Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: So... Toby Gerhart
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I saw a lot of good things on Sunday from him in the limited plays he was in. He fought for the yards on 3rd down, cut back and did stuff that running backs do. Amazing. Could it be that he is just fighting for his job? I still think he should be our fullback.

The run where he had 3 defenders on his back and made the first down was the kind of thing I was hoping for when he signed. I'm not sure if it was the injury earlier in the season but hopefully he can build on Sunday and form a nice tandem with Dennard.

Quote:The run where he had 3 defenders on his back and made the first down was the kind of thing I was hoping for when he signed. I'm not sure if it was the injury earlier in the season but hopefully he can build on Sunday and form a nice tandem with Dennard.

I agree.   I think people have written him off too early.   He's the kind of back I would want coming off the bench late in games where we are ahead, the defense is tired, and we need to move the chains.   Imagine we're ahead 20-10, Denard has already had 20 carries, and there's 6 minutes to go in the game.   We could give him the ball 10 times in that situation. 
Quote:I saw a lot of good things on Sunday from him in the limited plays he was in. He fought for the yards on 3rd down, cut back and did stuff that running backs do. Amazing. Could it be that he is just fighting for his job? I still think he should be our fullback.

I'm going to go with 'Toby Gerhart had a foot injury for several weeks in the season, Alex for $1000' 

You know, the foot. The things we walk on. One of the RB's vital pieces to.......oh I don't know.....run? 

Sheesh people don't seem to grasp the most simplest terms of football. Go fall off a ladder, roll your ankle, and do a normal production job for 10 hours a day. Sure you might tough it out, but I guarantee you won't be 1/2 as productive as you would be prior to the injury, trust me I know. 
"Imagine we're ahead 20-10"

That's where your theory falls apart. Smile
Toby ran much better this past Sunday. I also side with the notion that his injury was probably a contributing factor to his poor play up until this point. I anticipate a better showing for the last 6 games following the bye now that he's starting to show some flashes of good  play. 

He looked good. He should stay exactly where he is right now, a change of pace back behind Denard.

TG

2014-09-07 1 JAX @ PHI L 17-34 18 42 2.33

2014-09-14 2 JAX @ WAS L 10-41 7 8 1.14

2014-09-21 3 JAX   IND L 17-44 9 32 3.56

2014-09-28 4 JAX @ SDG L 14-33 10 32 3.20 1

DR

2014-09-07 1 JAX @ PHI L 17-34 3 8 2.67 

2014-09-14 2 JAX @ WAS L 10-41 0 0   0

2014-09-21 3 JAX   IND L 17-44 8 33 4.13

2014-09-28 4 JAX @ SDG L 14-33 9 25 2.78 0

There's your stats from the first 4 games when the Oline was horrifically bad. It didn't matter at the time who was getting the ball, they were all unproductive because of the instability in front of them. Denard better? Sure, I'll buy that today, but let's not act like it clear and apparent from week 1, they were all unproductive back then.

Toby looked like the player I expected when we first signed him. Happy to see him have a little success. I also saw him pick up a blitzer.
Quote:"Imagine we're ahead 20-10"

That's where your theory falls apart. Smile

LOL I knew that when I wrote it! 
Imagine he started the season underplaying an injury.  We need everyone on this team to step up their play and improve together so the offensive coaching staff can improve the play calling and confidence in the players.  These isolation plays and small yard quick throw plans are hand cuffing the output.

Hyping up Slowby Gerhorse....
Healthy Gerhart  >  Hobbled Gerhart

Simple.  (the O-line not completely sucking helps too)

I like him as a spell-back to Denard, and as much as people like to bash such plays, he should catch a screen and a wheel route at least once in every game.  He's good at it.  I think they found a good balance with those two vs. the bungles. 

he's good on catching screens.  not so good at being an every down back

Ive been saying to give him time.

Quote:I saw a lot of good things on Sunday from him in the limited plays he was in. He fought for the yards on 3rd down, cut back and did stuff that running backs do. Amazing. Could it be that he is just fighting for his job? I still think he should be our fullback.
I like him as the change of pace back that comes in when the defense is a little worn down. Not just late in the game but later in an offensive series too. I don't think he's a feature back, still.
Toby is in the perfect role for him. 3rd down and spell RB. As long as Denard gets double his snaps its fine to use him like he was this week. 

Quote:TG

2014-09-07 1 JAX @ PHI L 17-34 18 42 2.33

2014-09-14 2 JAX @ WAS L 10-41 7 8 1.14

2014-09-21 3 JAX   IND L 17-44 9 32 3.56

2014-09-28 4 JAX @ SDG L 14-33 10 32 3.20 1

DR

2014-09-07 1 JAX @ PHI L 17-34 3 8 2.67 

2014-09-14 2 JAX @ WAS L 10-41 0 0   0

2014-09-21 3 JAX   IND L 17-44 8 33 4.13

2014-09-28 4 JAX @ SDG L 14-33 9 25 2.78 0

There's your stats from the first 4 games when the Oline was horrifically bad. It didn't matter at the time who was getting the ball, they were all unproductive because of the instability in front of them. Denard better? Sure, I'll buy that today, but let's not act like it clear and apparent from week 1, they were all unproductive back then.
Couldn't be much clearer.
Gerhart hasn't been healthy most of the year.  This past Sunday was the first time where he finally started to look like he was getting back to 100%, and he looked like a different back in there.  That's a good thing, especially with DRob starting to emerge as a solid, consistent contributor in this offense.  It's a good 1-2 punch to have in the arsenal.  I always felt people were just dying to find an excuse to declare him a mistake.  He was never sold to us as a premiere feature back.  He wasn't expected to come in here and be this explosive big play artist.  What we saw this past Sunday was precisely why he was signed.  Having him healthy gives us a guy who is capable of making plays between the tackles, or in the passing game.  It's another weapon for Blake to rely upon.

Hopefully he doesn't take snaps from DRob, I mean he has one decent run, more of an exception than the rule. 

Pages: 1 2 3 4