Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Rookie mid season report card
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Bortles; B  Has made some rookie mistakes but I believe he was put into a terrible situation.  0 veteran leadership on the offensive side of the ball combined with rookies all over the field.  He has shown some things that makes people believe he will be great

Hurns: A The only real deep threat on this team

Marqis Lee:  F  He has stayed hurt while being invisible when he has played.  Bust so far

A. Robinson: A  He makes plays and catches the ball.  Everything you want to see from a rookie

Linder: A  Playing at an elite level.  Impressed

Colviin:  I Hasn't seen the field yet

Bowanko: C has been decent.

Tolvin Smith:  B  Has shown some good things

The rest of the class hasn't seen enough acition

I would give Bownako a B for a 6th round pick. You have to also put Hurns on the list with an A
Hurns  - A
You should do the 2013 class
My changes:

Bortles: C

Lee: N/A.  He's been plagued by injuries and buried in the depth chart.  To call him a bust is way premature.

Bowanko: B+ based on him being a rookie at his draft position.

Hurns: A+++, UDFA, wow!

Quote:My changes:

Lee: N/A. He's been plagued by injuries and buried in the depth chart. To call him a bust is way premature.

i agree with all of this
Not sure how the lead poster can grade Lee as an "F". Lee hasn't done much, but judging by him being listed as "limited" in practices almost every week, he's obviously not 100% and probably hasn't been for most of the season. 

I'd grade - 

Allen Robinson: B+ 

Allen Hurns: A-

Linder: A-

Bowanko: B

Telvin Smith: B-

Bortles: C+

Lee: INC

Chris Smith: N/A
Quote:Not sure how the lead poster can grade Lee as an "F". Lee hasn't done much, but judging by him being listed as "limited" in practices almost every week, he's obviously not 100% and probably hasn't been for most of the season.

I'd grade -

Allen Robinson: B+

Allen Hurns: A-

Linder: A-

Bowanko: B

Telvin Smith: B-

Bortles: C+

Lee: INC

Chris Smith: N/A
This is more accurate, I wouldn't put - next to the A on Hurns though
Bortles - C - His decision making the last couple of games has been atrocious.  No more than average, especially considering he was 3rd overall.

Lee - D - Still too small a sample size to call him a bust, but totally unimpressive so far. 

Hurns - A - and throw in a + for an UDFA.  By far, the brightest star on the team right now.

Bowanko -B - Looking like a really good choice for a 6th rounder.

Quote:My changes:

Lee: N/A.  He's been plagued by injuries and buried in the depth chart.  To call him a bust is way premature.

I like this better
Linder gets my only A+ right now
Gonna do it a little different and include last year's class too:

Joeckel: C - Has had his ups and downs and hasn't been the dominant LT we hoped when he was drafted at 2nd overall. He's getting better and is adequate so far, hopefully he continues to progress and becomes that LT we want.

Cyprien: C - Has just been average so far. No real game turning plays, he just plays his role and makes some mental errors at times. Overall he's not living up to the hype we put on him, but hopefully he continues to develop and obviously he's still a young player.

Gratz: C+ - Borderline B-. Been pretty good as a third round CB. Like Joeckel and Cyprien, he's had his ups and downs but overall has played solid in coverage and run support. Hasn't given up many big plays, especially recently.

Sanders: D - Other than the little spark he gave the offense last year, he's done absolutely nothing at what we drafted him for, special teams.

D. Robinson: A - If this were a month ago it'd probably be closer to Sanders' grade, but obviously he's come on in the last month. He's looking like a real NFL running back and the way he's producing at his size, weight, and speed is reminiscent of Jamaal Charles. If he ends up being our feature back and continues playing at this level, then this was an extraordinary value pick in the 5th.

McCray: B - Since taking over as starter he's played great and has given up very little yardage in coverage. The only criticism is that he HAS given up a couple plays and he's not generating TOs, but that's a problem as a whole for the secondary. If McCray continues to get better and holds down that starting spot, once again, this was great value.

Harris: Incomplete

Bortles: C - Moves the offense down the field and flashes brilliance at times. But, still very raw and the number of picks hurt him. If not for the TOs the grade would probably be an A, and maybe he should be given a little leeway considering he's playing in an offense with 5 other rookies and several other second year players, but I still give him a C.

Lee: F - Been invisible since week 1.

A. Robinson: B+ - Outstanding start to his pro career. He's pretty much the third most productive rookie receiver behind Kelvin Benjamin and Sammy Watkins and leads the league in drop percentage with only two dropped passes. The only reason this isn't an A is because he's still missing that one big breakout game where he goes for 100+ yards and multiple TDs. Also haven't seen him get great separation consistently and therefore lacks big yardage plays.

Linder: A+ - Maybe the biggest surprise of the draft class. Nobody saw this type of play coming from him but the Jags scouting staff it seems and they were right to trade up for him. Ranked as the 6th best guard in the league and the best overall in the AFC as a rookie, only allowing 4 pressures in 256 snaps or something, absolutely outstanding play. He's been playing at a probowl level for us as a rookie, so hopefully he can continue on with this for years to come.

Colvin: Incomplete

T. Smith: B - He's come in and fought his way out onto the field with his play despite still being undersized. Has made multiple impact plays with his speed and even though he "only" has 1 interception on his stat sheet I think at least two of his tipped passes resulted in interceptions for our defense. He's had some mental errors but that's to be expected of a rookie. Overall great start to his career and definitely a steal in the 5th round.

C. Smith: C+ - Maybe a bit low, but it's a bit difficult to judge him because of the low snapcount. He's shown a quick first step and had a sack the past week. Shown himself to be pretty capable at rushing the passer but need to see more of him, wouldn't say he's made that big of an impact obviously, but he hasn't been a disappointment either.

Bowanko: B - Just a step behind Linder. Bowanko has played great for us stepping in as a rookie and holding the fort at center. We've potentially found our center of the future in Bowanko. He's definitely been a steal in the 6th round and once again like Linder seems like only the Jags scouting team saw this coming. 

Johnson: D - Has flashed, but overall has been irrelevant. 

Hurns: B+ - Been a revelation as an undrafted rookie. Not sure if any undrafted rookie receiver has had a rookie season as good as urns is putting together. 5 TDs, nearly 500 yards and could easily have even more if not for his dropsies. He's the 4th best rookie receiver behind the aforementioned bunch when I was talking about A-Rob. If not for his stone hands at times, this would easily be an A+ grade especially considering he's undrafted. If he continue to get better and becomes a fixture for this team for years to come, this would be a legendary coup.