Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 25 games in, how do you feel about Caldwell
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Started from nothing, Caldwell looks like he's drafted a lot of core players: McCray, Gratz, Telvin Smith, Linder, Bowanko, AR15, D-Rob, Cyprien, and Joeckel has been playing a lot better. Hurns is an undrafted bonus, Bortles looks promising and gets a pass this year, and he sniffed out guys like Abry Jones, Pasztor, and JT Thomas. While we can certainly be critical of Watson signing and Gerhart, he deserves praise for Miller, Bryant, Clemons, Ball, and Blackmon. We may be picking in the top 5 again, but there's definitely reason to be excited. How do you guys feel?
Quote:Started from nothing, Caldwell looks like he's drafted a lot of core players: McCray, Gratz, Telvin Smith, Linder, Bowanko, AR15, D-Rob, Cyprien, and Joeckel has been playing a lot better. Hurns is an undrafted bonus, Bortles looks promising and gets a pass this year, and he sniffed out guys like Abry Jones, Pasztor,    Paz was a Gene acquisition.  and JT Thomas. While we can certainly be critical of Watson signing and Gerhart, he deserves praise for Miller, Bryant, Clemons, Ball, and Blackmon. and MARKS. 

We may be picking in the top 5 again, but there's definitely reason to be excited. How do you guys feel?

I feel great about Caldwell. He's still got work to do, but he's got the needle pointing north IMO. 
Legit except for Marqise Lee.
Leaps and bounds better than the last guy that's for sure. Definitely have more speed as a team overall. The young talent just needs experience and their getting it. I know it sounds crazy but you almost hope this team is like the young Dallas of the 90's who went from 1-15 to 3 time Superbowl Champions. One could dream but I would love nothing more than this team being a powerhouse and stuck right up the nose of the national media who have hated us for so long.
How can I forget Marks!
Caldwell's late round picks and low key signings seem to be panning out. Still hoping for a big time playmaker on O though would love it to be a wideout.

Still lack some in the secondary too but I trust these will be addressed
Ask Again after 48 games.  Hard to say right now. 

Quote:Started from nothing, Caldwell looks like he's drafted a lot of core players: McCray, Gratz, Telvin Smith, Linder, Bowanko, AR15, D-Rob, Cyprien, and Joeckel has been playing a lot better. Hurns is an undrafted bonus, Bortles looks promising and gets a pass this year, and he sniffed out guys like Abry Jones, Pasztor, and JT Thomas. While we can certainly be critical of Watson signing and Gerhart, he deserves praise for Miller, Bryant, Clemons, Ball, and Blackmon. We may be picking in the top 5 again, but there's definitely reason to be excited. How do you guys feel?
Why does Bortles get a pass?
Quote:Why does Bortles get a pass?

Because he was drafted with the idea that the entire coaching staff wanted to sit for a year, he's a rookie, he's working with 3 rookie receivers, 2 rookie linemen, and he has 6 career starts. You knew this already, so I'm guessing you're trying to lead me somewhere with this, but I'm pretty solid on giving him a pass. If anyone deserves a pass, it's him, just for 7 more games. He's flashed, too. He's moved the offense and orchestrated beautiful drives and ugly ones. If he's this bad 8 games from now in Week 1, 2015, prematurely call him a bust then
Double post
Quote:Why does Bortles get a pass?

Why wouldn't he?  He's a rookie playing with a bunch of rookies.  It's practically the hypothetical "WHO WOULD WIN: THE BEST COLLEGE TEAM VERSUS THE WORST NFL TEAM" on Offense.  

You've got:

QB is a rookie

WR's are rookies, except Shorts who has fewer than 32 starts in the NFL

O-Line has two rookies, a guy who's practically a rookie, an undrafted player who hasn't started more than 20 games, and one vet.

TE is a vet who has yet to have 32 starts under his belt.

We've basically got a college offense out there right now.  
Doesnt matter how much of the struggle may or may not be caldwell's fault. He's gonna be here at least 1-2 more years.

He may have to let gus go before that. We'll see.

Gm's would be smart to cut bait if the results dont come. Id rather take my shot with a second coach during my tenure than sticking with a 5-20 one through it all.
It does matter, he's responsible for the foundation of our roster
I think he's done a great job bringing in young talent. He has a high batting average so far. It's up to the coaching staff to develop the talent.
I'd give Caldwell and the college scouting dept a solid B+ or even A- to this point as a letter grade for their job these first 25 games. 

I think that at this point dave gets a solid incomplete.  By that I mean that when you look at the draft you have joeckel, cyprien, gratz, robinson and McCray that have contributed and are on their way to carving out roles over the long term and at worst I think that Josh Evans will be a great third safety special teams guy from the first draft with a potential probowl three technique in sendarick Marks through FA.  Now we have allen robinson Brandon LinderTelvin Smith luke bowanko and allen hurns that look promising from this draft/udfa.  That's a pretty good collection of talent over the first two years.  The elephant in the room is Blake Bortles.  GMS and Coaches go as the QB goes and right now that's not decided. 

At this stage? I have no problem with Caldwell. This team has more talent than a 1-8 team.
Caldwell is not the problem... Its Bradley and this coaching staff outside of Sullivan

Quote:Legit except for Marqise Lee.

Everybody has misses.  But it's waaaayyy too early to call Lee a miss.  WR's need two to three years to figure out the game normally.  We got EXTREMELY lucky with AR15 and Hurns.
My concern isn't the players, it is who is coaching them.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5