Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Allen Hurns named one of the best undrafted rookies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Maybe we already knew this, but it is nice to know NFL experts agree. Teams are going to regret not drafting him because he clearly has the ability to help us score more points by making difficult catches and breaking tackles.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ed-rookies

Quote:Jacksonville Jaguars WR Allen Hurns (Miami)

If you did the 2014 NFL Draft today, Hurns would probably be taken in the third or fourth round. He has good size (6-foot-1, 195 pounds), long arms and big hands. He's not terribly fast, but runs well after the catch and adjusts well to the ball. He is second on the Jaguars with 45 receptions for 354 yards, and leads the team in TD receptions with three. He'll play a long time in the league at a starter's level.
Agreed.

He just simply needs to work on not fighting the ball so much at times (reason why he sometimes nearly drops wide-open passes). He needs to be more consistent, but then again, every rookie needs to work on being more consistent.

I noticed most of his drops came soon after Bortles took over, and I figure that's mostly adjusting to a new QB's throw. He seems to be doing better.

Quote:I noticed most of his drops came soon after Bortles took over, and I figure that's mostly adjusting to a new QB's throw. He seems to be doing better.

Hmmm. I could understand that if Blake was left-handed, but that should not happen with two right-handed quarterbacks. Maybe it is one of the mechanics issues Bortles talks about.

It was frustrating to see everyone drop passes while learning how to catch a Bortles throw.
Quote:I noticed most of his drops came soon after Bortles took over, and I figure that's mostly adjusting to a new QB's throw. He seems to be doing better.
The wobbly passes take some getting used to.
He has 22 Receptions, not 45.

Quote:The wobbly passes take some getting used to.
Beat me to it!
Quote:Hmmm. I could understand that if Blake was left-handed, but that should not happen with two right-handed quarterbacks. Maybe it is one of the mechanics issues Bortles talks about.

It was frustrating to see everyone drop passes while learning how to catch a Bortles throw.

Different QBs put different speeds on the ball and different trajectories as well.  The ball also comes out of their hands differently depending on their wind up and release points.  Sometimes a WR will even need to adjust his speed to meet the balls landing point for a different QB depending on how fast the ball gets to it's spot once it is thrown.
THIS
Quote:Hmmm. I could understand that if Blake was left-handed, but that should not happen with two right-handed quarterbacks. Maybe it is one of the mechanics issues Bortles talks about.

BB5 and Henne have very different throwing motions that result in different flights.
kick rocks bro
He just needs to get better at catching the ball with his hands and not use his body. Also learn how to catch in traffic. He has all the tools he needs to be successful but he just needs to learn how to catch. If he can do that than we will have a terrifying group of WR for years to come

Im pretty sure it has to do with him body catching EVERYTHING
Hurns is one of those receivers who is going to benefit enormously from an off season of work and will show considerable progress in his second year.  Considering how much raw talent the kid has, he should end up being a very good receiver for us.  He may never be known as having great hands, but neither did Jimmy Smith and he did pretty well for himself.

Cool to see him get some nods for being pretty good and a Jag. I hope his handwork starts to get a bit better and of course he still needs to be targeted.

Quote:Im pretty sure it has to do with him body catching EVERYTHING

This is completely correct. Hurns needs to use his hands to catch the ball. Instead he attempts to catch it with his chest a lot.
Quote:He has 22 Receptions, not 45.

Tell the NFL that. I just used a copy and paste.
He has 22 catches for 354 yds and 3 TDs.

http://www.nfl.com/player/allenhurns/2550353/profile

Though its been said 100 times…  Hurns was a great find in the crop of undrafted players and despite his rawness catching the ball  -  his route-running, adjustment to the ball in flight, and yards after catch ability are very impressive for an undrafted player.  He looks more like a late second rounder in those areas.

If Sullivan can get him to be more comfortable catching with his hands - he's a really good #3 or 4 receiver moving forward. He's caught a number of balls with his hands this season, so he obviously can do it, so I expect they'll continue to work through the bad habit. 

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;">From the link H8tank posted:

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;">DraftInsider.net’s Tony Pauline values Hurns’ toughness, maturity and dependability.

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;">“Hurns flashed ability during his sophomore and junior seasons then took his game to another level last year,” Pauline said. “Three-year starter coming off a career season which included 62 receptions, 1162 yards, and 6 TDs. Dependable receiver who significantly elevated his game last season. Fluid releasing off the line, quickly gets into breaks, and runs sharp routes. Uses the sidelines well and displays good hand-eye coordination. Easily adjusts to errant throws running full speed and smooth making the deep reception in stride. Makes the difficult over the shoulder catch and keeps the play in bounds running after the catch.”

Pages: 1 2