Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Impressions From The Bengals Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ordinarily, I avoid criticism of coaches, but today I have to vent.

1.  I know Bortles' struggles with turnovers is forcing the team to adjust to minimize the risks.  But Fisch overcompensated and handcuffed Bortles unnecessarily in the first half.  The over reliance on screens and other short dumpoffs in the first half became a caricature of offense.  Fortunately, he let him play in the second half.  I don't think Bortles or the team benefits short or long term by restricting the offense so dramatically.

2.  I'm beginning to think the special teams coach needs to be replaced.  Three blocked FGs in the same half season.  Back to back punts blocked in the same game is unacceptable on any level of football at high school or higher.  Also allowed a 31 yard punt return.  Scobee's out of bounds kick was a disaster.   It's hard enough for this team to win without special teams breakdowns like this.

3.  I found it quite interesting to learn Bradley took over the defense from Babich.  It appears the concerns of those over the Babich hiring (TMD and MalabarJag, IIRC, among others) were valid.  If Bradley replaces Babich at the end of the season, my hope is for Dave Wannstedt.

4.  Nice to see Toby Gerhart finally making plays.  His runs and catch on that scoring drive in the first half were huge.  Also had a nice screen catch and run and a first down conversion in the 4th quarter.  However, Denard Robinson gives this team another dimension.  His 38 yard run was a thing of beauty.  How in the world did he trip on that run in the 3rd quarter?!?  But for that trip, the Jaguars likely score and he has a monster game. Had a nice TD after the Thomas INT.  But overall, it is good to see the Jaguars running game finally show signs of life, effectiveness, and consistency.

5.  While the defense is playing well, it continues to not make the drive stopping/game turning play that can make the difference between wins and losses.  It sure would have been nice if we'd stop that RB and that 3rd down catch on the left flat to continue the drive, and I know fumbles are tricky, but Abry Jones HAS to hold onto that AJ Green fumble.  That was at least a 3 point play.  After the TD, they had a run right defensed well when the Bengals were backed up, but allowed the RB to reverse field to get a first down to the 20.  J.T. Thomas did make a momentum changing INT that gave the Jaguars the ball in point blank scoring range, but Cyprien appeared not to fill the gap on that 60 yard TD run that gave the momentum right back to Cincy.

6.  Nice to see Shorts is okay after that hit.  People get on him for being fragile, but he showed toughness on that play holding onto that pass and then coming back into the game.

7.  Rookie Watch

A.  Blake Bortles-as I mentioned earlier, Bortles was handcuffed for much of the game by Fisch.  It seemed as though Bortles was not allowed to throw anything beyond 10 yards in the first half Many were screens to Shorts, Gerhart and D. Robinson.   Looked much better in the second half when Fisch opened things up with the pass to Shorts and the first TD to Hurns.   His second TD was dangerous, as he threw into double coverage.  His late INT was him trying to do too much.  He should have thrown it away.

B.  Marqise Lee-Did not see him in the game at all in the first half.  Saw him after Shorts got hurt.  Had no catches.

C.  Allen Robinson-had a few short catches in the second half, but not much impact overall.

D.  Brandon Linder-was having a good game and the Jaguars were moving the ball on the ground until he got injured.  The running game bogged down fr a while after he left the game.

E.  Aaron Colvin-DNP.

F.  Telvin Smith-  Smith missed a key tackle referenced above on a 3rd down that allowed the RB to get a first down.  Also got a stupid end of half penalty that was assessed on the Jaguars to start the second half.  He did have a good stop on a sweep in the first series of the second half.

G.  Chris Smith-Got his first sack early in the game. He was also instrumental on the INT by J.T. Thomas in the 4th quarter.  He got into the LT's pads and drove him back into Dalton.  Dalton's pass hit his LT in the back, creating the tip drill situation.

H.  Luke Bowanko-seemed to play well along with Linder.

I.  Storm Johnson-DNP

J.  Allen Hurns-Had a couple of short catches in the first half, and did a great job adjusting to the underthrown passes for the TDs.  By reaching the ball out on that 3rd down, he got a first down, and then outmuscled Leon Hall on the 28 yard pass later that same drive.Those were clearly cases of receivers making the QB look better.  Nice to see him after a disappearance.

8.  Gratz played well, and held up respectably against A.J. Green.  He showed good coverage on a deep pass down the sideline.

9.  What in the world was Pasztor thinking on that clip?!?  That was a dumb, dumb penalty that negated a 14 yard run and put us in far worse field position.  Robinson was already past his guy.  The guy had his back clearly to Pasztor.  He will develop a rep for being a dirty player, if he doesn't already have one.  If I am not mistaken, he had another similar penalty earlier.

10.  I am not his biggest fan, but Todman had a good game on returns.  He also had a great hit  on the kickoff return after the TD.

11.  Though he obviously did not make the tackle on the 60 yard TD run, Red Bryant showed tremendous hustle trying to chase the RB down some 40 yards downfield.

12.  Bottom line:  There was a lot to like in this game.  For the most part, the defense payed respectably.  In the second half, the offense showed a lot of life, and Bortles had the look of being able to rally the team.  The offense ran the ball well, and this was the second game where the team scored more than 20 points.  If the coaches do their jobs effectively, there will be a time in the future where the team will avoid mistakes and win games like this one.  However, I am unconvinced coaching did not cause problems in this game.  I think Fisch's playcalling was too conservative in the first half, and no I am not mistaking conservative football for ineffective football.  The running game was working.  Given the two blocked punts, the long punt return allowed and the kick out of bounds, special teams is clearly a problem, and some of this has to fall on the coaches.  This has been Scobee's worst year by a wide margin, and maybe someone needs to be brought in to push him.

zzz

Impressions From The Bengals Game:

1. Mr Coach Kline needs to be fired

fin

Nice talk, but bottom line.... we lost...again.

Judging from the 4 dropped INT's today I say they are handcuffing Bortles for a good reason.

Just completely trolling, but how did red Bryant make it on the rookie watch?
Quote:.

3.  I found it quite interesting to learn Bradley took over the defense from Babich.  It appears the concerns of those over the Babich hiring (TMD and MalabarJag, IIRC, among others) were valid.  If Bradley replaces Babich at the end of the season, my hope is for Dave Wannstedt.

They only said that he became more "hands on."  Not that he took over any play calling. 

I agree it needed to happen though. Been doubting Babich's overuse of soft zone since week 3.  It's helped, but missed tackles and bad safety play is still killing this D. 
Quote:They only said that he became more "hands on."  Not that he took over any play calling. 

I agree it needed to happen though. Been doubting Babich's overuse of soft zone since week 3.  It's helped, but missed tackles and bad safety play is still killing this D. 
you just said in another thread that the defense has improved drastically

so, if they improved drastically, then why are you still mentioning missed tackles and bad safety play?

be consistent, man
Quote:Judging from the 4 dropped INT's today I say they are handcuffing Bortles for a good reason.

QFT
Quote:Just completely trolling, but how did red Bryant make it on the rookie watch?

He didn't.

Rookie watch was number 7.

The Bryant entry was #11.
great write-up.

my impression is that the offensive line to me has finally found a way to run the ball.  They are running with confidence, which is nice to see.

It was good to see Toby do some positive things.  I wish Denard didn't trip on his own feet (was it his shoelaces?) in the 3rd quarter because he could've had a long TD.

Bortles is struggling.  The sheer volume of bad decisions AS WELL AS bad throws is very alarming.  He is literally giving every defense 3-5 opportunities for turnovers in each and every game.

I'd add Jeremiah George to rookie watch.

Quote:you just said in another thread that the defense has improved drastically

so, if they improved drastically, then why are you still mentioning missed tackles and bad safety play?

be consistent, man

If you understood english, your cute little trolling act might be cute enough to bother with. 

But, you don't… so….  hit me back when you complete that remedial course. 

Quote:He didn't.

Rookie watch was number 7.

The Bryant entry was #11.

My bad Smile
I do believe in giving credit where credit is due, so I want to give a shout out to Toby Gerhart for his play in this game. I've been pretty... underwhelmed... up to this point by Gerhart; however, he played a pretty good game today. He actually made some pretty nice plays and ran like a bulldozer doing it. So here's one for Toby Gerhart. You're still not as fast or have the moves of DRob, but you're not too bad either as a change up type runner. Keep it up!

Impression from Today......watched no football......a great choice on my part!!

Quote:I do believe in giving credit where credit is due, so I want to give a shout out to Toby Gerhart for his play in this game. I've been pretty... underwhelmed... up to this point by Gerhart; however, he played a pretty good game today. He actually made some pretty nice plays and ran like a bulldozer doing it. So here's one for Toby Gerhart. You're still not as fast or have the moves of DRob, but you're not too bad either as a change up type runner. Keep it up!
I think they simply found the right role for Gerhart. He's not a feature back, and he's too slow to ever be one, but in this role as a secondary weapon he can be extremely good for this offense. 
Quote:I think they simply found the right role for Gerhart. He's not a feature back, and he's too slow to ever be one, but in this role as a secondary weapon he can be extremely good for this offense. 

He's great catching the ball out of the backfield. Glad they finally figured that out.  :confused:  

Having him stay in to chip block and leak out as a check down should be common on passing downs IMO. 
My impression is that we need more experience in the coaching department. My wish at least for next year is to have Bradley learn from his muscues in handling some head coaching decisions during game time, and have him focus the majority of his time on the defense. Hire a OC that has more experience, maybe even an ex head coach, so he can have full control of the offense. Fisch maybe alright when he's under an offensive minded coach but he can't handle the offensive decisions on his own.
The truth of the matter is that there were bright spots today on this team. The defense seems to be playing with more confidence each week and it clearly shows. They ARE getting better. The offensive running game just might be coming into its own with both the combination of DRob along with what appears to be a now healthy Toby Gerhart. There is MUCH to be pleased with. 

But, reality must set in and the reality is that Blake Bortles had (1) official interception and was literally damn lucky he didn't leave this game at the final buzzer with at least three (maybe 4) more picks. Had the Bengals defense been on their A game, this score would have gotten real ugly.....real fast. And that my fellow Jag fans is ALL on Blake Bortles.

Pages: 1 2