Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Football Gameplan's 2014 Jaguars vs Bengals Preview
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://footballgameplan.com/football-gam...e-jaguars/

Good afternoon Jaguars fans! Good luck this week!

Em

I agree with most of your points, as usual, but not the bit about Cincy's run game being "key."  The Jags' secondary is the weak spot, as you alluded to with the x-factor mention.  The Jags are well equipped to shut down Cincy's run game however.  The Bengals have struggled running the ball of late and the Jags have been effective against it.  

Cleveland and Tenn rushed for 69 and 70 yds recently vs the Jags -  while Miami was well contained with the exception of two plays. A Tannehill read-option for 30 yds and a missed tackle that let Lamar Miller scamper for 30 more. I think I have a little more confidence in the Jags run stopping ability than you do at this point. 

Enjoyed the vid. Keep up the good work.  :thumbsup:

Not only that, but Giovani Bernard was ruled out and A.J. Green is expected to play.

as has been said elsewhere, this game will depend on Bortles playing above what he has been doing. Blake is right in saying that he's killing us; he has set a new record (previously held by Geno Smith) for the most 'ints' thrown in one season... and Blake didn't even play the first three games! I think Blake has demonstrated 'flashes' of the 'right stuff' though; we're just going to have to endure this awkward season until he's learned the pro game. IF (and it's a big if...) Blake can keep from beating his own team, we 'might' have a shot at the bengals by virtue of our improving defense and run game. Seriously, while I think most of us are happy to have a 'gunslinger' at quarterback, it does come with some downside... especially with a rookie 'gunslinger'. I would be fine with it if Blake just 'cooled his jets' for a few games and leaned a bit more on the running game.

Quote:as has been said elsewhere, this game will depend on Bortles playing above what he has been doing. Blake is right in saying that he's killing us; he has set a new record (previously held by Geno Smith) for the most 'ints' thrown in one season... and Blake didn't even play the first three games! I think Blake has demonstrated 'flashes' of the 'right stuff' though; we're just going to have to endure this awkward season until he's learned the pro game. IF (and it's a big if...) Blake can keep from beating his own team, we 'might' have a shot at the bengals by virtue of our improving defense and run game. Seriously, while I think most of us are happy to have a 'gunslinger' at quarterback, it does come with some downside... especially with a rookie 'gunslinger'. I would be fine with it if Blake just 'cooled his jets' for a few games and leaned a bit more on the running game.

Not true. Peyton Manning threw 28 interceptions when he was a rookie. Who told you the record is 12?"
Thanks Gang! How has the local media/writers dealt with Bortles struggles? Are they chalking it up to him being a rookie or is there legit concern?

Quote:Thanks Gang! How has the local media/writers dealt with Bortles struggles? Are they chalking it up to him being a rookie or is there legit concern?

"Rookie stuff" is the take primarily.  If you break down the picks, they are overwhelmingly just bad (sometimes really bad) decisions. Coaches, fans and media seem confident that the bad decisions will be "fixable"  - while his innate pocket presence, elusiveness and willingness to look and throw deep all bode well for his future. 

If we don't see a curb in the number of picks by season's end - there is some reason for concern. (< a paraphrase of a comment from OC, Fisch)

Quote:Thanks gang! How has the local media/writers dealt with Bortles struggles? Are they chalking it up to him being a rookie or is there legit concern?

Not just the local media, but TV commentators are also chalking it up as "a rookie mistake" when it is Blake's fault the pass was intercepted. But there were others where it was the receiver's fault or an awesome play by the defense, so you can't blame Bortles for all 12 interceptions. Jedd Fisch talked about that several times.
Quote:Not true. Peyton Manning threw 28 interceptions when he was a rookie. Who told you the record is 12?"
my error. apologies all around....
Thought he meant INT for TD's....because I recall Bortles being mentioned with Geno concerning INT's.
Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://footballgameplan.com/football-gameplans-2014-nfl-week-9-preview-cincinnati-bengals-vs-jacksonville-jaguars/'>http://footballgameplan.com/football-gameplans-2014-nfl-week-9-preview-cincinnati-bengals-vs-jacksonville-jaguars/</a>

Good afternoon Jaguars fans! Good luck this week!

Em
If we went by your Game plan Geno Smith would be our qb right now and we would of took him in the 1st round