the one you buy. In addition to the Geek Squad for in-store repairs, they have 24/7 phone and online tech support. When Mom bought the new computer, someone asked her if she wants a word processor. GS installed Microsoft Office 365 and (for $80) transferred all of my files from the HP hard drive. I only wish they remembered to put the power cord back in the box after doing that.

I was looking for an all-in-one desktop PC. My brand preference was basically anything but Apple. I had never heard of Asus until Saturday. Two Best Buy employees said they like it. I hope I do because it is mine.

Jagibelieve, I was thinking about drastically reducing the number of cords, getting rid of the speaker system, and having one less piece of furniture in my room. I asked about upgrading to Windows 10 and the guy said yes, I can do that.

Quote:I am a big Best Buy fan now. Their two-year warranty is for up to three computers, not just the one you buy. In addition to the Geek Squad for in-store repairs, they have 24/7 phone and online tech support. When Mom bought the new computer, someone asked her if she wants a word processor. GS installed Microsoft Office 365 and (for $80) transferred all of my files from the HP hard drive. I only wish they remembered to put the power cord back in the box after doing that.

I was looking for an all-in-one desktop PC. My brand preference was basically anything but Apple. I had never heard of Asus until Saturday. Two Best Buy employees said they like it. I hope I do because it is mine.

Jagibelieve, I was thinking about drastically reducing the number of cords, getting rid of the speaker system, and having one less piece of furniture in my room. I asked about upgrading to Windows 10 and the guy said yes, I can do that.
They suckered you into buying an entire new machine? Did they say what was wrong with the previous computer? I'm willing to bet is was something cheaper than buying a whole new computer.
Quote:They suckered you into buying an entire new machine? Did they say what was wrong with the previous computer? I'm willing to bet it was something cheaper than buying a whole new computer.

The old computer was dead on arrival. After being unplugged Saturday, it never turned on again.
Question: How do I mute the videos that open at the top of every NFL.com article?

Quote:Question: How do I mute the videos that open at the top of every NFL.com article?

Stick your fingers in your ears.
Quote:I am a big Best Buy fan now. Their two-year warranty is for up to three computers, not just the one you buy. In addition to the Geek Squad for in-store repairs, they have 24/7 phone and online tech support. When Mom bought the new computer, someone asked her if she wants a word processor. GS installed Microsoft Office 365 and (for $80) transferred all of my files from the HP hard drive. I only wish they remembered to put the power cord back in the box after doing that.

I think ASUS is a good choice, but a lot of what they said benefits them more than you.  I'm not a fan of buying warranties if that's what you are talking about  It's a waste of money and you already have a manufacturer warranty which they have nothing to do with.   I'm also not a fan of Office, I'd just use Google Docs (or whatever google calls it now) or any number of the free alternatives (LibraOffice or OpenOffice) .  If I'm not mistaking the $80 price is only for a ONE YEAR subscription.  And you'll have to pay more money after that to keep using it.

Oh, and Windows 10 hasn't even been released yet.  So I don't really know exactly what the guy was telling you there.   
Quote:I think ASUS is a good choice, but a lot of what they said benefits them more than you.  I'm not a fan of buying warranties if that's what you are talking about  It's a waste of money and you already have a manufacturer warranty which they have nothing to do with.   I'm also not a fan of Office, I'd just use Google Docs (or whatever google calls it now) or any number of the free alternatives (LibraOffice or OpenOffice) .  If I'm not mistaking the $80 price is only for a ONE YEAR subscription.  And you'll have to pay more money after that to keep using it.

Oh, and Windows 10 hasn't even been released yet.  So I don't really know exactly what the guy was telling you there.   

I can upgrade to Windows 10 when it is released in less than 12 months. It is currently in beta testing.

When I got Microsoft Office 2007 on my old computer, there was no expiration date. Once it was installed, I could use it until the computer died. So I have no idea what you are talking about. Mom bought it Sunday so I was not there to ask questions.
I bought a new desktop last Black Friday for just under $300 at CVS. It's a HP Pavilion 1 TB, 8 GB memory, Quad core processor. I think if you stream movies or TV you should make sure you get at least 8 GB memory and Quad Core processor. My old computer just could not process fast enough to watch streamed videos. I bought MLB extra innings it was useless on the old machine, but this new one is plenty fast enough.

Regards.........................the Chiefjag

Quote:I bought a new desktop last Black Friday for just under $300 at CVS. It's a HP Pavilion 1 TB, 8 GB memory, Quad core processor. I think if you stream movies or TV you should make sure you get at least 8 GB memory and Quad Core processor. My old computer just could not process fast enough to watch streamed videos. I bought MLB extra innings it was useless on the old machine, but this new one is plenty fast enough.

Regards.........................the Chiefjag

Sounds like a great deal. I didn't know CVS sold computers on black Friday.
Quote:Sounds like a great deal. I didn't know CVS sold computers on black Friday.

Off the back dock...after dark.
Quote:Sounds like a great deal. I didn't know CVS sold computers on black Friday.

Me either! I've been hitting up the wrong places!!
Quote:I can upgrade to Windows 10 when it is released in less than 12 months. It is currently in beta testing.

When I got Microsoft Office 2007 on my old computer, there was no expiration date. Once it was installed, I could use it until the computer died. So I have no idea what you are talking about. Mom bought it Sunday so I was not there to ask questions.

The pricing for Office 365 is on the Office 365 website.  Microsoft changed to subscription model (monthly or yearly).  I don' t know if you somehow got a deal that gave you a lifetime subscription, but I doubt it.  
Pages: 1 2 3