Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Are We Seeing A Different Strategy Against ISIL?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First this is just a complete theory of something that MIGHT be possibly going on in the background. ISIL we all know is mainly funding their operations in the middle east through the oil being sold on the black market. However this oil is still tied to the price of oil being sold everywhere else. 

Since about mid-summer we've seen a steady decline in the price of oil, I had first thought it was just business as usual elections coming up of course prices are down. But now I'm thinking maybe there's more to it then that, are we seeing a purposeful devaluing of oil by  OPEC and the Western Powers to devalue ISIL's ability to sell oil and fund their operations? 

If you think about it, it's actually a brilliant strategy if that's what we are doing. You don't want to burn their oil fields because that would only drive the cost of oil up eliminating that much from the global market place. But if they take a temporary set back (not even a loss) they directly effect ISIL's ability to generate income to continue their trouble making in the middle east. 

Maybe the idea is to financially starve them out for a little while then hit them hard when they're running dry? Just a thought.

Quote:First this is just a complete theory of something that MIGHT be possibly going on in the background. ISIL we all know is mainly funding their operations in the middle east through the oil being sold on the black market. However this oil is still tied to the price of oil being sold everywhere else. 

Since about mid-summer we've seen a steady decline in the price of oil, I had first thought it was just business as usual elections coming up of course prices are down. But now I'm thinking maybe there's more to it then that, are we seeing a purposeful devaluing of oil by  OPEC and the Western Powers to devalue ISIL's ability to sell oil and fund their operations? 

If you think about it, it's actually a brilliant strategy if that's what we are doing. You don't want to burn their oil fields because that would only drive the cost of oil up eliminating that much from the global market place. But if they take a temporary set back (not even a loss) they directly effect ISIL's ability to generate income to continue their trouble making in the middle east. 

Maybe the idea is to financially starve them out for a little while then hit them hard when they're running dry? Just a thought.
I usually don't pay attention to how much my fill up is, since I fill up so infrequently. However I did notice it was much cheaper out here in Oregon couple days ago. It would be a very interesting strategy though I am not sure I buy current leadership implementing such a plan. 
It was pushing $3.70 down here in the spring, today I'm seeing it as low as $2.79 I'm just curious if it's not by accident? 

Quote:It was pushing $3.70 down here in the spring, today I'm seeing it as low as $2.79 I'm just curious if it's not by accident? 
Dang that is low. I just paid 3.80 I think for premium. Last I noticed was 4.35 maybe?

suppose it could be a grand plan but I doubt it. I'm sure some small group of people are responsible for it and are primed to get a fat payout here soon. 
Interesting theory. The lowest I have seen in my neck of the woods is 2.91 for 87 grade. It didn't cost an arm and a leg to fill up my Silverado. Just an arm this time. So thankful it's paid for.
Reasons:

1. The European economies are a mess and demand is down.

2. Domestic supply doubled since 2008.

3. OPEC finally has competition and it's pushing them to reduce price while production remains constant.

I've seen projections that say oil could drop to $50 per barrel next year barring some calamity in the Middle East. That would mean $1.64 a gallon some 4 months later. I wonder why we're sending ground troops back in....hmmmm...I wonder, wonder, wonder.

Quote:Reasons:

1. The European economies are a mess and demand is down.

2. Domestic supply doubled since 2008.

3. OPEC finally has competition and it's pushing them to reduce price while production remains constant.

I've seen projections that say oil could drop to $50 per barrel next year barring some calamity in the Middle East. That would mean $1.64 a gallon some 4 months later. I wonder why we're sending ground troops back in....hmmmm...I wonder, wonder, wonder.

I'd crap unicorns and rainbows if it goes down to $1.64 a gallon! 
Quote:I'd crap unicorns and rainbows if it goes down to $1.64 a gallon! 

The average was $1.59 in December of 2009 after a peak of $4.08 that summer. It stayed under $2.60 a gallon for almost all of 2010, so it's not that unreasonable to say that it could easily happen again, especially if Europe goes further in the tank and we see continued stagnancy in the USA.