Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Straw poll question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is a new one for me: a "straw ballot question" that apparently is just seeking public opinion, not to change anything. I had never seen this sort of question on a ballot in either Ohio or Florida so I did not know such questions existed on ballots anywhere. Does anyone know what the purpose of asking this type of question on a ballot is? Who needs to know what I think of the U.S. Constitution and what will my answer be used for? I will vote on it, but don't understand why I should. The question is basically "Should the U.S. Constitution be amended to only give human beings, not corporations or labor unions, constitutional rights?" in a lot more words.

Quote:This is a new one for me: a "straw ballot question" that apparently is just seeking public opinion, not to change anything. I had never seen this sort of question on a ballot in either Ohio or Florida so I did not know such questions existed on ballots anywhere. Does anyone know what the purpose of asking this type of question on a ballot is? Who needs to know what I think of the U.S. Constitution and what will my answer be used for? I will vote on it, but don't understand why I should. The question is basically "Should the U.S. Constitution be amended to only give human beings, not corporations or labor unions, constitutional rights?" in a lot more words.

What?

Is this on your official ballot? In Alachua County?

I'm guessing this is proposed by someone (or group) who isn't happy with the recent Supreme Court decision allowing corporations to contribute to political campaigns/candidates.

Yes, straw ballot questions are not uncommon. Duval County had one questioning if the county should have a specific set-aside for library funding.
Quote:What?

Is this on your official ballot? In Alachua County?

I'm guessing this is proposed by someone (or group) who isn't happy with the recent Supreme Court decision allowing corporations to contribute to political campaigns/candidates.

Yes, straw ballot questions are not uncommon. Duval County had one questioning if the county should have a specific set-aside for library funding.

Yes, it is on the Alachua County ballot. That is why I asked about it.
Quote:Yes, it is on the Alachua County ballot. That is why I asked about it.

I take it you voted in favor of a constitutional amendment.
Quote:I take it you voted in favor of a constitutional amendment.

On that one, yes.