Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: So lets take a real look at the game (not knee-jerk)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Blake - Horrible first half.  I think that goes without saying.  He turned it around in the second half.  There were throws that he shouldn't have made, but they didn't turn in to interceptions so whatever on those.  Say what you want about the TD throws, they weren't pretty but the result was the same.  Hurns made some great moves coming back to and fighting for balls.  You can tell that Blake has a lot to work on.  I'm OK with that.  The first TD throw he threw it 40 yards in the air on a rollout without his feet set.  That's pretty damn hard.  Second one was a ball he put up for Hurns to get and he did.  I'm not going to bash him on those.

Denard - Mannnn I got worried when he went out in the first quarter.  He's been the brightest spot on our offense the past few weeks and he keeps getting better.  If he hadn't slipped on that one 16 yard run who knows how long it would have gone.  He good and I hope he gets better.

Hurns - Holy crap man.  What a game for this guy.  Marquise who??? 

Defense - Dline did a good job most of the game of containing the run until Hill busted one.  Cyp took a bad angle and couldn't recover.  The secondary getting more banged up isn't going to help much and George went out pretty early.  He was playing well when he was in there too.  JT Thomas had another interception which set up Denard's TD run, nice heads up play.  They certainly didn't play as well as they did the past 4 weeks, but the injuries are starting to pile up.

Special teams - Holy crap.  Two blocked punts.  Honestly I'm not going to worry about Scobee kicking OOB.  Yes that sucked, but it's going to happen every once in a while when you're being told to kick to the corner.  The blocking on all fronts in the kicking game sucks, and Anger is taking too long to get the ball off.  Even the 25 yard FG Sobee hit early in the game was inches from being blocked.  They need to get this figured out.  If you don't have a kicking game then you can't be reliable in the field position game.

Overall - this was a game we were "supposed" to lose.  At one point we had it within 3 points until Hill broke a lucky run.  I'm OK with it.  Gus seemed to learn from past games and didn't throw out stupid challenge flags.  Blake showed better game management without having to burn through timeouts.  Honestly IMO this is a team that needs to have all three phases work well to get a win, and that doesn't surprise me with how young these guys are.  I don't care if you think it's an excuse, because it's a valid point of emphasis.  I'm glad they were able to make a game of it in the second half and I'm glad to see some of the rookies develop further.  I do think they were holding Blake back in the first half though.  It looked like they were trying to call plays to minimize his mistakes.  That's what you do with rookie QB's.

Jeremy Hill impressed the heck out of me. Might be the best back we have faced all season. Giovani Bernard might have lost some touches in the long run, which hurts my fantasy team. We kept Hill in check for most of the game. Too many missed assignments and missed tackles allowed him to break off some runs. Hill does have some good power and speed.

Denard and Toby both did well. I think we found roles for those two. Todman also had a good game, although on special teams. His returns were about the only positive coming from special teams.

Allen Hurns made some impressive catches, and fought for a first down. Hopefully he keeps it up

We really need a TE or WR that can go across/attack the middle.
Agreed with all of the above, especially the OP. This kind of thread isn't going to go over well at all with the bedwetters, whiners, and mental midgets though.

Getting better but still not good. Okay.
From the beginning of the season all we wanted is a winning team well from the majority standpoint.

Then we get blown out and now bortles is starting way ahead of schedule.

What we need is the team to show us we can be competitive which you can say we have been.

The past 4 weeks we had a better drive finishes and less mistakes we win the last 4 instead we win.

In reality winning the next 7 doesn't do anything, do i like losing no but we are getting better every week. And soon enough we will start to make the plays to win.

Look at teams that win and there offences. They have veterans there to move chains and make plays. Who do we have? In our whole offence we have 2 vets csIII and lewis and lewis has been hurt the past 6 weeks and csIII just recently came back.

We have been improving with a offence of rookies basically, no sport anywhere do you succeed with this type of gameplan.

We are almost at expansion level of players in form of experience on both sides of the ball.

We shouldn't be sour we are losing we should be excited about being competitive and the fact that the future is bright for our young team.

Very soon bortles and the other rookies will start clicking and we will start to see TDs as opposed to ints and fgs. We move the chains quite well for the most part but lack the finish.
Agree with op except that kicking it out of bounds should never be ok at the professional level. That was a killer and ruined our mo when we had the game in our grasp.
Quote:We really need a TE or WR that can go across/attack the middle.

The Sad thing is we've got one, he's just banned.
Quote:Agree with op except that kicking it out of bounds should never be ok at the professional level. That was a killer and ruined our mo when we had the game in our grasp.

I agree that it's a mistake that contributed to them having the field position they did on the run that Hill broke.  I'm simply saying that I'm not going to knee jerk and say that Scobee should be gone next season.

Quote:The Sad thing is we've got one, he's just banned.

Don't turn this into a Blackmon thread.  We've got one of those already.  And in case you haven't noticed, we've got two rookie WR's who are playing pretty well right now.  Better than even Blackmon did at this time his rookie year.  Sure they were forced into it, but they've responded.  You want your gamebreaker WR, take a look at what Hurns did yesterday.

[quote name="Raven09s" post="353728" timestamp="1415023174"]

I agree that it's a mistake that contributed to them having the field position they did on the run that Hill broke. I'm simply saying that I'm not going to knee jerk and say that Scobee should be gone next season.

Don't turn this into a Blackmon thread. We've got one of those already. And in case you haven't noticed, we've got two rookie WR's who are playing pretty well right now. Better than even Blackmon did at this time his rookie year. Sure they were forced into it, but they've responded. You want your gamebreaker WR, take a look at what Hurns did yesterday.[/quote

I agree we have got good receivers, however we don't have anyone who can dominate over the middle which is what I responded to.
I just hate hearing "Overall - this was a game we were "supposed" to lose"......

At some point, this team is going to have to learn how to win. Upsets happen all the time. You aren't 

supposed" to lose anything.

Quote:[quote name="Raven09s" post="353728" timestamp="1415023174"]

I agree that it's a mistake that contributed to them having the field position they did on the run that Hill broke. I'm simply saying that I'm not going to knee jerk and say that Scobee should be gone next season.

Don't turn this into a Blackmon thread. We've got one of those already. And in case you haven't noticed, we've got two rookie WR's who are playing pretty well right now. Better than even Blackmon did at this time his rookie year. Sure they were forced into it, but they've responded. You want your gamebreaker WR, take a look at what Hurns did yesterday.[/quote

I agree we have got good receivers, however we don't have anyone who can dominate over the middle which is what I responded to.

Harbour played yesterday hurt and doesn't come back until after the London game.  Blackmon has been gone for a while now.  People need to get over it.

I seriously think people are going to be upset no matter how well we end up doing.  If every single player we have isn't "dominating" at his position then the staff as a whole has failed in their minds.  smh
Quote:I just hate hearing "Overall - this was a game we were "supposed" to lose"......

At some point, this team is going to have to learn how to win. Upsets happen all the time. You aren't 

supposed" to lose anything.

Like I said, there are people who won't accept the "excuses".  You're apparently one of them.  I can see the big picture.
Quote:Harbour played yesterday hurt and doesn't come back until after the London game. Blackmon has been gone for a while now. People need to get over it.

I seriously think people are going to be upset no matter how well we end up doing. If every single player we have isn't "dominating" at his position then the staff as a whole has failed in their minds. smh

They're just not truly over the middle players that's all I'm saying, I'm actually happy with how we're playing there's definite improvement and we definitely look better than last year.
Quote:Blake - Horrible first half.  I think that goes without saying.  He turned it around in the second half.  There were throws that he shouldn't have made, but they didn't turn in to interceptions so whatever on those.  Say what you want about the TD throws, they weren't pretty but the result was the same.  Hurns made some great moves coming back to and fighting for balls.  You can tell that Blake has a lot to work on.  I'm OK with that.  The first TD throw he threw it 40 yards in the air on a rollout without his feet set.  That's pretty damn hard.  Second one was a ball he put up for Hurns to get and he did.  I'm not going to bash him on those.

The first TD to Hurns was the correct play. You get a 1 on 1 matchup deep and you should always attack it. Was the pass underthrown? Yep. But in the NFL you see that pass almost every week where an intentionally underthrown deep pass is adjusted by the WR (who has the advantage in that situation) and makes the play for either a long completion, or the defender will flail in trying to make up for the lost leverage and commit a pass interference. 

The second TD pass to Hurns was perfect. Between 2 defenders. It was aggressive as there was double coverage, but was placed perfectly. 

The deep INT to the end zone? Thats one that I felt was a bad one considering the situation of momentum and stuff. It killed it. The pass wasn't into single coverage and you really didn't even know what he was throwing to. Almost like a heave N pray. 
Quote:Like I said, there are people who won't accept the "excuses".  You're apparently one of them.  I can see the big picture.

There is no guarantee this team will ever actually be good. The big picture thing is just a cliche to keep people interested. 
Quote:The first TD to Hurns was the correct play. You get a 1 on 1 matchup deep and you should always attack it. Was the pass underthrown? Yep. But in the NFL you see that pass almost every week where an intentionally underthrown deep pass is adjusted by the WR (who has the advantage in that situation) and makes the play for either a long completion, or the defender will flail in trying to make up for the lost leverage and commit a pass interference. 

The second TD pass to Hurns was perfect. Between 2 defenders. It was aggressive as there was double coverage, but was placed perfectly. 

The deep INT to the end zone? Thats one that I felt was a bad one considering the situation of momentum and stuff. It killed it. The pass wasn't into single coverage and you really didn't even know what he was throwing to. Almost like a heave N pray. 

Yea the INT was not good.  Looks to me that one of the things he needs to work on the most is to throw the ball away when there's nothing there instead of trying to force something.
Quote:There is no guarantee this team will ever actually be good. The big picture thing is just a cliche to keep people interested. 

No, there's not.  But there are signs pointing in the direction of them being good.  You can ignore those signs if you like, but I'm not going to.
Quote:Defense - Dline did a good job most of the game of containing the run until Hill busted one.  Cyp took a bad angle and couldn't recover.  The secondary getting more banged up isn't going to help much and George went out pretty early.  He was playing well when he was in there too.  JT Thomas had another interception which set up Denard's TD run, nice heads up play.  They certainly didn't play as well as they did the past 4 weeks, but the injuries are starting to pile up.

The D-line doesn't get consistent pressure IMO. When they do, they look like one of the best in the league. Sometimes it seems like Dalton had all day to throw the ball while other times they were right in his face. Not sure if this is play calling, lack of effort, etc...
Some people just like to complain and you can guarantee that.
Quote:Some people just like to complain and you can guarantee that.

You guys can sit here and glorify a 1-8 team and a HC who has won 20% of his games, and pretend there are signs pointing in the right direction, but I won't. Call me a complainer if you will. Don't care.
Pages: 1 2