Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Rookie of the half season Musings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thinking about the rookies at roughly the halfway point of the season, several can make a legit argument over being the best rookie of the rookie class.

Blake Bortles-provided a lift to the offense, defense and the fan base.  Though he has struggled with turnovers, the offense has been more productive over his time playing than it was with Henne.  Very high ceiling if the team has gotten him help (it has).

Allen Robinson-on pace for 76 catches.  A dependable move-the-chains receiver.  Imagine where he would be had he not been battling hamstring issues that kept him out of minicamp and most of preseason.

Brandon Linder-yesterday it was revealed he has given up only 4 pressures (maybe one sack) in 9 games.

Telvin Smith-had a rough outing Sunday on special teams, but was AFC player of the week vs. Cleveland.

Luke Bowanko-when he got into the lineup, he seemed to have stabilized the C position post Meester.  Very good movement skills.

Allen Hurns-another very pleasant surprise.  Has 5 TDs already (leaving him one shy of the rookie receiving TD record currently held by Justin Blackmon).  Should have 7 by now (drop at Washington, bobble at SD).  Has made both QBs look their best.

My thing is it's comforting to know the guys have legit arguments because they are all playing well, as opposed to prior GMs where entire classes were complete washouts and we got nothing resembling positive impact from any of the guys.
Earliest and highest impact a rookie class has made for the Jags since the expansion draft...and maybe even then. If Bortles develops like we think/hope it will hands down be the best draft in Jags history. 

Quote:Earliest and highest impact a rookie class has made for the Jags since the expansion draft...and maybe even then. If Bortles develops like we think/hope it will hands down be the best draft in Jags history. 
This doesn't even factor in possible subsequent development not only of these guys, but Lee and Colvin too.
ARob is putting up pretty similar stats to Justin Blackmon's rookie year, 2 yards average less and projected 1 touchdown less but the fact that we got him for a late second rounder is looking good.

The best chance would probably be the 2 receivers, the 2 Allens. 

However, they are going to have to keep up with some of the other rookie WR that are really starting to come on of late such as Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans and Odell Beckham Jr. The last 2 just put up monster games. (although so did Hurns). 

Good point about Hurns.  For someone who has dropped two for sure touchdowns deep, it is nice to see him come back and battle for 2 touchdowns that he probably didn't deserve based on the quality of the throw.

A-Rob and Hurns are both on pace for outstanding rookie seasons.  

I'd have to give the prize to Hurns right now, just for the TD number, but I have long said that A. Robinson would be a valuable possession receiver that will also make big plays at times - and I feel he may take the rookie award for the Jags by season's end. 

Linder is right on their heels.  I've seen rookies forced to start elsewhere this year at guard that are no where near as competent. 

Quote:A-Rob and Hurns are both on pace for outstanding rookie seasons.

I'd have to give the prize to Hurns right now, just for the TD number, but I have long said that A. Robinson would be a valuable possession receiver that will also make big plays at times - and I feel he may take the rookie award for the Jags by season's end.

Linder is right on their heels. I've seen rookies forced to start elsewhere this year at guard that are no where near as competent.
Robinson can break a tackle and get some YAC, like he did against Cleveland. I think hurns is becoming our deep threat. We just need a guy that can be reliable over the middle. Robinson could be that guy, we shall see. I would prefer it be a tight end
Both the Allens are on pace,

But right now I'd probably say Linder,

He's stepped up massively and our franchise qb bortles would be in a lot worse position without him.

Quietly getting on with his Job
Linder for me.  Most impressive relative to the league.