Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: How hard is it to make a new messageboard?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
First off, I find the idea of shutting down this messageboard extremely shortsighted. It is very easy to have messageboards fully integrate with social media. It would have been far better had the organization had an admin or mod just post social media feeds directly to this board. Users could easily click the links, which would still generate revenue without alienating fans who love this board. This move shows terrible disregard for those users that have posted here for the last several years. I understand their are financial benefits to operating from social media, but there are also intangible benefits from allowing a community to engage in thoughtful (and sometimes brainless) dialogue that isn't limited to 140 characters. A messageboard, in a sense, is free marketing that builds loyal customers. People can share their passion and "expertise," for lack of a better word, and spread that excitement and knowledge to others. I am very disappointed in the Jaguars organization for authorizing this move and will not be participating on social media.

That said, it would not be terribly difficult to make a new messageboard from scratch. It's even possible to migrate a lot of what is on this board to another forum... messages, users, postcounts, etc, assuming the administrators could give us access to that info. Is there a way of finding out if we can access the information here? There is a cost to hosting and a cost for a web site name, but I don't think it would be that much. We could find out what the cost would be, set up a donation page, and get all the information migrated to a new board. It would take some work, but we wouldn't lose this community.

It really sucks, but I've found the Reddit community to be fantastic. 

You should join us there! 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Jaguars/comment...ars_forum/  

Agreed! I've been on the Jaguars reddit for some time. Come join us there!

I'm working on one if anyone's interested.  

I would be interested.  Trying out Reddit for now. 

Making a new message board is simple. Migrating an existing one is the challenge.

Quote:First off, I find the idea of shutting down this messageboard extremely shortsighted. It is very easy to have messageboards fully integrate with social media. It would have been far better had the organization had an admin or mod just post social media feeds directly to this board. Users could easily click the links, which would still generate revenue without alienating fans who love this board. This move shows terrible disregard for those users that have posted here for the last several years. I understand their are financial benefits to operating from social media, but there are also intangible benefits from allowing a community to engage in thoughtful (and sometimes brainless) dialogue that isn't limited to 140 characters. A messageboard, in a sense, is free marketing that builds loyal customers. People can share their passion and "expertise," for lack of a better word, and spread that excitement and knowledge to others. I am very disappointed in the Jaguars organization for authorizing this move and will not be participating on social media.

That said, it would not be terribly difficult to make a new messageboard from scratch. It's even possible to migrate a lot of what is on this board to another forum... messages, users, postcounts, etc, assuming the administrators could give us access to that info. Is there a way of finding out if we can access the information here? There is a cost to hosting and a cost for a web site name, but I don't think it would be that much. We could find out what the cost would be, set up a donation page, and get all the information migrated to a new board. It would take some work, but we wouldn't lose this community.
We're working on that.

Quote:I'm working on one if anyone's interested.  
Hold up for a bit because we're working on something as well that will hopefully allow us to make a transition away from the Jags hosting the board while retaining a good portion of what exists here. 
Quote:We're working on that.

Hold up for a bit because we're working on something as well that will hopefully allow us to make a transition away from the Jags hosting the board while retaining a good portion of what exists here.

Please keep us updated.
Quote:Please keep us updated.
Some sort of an announcement will be posted as soon as the particulars are ironed out.
My suggestion would be to have the current moderators get together to select a domain name, hosting provider, and software (I believe this site is vBulletin) and start setting it up.  There are a lot of re-sellers: you get part of a web server for the board with the software already set-up.  If you add a donation thread you will definitely be able to get enough money to pay for it as well as any upgrades needed.  Now you will want to identify one or several IT types to maintain the board and make tweaks as necessary.

If you get that done just post the name in the current reddit thread, and I'm sure the regular users will flock to it.

Oh and don't forget the AFC South category, it's my favorite. Smile  I also think if you contact one of the administrators from texanstalk.com, a similar site, they might help you (despite completely hating you) with any tips or tricks.

Quote:Some sort of an announcement will be posted as soon as the particulars are ironed out.

LET'S SECEDE!!!!
Quote:LET'S SECEDE!!!!

The Jungle will rise again
Quote:LET'S SECEDE!!!!

My Battle Flag is raised!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:My Battle Flag is raised!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it's still up after four hours, seek medical help. Wink
Quote:If it's still up after four hours, seek medical help. Wink

Or professional Big Grin
Quote:Or professional Big Grin

I don't think that helps...it just prolongs the problem!
Here's a link to the one I created (keep in mind, it's barely worked on and it's free lol). But until FBT and others find out for sure if we can migrate, this can be an alternate option/temp hold if needed. Since they gave us a short window before closure, good to have other options:

http://thejungletwo.freeforums.net/
Quote:I don't think that helps...it just prolongs the problem!

Dehydration definitely leads to shut down
Pages: 1 2 3 4