Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Caldwell - "Important to be patient"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
… but then followed that with "We shouldn't be having this conversation next year."  

Nice to hear.  

http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/vid...84687c43e8

So Gus isn't getting fired?
I love Caldwell interviews. 

Quote:So Gus isn't getting fired?

I hope not, but, if we are having this conversation next year? Yes.
Great read.

This is good to hear. Next year is the "make or break" year for DC and Gus

I believe we will continue to get better, but I'd feel a lot better if it looked possible to make a splash or two in FA. Not sure that'll happen
8-8 next year or staff is gone. DC has brought in talent, but if Gus and co don't utilize it, we need to find someone who can.
Quote:… but then followed that with "We shouldn't be having this conversation next year."  

Nice to hear.  

http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/vid...84687c43e8

I'm so excited to see what this team will look like after another draft (we'll be selecting a bluechip prospect) and FA class, this Jaguar team is going to surprise people in 2015. I can (without wearing teal glasses) see this team going from worst to first in our awful division, this roster is a lot better than what people think.
Quote:8-8 next year or staff is gone. DC has brought in talent, but if Gus and co don't utilize it, we need to find someone who can.

I think the order of firing will go

Next year Jedd Fisch 

If the following year not 8-8 

Gus gets canned 

I think they give Gus 2 more years no matter what. Not saying I hope he isn't successful. I absolutely love Gus, we just gotta start seeing some wins now. 
It sounds good, i just dont see a jump to 8-8/9-7 a year from now.
Quote:It sounds good, i just dont see a jump to 8-8/9-7 a year from now.
it really all depends on Bortles development
Im glad he said that about next year so all the zombies on here cant bust out excuse after excuse if we suck next year. You give a regime 3 years of drafts and free agency no matter the type of rebuild you should be in the playoffs or folks gotta go. They just didn't get it done.
Quote:Im glad he said that about next year so all the zombies on here cant bust out excuse after excuse if we suck next year. You give a regime 3 years of drafts and free agency no matter the type of rebuild you should be in the playoffs or folks gotta go. They just didn't get it done.

The timetable was set when they were hired. He's just reiterating what most us already knew.

Welcome aboard.
Quote:It sounds good, i just dont see a jump to 8-8/9-7 a year from now.

It is hard to see this current team, that's 1-8 right now, turning it around all the way to an 8-8/9-7 season next year.

That's quite a leap.

Sure, they should definitely be a better team next year, but 8-8/9-7 better, I don't really see that happening.

I sure hope they prove me wrong.

They still have some work to do to even match last years win total.

At this point, I would be happy to see a repeat of 4 wins in the 2nd half of the season, I'm sure we all would.
Quote:It is hard to see this current team, that's 1-8 right now, turning it around all the way to an 8-8/9-7 season next year.

That's quite a leap.

Sure, they should definitely be a better team next year, but 8-8/9-7 better, I don't really see that happening.

I sure hope they prove me wrong.

They still have some work to do to even match last years win total.

At this point, I would be happy to see a repeat of 4 wins in the 2nd half of the season, I'm sure we all would.

Its not that far of a stretch. Looking at this year we were a few handful of plays away from winning some of these games.

Eagles, Steelers, Cincinnati, Miami. We could easily be a 5-4 or 6-3 team just as easy as we are an 1-8 team. The only games that were completely out of hand were the Indy and Redskins game but Henne was still starting. Its all about cleaning up the mistakes and capitalizing on the opportunities that present itself throughout the game. If Bortles develops thru this season and the offseason this team will be on the fast track to relevance.
Quote:I'm so excited to see what this team will look like after another draft (we'll be selecting a bluechip prospect) and FA class, this Jaguar team is going to surprise people in 2015. I can (without wearing teal glasses) see this team going from worst to first in our awful division, this roster is a lot better than what people think.
I hope you're right but the Colts are looking really really solid.  The offense is explosive, and for once they have a D to go with it.  I think we are all over 2nd place next year and hopefully contend for a wildcard.
Quote:The timetable was set when they were hired. He's just reiterating what most us already knew.

Welcome aboard.

Well put. There is a handful of adults around here who realize this.
Quote:8-8 next year or staff is gone. DC has brought in talent, but if Gus and co don't utilize it, we need to find someone who can.
Reaching at least 8-8 next year will certainly be a worthy goal for this team... and IMO a reachable one too. Dave has been doing a pretty good job with the drafting and f/a acquisition (not perfect, but pretty good) and with the rookies having a little experience under their belts, I can see the possibility that the team could take a big step up from this season. The relevant factor of talent certainly starts to favor the Jags; and with a taste of experience under their belts, there should indeed be marked improvement that demonstrates itself in more wins in '15. Of course, much of what the team will be able to do will depend on some factors that are very difficult to control or predict....injuries, to be specific. 

All in all though, I actually feel pretty positive about the Jags next season! I wasn't expecting too much the first couple of years after such a major overhaul/rebuild... but I think 2015, being the third year of the rebuild, should reflect a whole new attitude and expectation for this team. 8-8 too much of a reach? I thought that was too much for this season, but it seems a bit more realistic next season. Whatever happens, I do not agree with 's-canning' the head coach after only 3 seasons... unless the team just flat out... sucks out loud next year, and I don't see that happening. If they don't reach 8-8 but get close... then Gus's chair 'might' be getting a little warm. If they don't reach at least 8-8 in 2016.... Gus would have to go. That's four years to prove you've got what it takes to be a winning head coach. But we should start seeing the 'proof in the pudding' next season. We'll see....

If we can't hit 8-8 next year, I think serious consideration about our staff needs to be done. This team can't go 4-12;5-11,6-10, and everyone just be like 'its great! we're improving!' By year three we need real honest improvement, maybe not playoffs, but definitely not top 10 pick bound again.

There is a real chance this team could have a worse record than last year this year (and have been better than last year), but that can't happen again. At some point the improvement has to translate into wins, or you got the wrong people at the top.

Pages: 1 2