Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Honest Opinion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
First things first, this is only my opinion. I don't know every single detail about football, neither am I saying I'm 100% correct on every statement I make. I'm a long time lurker on the boards and just wanted to share my opinion on the state of the Jaguars. If you agree, thank you! If you disagree, feel free to debate or open my eyes to other things. Like I said, I don't know everything possible to know about football. Would also appreciate no flaming. ^^

1. Bortles is a rookie and is playing like a rookie. His stats could be better. His decision making could be better. As a player he could just all around improve. I still believe he could become a great NFL QB in the future. All his fatal flaws are ones that can be fixed. I love seeing him throw those bullets, because at least it tells me he's trying. Bortles reminds me a lot of Farve in the fact they both like to force passes.

I suffered all throughout Gabbert's chance to be our franchise QB because I almost never saw any "wow" plays. Bortles has shown me he has the cahones to do them and that gets me excited. He's talented and deserves more time. I gave Gabbert until year 3 for me to decide he was a complete bust. I'll do the same for Bortles. I just think it's unfair to call someone the answer or a bust when they haven't even been given the chance. Especially because this team's receivers struggled to get separation much of this season. My opinion is to get him a great TE weapon for dump off plays and confidence boosts.

I also believe the offensive play calling could be better. It's my opinion, but I've seen too many INTs being thrown on the same play. Bortles rolls out to one side and the only receivers there either don't have separation or the play was designed to be thrown to double or even triple coverage.

Just give him some time to prove himself.

2. The defense is playing awesome. I can't even complain about them. Even when they play poorly I can't complain because it's almost always on the field. Seeing so many turnovers on offense is heartbreaking, but seeing the defense who is always working hard deal with it is even more so.

The D-Line has been doing great this season so no complaints. The LBs have been doing well on and off. Losing our starting MLB hasn't helped. Might not be the best in coverage, but he was never picked up to be a coverage LB so I can't even complain. I'm excited for Telvin and J.T. Both have shown a lot of promise, but still need some work. 

Cyprien has impressed me this season only for his run stopping ability. His play looks like it would improve from having a better FS in the back to cover. I don't have a solid opinion on our CBs atm because they seem on and off to me. Gratz and McCray show bursts, but also show some busted plays on important downs.

3. The O-Line might be what I'm most happy with for the future. It's young and on the upswing. Give them some time to develop together and they could possibly become a great line. In particular Linder has impressed me with his raw strength and run blocking. His pass blocking is great, but he does get pushed back occasionally. It's not enough to cause worry since he still holds his blocks, but just an observation. 

Joeckel has shown improvement on run blocking, but pass blocking needs to get better. Worth the pick? Maybe not so far. Should we drop him? Absolutely not. We have too many areas to improve at the moment to get rid of him. I'd rather us improve elsewhere first than drop a starter and add to the list of "positions to improve".

4. DRob looks like a rising star. I have no complaints here. This guy plays hard every play and he does it well.

5. Our best receiver, to me, is Hurns. I only believe this because he seems to be the best at getting separation and that is exactly what Bortles needs right now. I thought he would do well after he came out of nowhere early in the season. Then his stone hands problem showed itself and I was worried (still thought he'd have the most potential though.) I'm glad to see him showing his talent in games and he clearly worked on his hands or got used to the pressure.

ARob is an awesome 2nd WR for the future if he can develop into having a skill set that provides more separation. I wanna see more of him being put under the coverages.

Shorts is always an awesome receiver, but I think he'd shine brighter with other respectable receivers around him.

6. I hate losing, but this is a process. The entire Gene Smith period I gave time to judge it, but never felt happy with it. This rebuild feels much better than the last one at the very least. We're getting playmakers. 

I'm happy with Gus Bradley. My only complaint is he's a more defensive minded coach and it shows. The offensive play calling hasn't been the best. If a defense is struggling he can help out the D Coordinator a lot, but much less for offense. Not really a complaint I guess. More of a shot at Fisch, who I still won't judge because of all the rookies on the offensive side of the ball.

7. I'm just gonna pretend we have no Special teams because the kick/punt blocking has disappointed me.

Thanks to anyone who read this. ^^

I might check this out later when I have 4 hours to burn

What I read, I think you're spot on. I will say though that Gabbert could make plays once in awhile that would make you say "wow". That was the positive of that guy. Unfortunately he'd fold up when the going got tough. Fool's gold I guess.
I agreed with a lot of your post however, the defense just gave up 33 points and none of that was due to any pick 6's (like vs Miami) so I think you are overstating by claiming the defense is playing "awesome". Its surely played much improved overall in the last 5 games, but 33 points in a game is not a good amount to be giving up at this stage. Especially to an Andy Dalton QB'ed football team and one who was starting their 2nd string RB. 

Quote:I agreed with a lot of your post however, the defense just gave up 33 points and none of that was due to any pick 6's (like vs Miami) so I think you are overstating by claiming the defense is playing "awesome". Its surely played much improved overall in the last 5 games, but 33 points in a game is not a good amount to be giving up at this stage. Especially to an Andy Dalton QB'ed football team and one who was starting their 2nd string RB. 

Well, I was basing it off the entire season. I think they've been playing very well for the situations they've been put in. Maybe awesome wasn't the best word. I'm content with them. As in, I'm not blaming losses on them. Though you're right. The Bengals game wasn't their best showing.
Nice write up, I agree with most everything. I just cant wait to see how well our D will play once the O is helping them out and putting points up. To me even with the lack of rest the D has done a fine job. I know we are missing some parts that might come later or might have hidden on our roster now but I do love how things are going. Even if some folks want to start over already, Im in for whatever happens. I just hope we dont start over again as I personally believe we are still looking up.

Chrome, welcome to the board and thanks for your post. You won't get any intentional flaming from me but sometimes I don't realize I am being too negative about a person. I can tell you will be a very good poster here if you keep coming back.

1. Playcalling is not the cause of many interceptions. Audibling out of a run caused the pick six against the Steelers. Others were obviously the receiver's fault or just good plays by the defense. I think Blake's mistake yesterday was not looking for Allen Robinson, who was single-covered to the right with room to run.

2. Awesome is the right word for our defensive line, but but not the guys who are supposed to be intercepting passes. I hate the soft zone scheme because it leaves receivers wide open. Man to man - which I abbreviate as MTM here - is my preference for any team, not just ours. But a new free safety and continuity next year would definitely help the back end.

5. Allen Hurns is also my favorite, but for a different reason: his ability to come back to the ball and catch errant passes. His concentration while juggling it to catch a ball at SD was impressive.

Quote:Chrome, welcome to the board and thanks for your post. You won't get any intentional flaming from me but sometimes I don't realize I am being too negative about a person. I can tell you will be a very good poster here if you keep coming back.

1. Playcalling is not the cause of many interceptions. Audibling out of a run caused the pick six against the Steelers. Others were obviously the receiver's fault or just good plays by the defense. I think Blake's mistake yesterday was not looking for Allen Robinson, who was single-covered to the right with room to run.

2. Awesome is the right word for our defensive line, but but not the guys who are supposed to be intercepting passes. I hate the soft zone scheme because it leaves receivers wide open. Man to man - which I abbreviate as MTM here - is my preference for any team, not just ours. But a new free safety and continuity next year would definitely help the back end.

5. Allen Hurns is also my favorite, but for a different reason: his ability to come back to the ball and catch errant passes. His concentration while juggling it to catch a ball at SD was impressive.
Allen Hurns also has the dropsies from time to time. He's not better than Robinson.
Quote:I might check this out later when I have 4 hours to burn

I LOL'd
Quote:Allen Hurns also has the dropsies from time to time. He's not better than Robinson.

All wide receivers have dropsies. But what I see in him is a guy who tries harder to not drop them.
Quote:All wide receivers have dropsies. But what I see in him is a guy who tries harder to not drop them.

Not.... Not all. I believe Allen Robinson has zero drops on the season. At least I know he had that going into the bengals game.
Quote:Not.... Not all. I believe Allen Robinson has zero drops on the season. At least I know he had that going into the Bengals game.

It seemed like all of our receivers dropped passes against the Steelers.
Quote:Allen Hurns also has the dropsies from time to time. He's not better than Robinson.
Catches with his body and not his hands. Until that changes he'll be inconsistent.
Where the heck has Lee disappeared too?

The OP is a great example of why there is no minimum post count before a member can start a thread.

Quote:Where the heck has Lee disappeared too?
He was only on the field for 6 snaps. 

They are going with the Robinson/Shorts/Hurns and protection doesn't allow for many 4 receiver sets.  Harbor is the fourth option when they send four out usually.  

He has to earn some trust still, apparently.  
Quote:First things first, this is only my opinion. I don't know every single detail about football, neither am I saying I'm 100% correct on every statement I make. I'm a long time lurker on the boards and just wanted to share my opinion on the state of the Jaguars. If you agree, thank you! If you disagree, feel free to debate or open my eyes to other things. Like I said, I don't know everything possible to know about football. Would also appreciate no flaming. ^^

1. Bortles is a rookie and is playing like a rookie. His stats could be better. His decision making could be better. As a player he could just all around improve. I still believe he could become a great NFL QB in the future. All his fatal flaws are ones that can be fixed. I love seeing him throw those bullets, because at least it tells me he's trying. Bortles reminds me a lot of Farve in the fact they both like to force passes.

I suffered all throughout Gabbert's chance to be our franchise QB because I almost never saw any "wow" plays. Bortles has shown me he has the cahones to do them and that gets me excited. He's talented and deserves more time. I gave Gabbert until year 3 for me to decide he was a complete bust. I'll do the same for Bortles. I just think it's unfair to call someone the answer or a bust when they haven't even been given the chance. Especially because this team's receivers struggled to get separation much of this season. My opinion is to get him a great TE weapon for dump off plays and confidence boosts.

I also believe the offensive play calling could be better. It's my opinion, but I've seen too many INTs being thrown on the same play. Bortles rolls out to one side and the only receivers there either don't have separation or the play was designed to be thrown to double or even triple coverage.

Just give him some time to prove himself.

2. The defense is playing awesome. I can't even complain about them. Even when they play poorly I can't complain because it's almost always on the field. Seeing so many turnovers on offense is heartbreaking, but seeing the defense who is always working hard deal with it is even more so.

The D-Line has been doing great this season so no complaints. The LBs have been doing well on and off. Losing our starting MLB hasn't helped. Might not be the best in coverage, but he was never picked up to be a coverage LB so I can't even complain. I'm excited for Telvin and J.T. Both have shown a lot of promise, but still need some work. 

Cyprien has impressed me this season only for his run stopping ability. His play looks like it would improve from having a better FS in the back to cover. I don't have a solid opinion on our CBs atm because they seem on and off to me. Gratz and McCray show bursts, but also show some busted plays on important downs.

3. The O-Line might be what I'm most happy with for the future. It's young and on the upswing. Give them some time to develop together and they could possibly become a great line. In particular Linder has impressed me with his raw strength and run blocking. His pass blocking is great, but he does get pushed back occasionally. It's not enough to cause worry since he still holds his blocks, but just an observation. 

Joeckel has shown improvement on run blocking, but pass blocking needs to get better. Worth the pick? Maybe not so far. Should we drop him? Absolutely not. We have too many areas to improve at the moment to get rid of him. I'd rather us improve elsewhere first than drop a starter and add to the list of "positions to improve".

4. DRob looks like a rising star. I have no complaints here. This guy plays hard every play and he does it well.

5. Our best receiver, to me, is Hurns. I only believe this because he seems to be the best at getting separation and that is exactly what Bortles needs right now. I thought he would do well after he came out of nowhere early in the season. Then his stone hands problem showed itself and I was worried (still thought he'd have the most potential though.) I'm glad to see him showing his talent in games and he clearly worked on his hands or got used to the pressure.

ARob is an awesome 2nd WR for the future if he can develop into having a skill set that provides more separation. I wanna see more of him being put under the coverages.

Shorts is always an awesome receiver, but I think he'd shine brighter with other respectable receivers around him.

6. I hate losing, but this is a process. The entire Gene Smith period I gave time to judge it, but never felt happy with it. This rebuild feels much better than the last one at the very least. We're getting playmakers. 

I'm happy with Gus Bradley. My only complaint is he's a more defensive minded coach and it shows. The offensive play calling hasn't been the best. If a defense is struggling he can help out the D Coordinator a lot, but much less for offense. Not really a complaint I guess. More of a shot at Fisch, who I still won't judge because of all the rookies on the offensive side of the ball.

7. I'm just gonna pretend we have no Special teams because the kick/punt blocking has disappointed me.

Thanks to anyone who read this. ^^
ditto
Quote:Not.... Not all. I believe Allen Robinson has zero drops on the season. At least I know he had that going into the bengals game.
1 drop. And 43 receptions. 

Very impressive.  
I still have a major problem with our receiver group and the only thing that keeps me sane is that they are rookies.

Shorts - Never fights for the ball and is made of glass. Runs decent routes

Robinson - Struggles to get open but makes contested catches

Hurns - Body catches everything. Best route runner

Lee - ..................................................................................................

M. Brown - Gets open but even drops his own oxygen

A. Sanders - Not even a blip.

We need lee back. He's a burner.

Quote:The OP is a great example of why there is no minimum post count before a member can start a thread.

Unfortunately most new members now are registering just to complain and act like trolls or TMD. Chrome is a million times better than other newbies.
Pages: 1 2 3