Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jaguars New Improved Defense
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Right now we are number 28th in the NFL ranked defense. We allow 390 yds a game. If we continue to allow lets say we allow no more than 320 yes per game and at that point our average per game will be 355 yds per game allowed and that will put us in the top half of the league at number 15. I call that a great improvement from last year. What do you guys think, is this possible since our defense has been pretty well over the last couple of weeks even with injury, not to mention we will have Aaron Colvin playing soon. 

Quote:Right now we are number 28th in the NFL ranked defense. We allow 390 yds a game. If we continue to allow lets say we allow no more than 320 yes per game and at that point our average per game will be 355 yds per game allowed and that will put us in the top half of the league at number 15. I call that a great improvement from last year. What do you guys think, is this possible since our defense has been pretty well over the last couple of weeks even with injury, not to mention we will have Aaron Colvin playing soon. 

Numbers aside, I think we have a pretty good defense right now, probably top 15.  Statistically we may not show it because of some pretty bad performances in the first few games.  Also there are still some issues in the secondary and we could use more depth/speed in our linebacker group but those are fixable.  Next year, we could definitely be there statistically but probably not this year (well aside from sack total).
Yeah we need a single high FS and maybe Poz can come back play one more year and find improvement at LB. Smith is young but we need one solid guy maybe FA OLB KJ Wright? Devin Mccourty as FS and we have a defense especially if Aaron Colvin turns out to be the shutdown corner everyone is praising him to be.  With a another solid draft we are set to go.

#1 defense in the red zone!
No doubt the D has become far better than it was last season, We just need to keep it up the rest of the season, our redzone d has been pretty sweet the last few weeks too which is an awesome thing to have.

It's a playoff caliber defense right now. And still might be progressing forward in the back 7.

Quote:#1 defense in the red zone!

Yeah cause the defense allowed 30-40 yard touchdowns the first 4 games ...

It has much improved though
This D has to start getting turnovers.  Add that to its repertoire and we should have one of the top defenses in the league. 
<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/HaysCarlyon'>Hays Carlyon ‏@HaysCarlyon </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/HaysCarlyon/status/527550101565485056' title="2:58 PM - 29 Oct 2014">32m32 minutes ago</a>
<p class="" style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">Gus says inexperience on defense not concerning because so many young players are stepping up like J.T. Thomas and McCray.

<p class="" style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;"> 

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/HaysCarlyon'>Hays Carlyon ‏@HaysCarlyon </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/HaysCarlyon/status/527551271889551360' title="3:03 PM - 29 Oct 2014">29m29 minutes ago</a>
<p class="" style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">Gus says he isn't worried about defense turning on offense, because he feels like <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/hashtag/Jaguars?src=hash'>#Jaguars</a> have a good culture.

Quote:This D has to start getting turnovers.  Add that to its repertoire and we should have one of the top defenses in the league. 

You'd think with the pressure our front generates we'd have more, for sure. Still, yards and points against are way down compared to where they were. Creating turnovers is the next step to building a dominant defense. I know this is an offense driven league...but I take no greater pride in my team than when they are playing lights out defensively. And we all know Jax has has some nasty defenses in it's short existence. Looks like we're on our way back there again!  :thumbsup:
Quote:Yeah we need a single high FS and maybe Poz can come back play one more year and find improvement at LB. Smith is young but we need one solid guy maybe FA OLB KJ Wright? Devin Mccourty as FS and we have a defense especially if Aaron Colvin turns out to be the shutdown corner everyone is praising him to be.  With a another solid draft we are set to go.

Very Well Stated...

Very Well...

NH3...
Quote:You'd think with the pressure our front generates we'd have more, for sure. Still, yards and points against are way down compared to where they were. Creating turnovers is the next step to building a dominant defense. I know this is an offense driven league...but I take no greater pride in my team than when they are playing lights out defensively. And we all know Jax has has some nasty defenses in it's short existence. Looks like we're on our way back there again!  :thumbsup:

So So True and Yes we're back on our way to Respectability w/concerns to our defense...

NH3...
If you exclude the 8 quarters we gave up 119 points, where would our defense be ranked in each category? The NFL ranks will never be accurate because they include the whole time we could not do anything right, which was the equivalent of two games. I would try to figure it out myself, but suck at math and definitely would do it wrong.

You have a good defense. You guys see what Miami did to San Diego today?

We looked like hot garbage last week against you guys.