Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Good Read on the Coach Search
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://jacksonville.com/sports/2017-01-1...ng-process

Quote:Starting Dec. 28, when Khan met with Tom Coughlin, to Jan. 9, when Coughlin was hired as executive vice president of football operations and Marrone was promoted from interim coach, the Jaguars put in the hours to find a new football brain-trust.

<p style="color:rgb(70,70,70);font-family:'Open Sans', sans-serif;font-size:16px;">In each of coaching interviews were Khan, general manager Dave Caldwell, president Mark Lamping, senior vice president-football administration/technologies Tony Khan and Jed Hughes from the Korn Ferry International search firm. Coughlin did not attend any of the interviews.

<div>
<div> 
</div>
</div>

<div>
<div> 
</div>
</div>
<p style="color:rgb(70,70,70);font-family:'Open Sans', sans-serif;font-size:16px;">“It helped me having more people in the process,” Caldwell said. “The first time around [in 2013], it was really just myself and Shad and Tony was involved a little bit. It helped having Mark and the search firm involved. And I understood the structure of how I wanted to do it and what I felt like I needed out of a head coach. I had more specific needs this time than the first time around.”

Khan met with Coughlin about his potential position first and then the guys listed above interviewed Goodwin, Smith, Marrone, Shanahan and McDaniels.

Quote:MONDAY, JAN. 9

<p style="color:rgb(70,70,70);font-family:'Open Sans', sans-serif;font-size:16px;">Marrone and Coughlin hired

<p style="color:rgb(70,70,70);font-family:'Open Sans', sans-serif;font-size:16px;">“Monday is kind of a blur to me,” Caldwell said. “I offered Doug the job. Shad hired Tom. We announced it.”

<p style="color:rgb(70,70,70);font-family:'Open Sans', sans-serif;font-size:16px;">Caldwell estimated he offered Marrone the job, “probably around noon-ish,” and then Khan revealed his decision to hire Coughlin as the head of football operations.

<p style="color:rgb(70,70,70);font-family:'Open Sans', sans-serif;font-size:16px;">“Shad never got into the details of what he was exactly thinking, but I always encouraged it if we could get somebody with [Coughlin’s] experience in the building; it would be great for everybody,” Caldwell said. “Hopefully I have a long period of time to work and if I can garner something from Tom, and Doug feels the same way, it’s a win for everybody.”

I'm glad Shahid came to his senses and hired a legit football brain. TC is exactly what this team needed. When the head man is focused, structured and disciplined the rest will follow or else.
Quote:I'm glad Shahid came to his senses and hired a legit football brain. TC is exactly what this team needed. When the head man is focused, structured and disciplined the rest will follow or else.

That has yet to be proven out.

First hire made was to go get someone who's already been here.

I love the DeCamillis hire, but I hope what we're building is something sustainable on into the future and not just a short lived reunion tour of blasts from the past.
Glad TC is back in some manner
I had the same question as someone who commented on the article.   How did Coughlin narrow his opinion to two candidates if he never participated in any of the interviews?

Quote:I had the same question as someone who commented on the article.   How did Coughlin narrow his opinion to two candidates if he never participated in any of the interviews?

Well, in addition to Coughlin having a working knowledge of these coaches having faced their teams or offensive/defensive units there's also this bit about Khan talking to TC about the candidates:

Quote:As the interviews moved along, Khan remained in contact with Coughlin, who presented him with the two best choices as he saw it.

<p style="color:rgb(70,70,70);font-family:'Open Sans', sans-serif;font-size:16px;">“Doug was one of those and I think by that time, we had decided it was Doug, but I wanted to make sure everybody could work together and they were elated and delighted,” Khan said.

<p style="color:rgb(70,70,70);font-family:'Open Sans', sans-serif;font-size:16px;">The opinion of the committee: Marrone was the top choice and Caldwell was ready to offer him the job.

I personally, would assume that TC based his opinions on his prior knowledge of the candidates and answers to any questions he asked of Khan about them.  He also may have put in a phone call or two to guys who have worked on a staff with the candidates.  Just guessing though. 

Quote:I had the same question as someone who commented on the article.   How did Coughlin narrow his opinion to two candidates if he never participated in any of the interviews?

TC told Khan the names of the 2 candidates when he talked to him on Dec 28.  Marrone was one name and there has been much speculation on who the other name was, with many thinking it was his own name.

i would assume he just had two guys in mind when he talked to the jags front office before any interviews took place.

they probably told him who they were talking to and he said marrone or this guy. 
Quote:TC told Khan the names of the 2 candidates when he talked to him on Dec 28.  Marrone was one name and there has been much speculation on who the other name was, with many thinking it was his own name.

if thats true it almost gives me the same feeling as when we basically double dipped with ramsey and jack. 

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/815903926776197120

<div><a class="" href='https://twitter.com/RapSheet'>Ian RapoportVerified account‏<span style="color:rgb(177,187,195);">@RapSheet</span></a>
</div>

<p class="" style="font-size:26px;"><a class="" href='https://twitter.com/hashtag/Jaguars?src=hash'>#<span>Jaguars</a>[Image: NFL_Season_2016_JAX.png]</span> owner Shad Khan has solicited many opinions on his opening. One Super Bowl-winning coach advised him to promote Doug Marrone.

It's no secret that this was Coughlin.
Quote:https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/815903926776197120

<div style="margin-left:58px;color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;">
<div>Ian RapoportVerified account‏<span style="color:rgb(177,187,195);">@RapSheet</span>
</div>

<p style="font-size:26px;">#Jaguars[Image: NFL_Season_2016_JAX.png] owner Shad Khan has solicited many opinions on his opening. One Super Bowl-winning coach advised him to promote Doug Marrone.

It's no secret that this was Coughlin.

</div>

But couldn't this have been Belichick too? I heard he has always given good recommendations to hiring Doug Marrone to other teams?
Quote:But couldn't this have been Belichick too? I heard he has always given good recommendations to hiring Doug Marrone to other teams?

Really, we're doing this?

You do know Coughlin spoke to Khan just prior to this tweet, and Belichick was no where in sight, right?

You don't think new coach candidates were discussed when Khan met with Coughlin, do you?

You don't think Khan would have let Dave promote Marrone had Coughlin not been in favor, do you?
Quote:Really, we're doing this?

You do know Coughlin spoke to Khan just prior to this tweet, and Belichick was no where in sight, right?

You don't think new coach candidates were discussed when Khan met with Coughlin, do you?

You don't think Khan would have let Dave promote Marrone had Coughlin not been in favor, do you?

Woah....You completely misinterpreted my post. I didn't do my post maliciously or arrogantly at all. I was just curiously asking a question? I know Coughlin was in favor I was just curious too if Belichick gave Khan advice?
Quote:But couldn't this have been Belichick too? I heard he has always given good recommendations to hiring Doug Marrone to other teams?

there were multiple reports that it was belichick. 

likely BB and TC were on the same page with this one. 
I'm simply Loving how Mr. Khan handled this coaching search/front office revamping process. He had a plan that he kept to himself, not even Caldwell knew of his plan. The plan to step away from day to day operations and allow someone else to handle those responsibilities. Coughlin was his man all along and he kept it a secret. Bring Him Home he said. I'm always estatic about our Jaguars but this just feels right on all levels...

Time Will Tell...

NH3...

Quote:Woah....You completely misinterpreted my post. I didn't do my post maliciously or arrogantly at all. I was just curiously asking a question? I know Coughlin was in favor I was just curious too if Belichick gave Khan advice?

For what its worth, I almost made the same post but I knew it would get someone riled up so I didn't post it...lol.
Quote:Really, we're doing this?

LMBO...

NH3...

Quote:there were multiple reports that it was belichick. 

likely BB and TC were on the same page with this one. 
Man, I'm getting really annoyed by all these inside source's tweets.

Coughlin was supposedly only interested in being coach, Belichick for some reason was supposed to be the guy who recommended Marrone.

It's like one "journalist" gives info on a "source" on twitter and suddenly it is presented like a fact from multiple "journalist" only to turn out to be a bunch of BS.

I'm so glad I have never even set up a twitter account.
Quote:I'm simply Loving how Mr. Khan handled this coaching search/front office revamping process. He had a plan that he kept to himself, not even Caldwell knew of his plan. The plan to step away from day to day operations and allow someone else to handle those responsibilities. Coughlin was his man all along and he kept it a secret. Bring Him Home he said. I'm always estatic about our Jaguars but this just feels right on all levels...

Time Will Tell...

NH3...

You have to give Khan credit. After 4 years of him being in charge and things not working, he went out and got the best mind available to run the football things for him.

People often criticized him for being football ignorant, but at least he was astute enough to recognize this and take actions.

Some want to be critical of him because he didn't make the decision earlier, but Khan didn't become a billionaire from making knee jerk decisions. He became a billionaire from making sure he made the best decisions, even if it took more time than expected.
Does it even matter which S.B. winning coach gave Khan advice?  Maybe both of them did?  Maybe it was Billick or Dungy?  Who knows? 

I don't really care.  They've done the damn thing now and we can only hope it results in some W's. 

For the record, I feel pretty good about it as long as TC doesn't go into "full-on dictator mode." 

Pages: 1 2