Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: November 2nd, 2008 is when the nightmare began
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=281102004

Just prior to the 2008 season, the Jaguars were seen by many as being heavy preseason favorites to win the Super Bowl that year. Just coming off of a huge win against Pittsburgh, and a very competitive showing against the then 16-0 New England Patriots, the Jags seemed to have all of the momentum heading into the season. But in typical #BecauseJaguars fashion, the team went 0-2 at the start of the season, and then struggled to a 3-3 start. The team would then lose to Cleveland in a very disappointing loss, but it wasn't until we lost to a then 0-8 Bengals squad that the wheels truly fell off the team.

The Jags were down 21-3 heading into the 4th Quarter, but despite a valiant effort by David Garrard and MJD to cut the lead to 21-19, the Jags were unable to convert the 2-point conversion, and since that game, it can be said that both teams have never been the same since.

The Jags have since gone 29-68 since that game, and we have had 7 consecutive seasons of failing to make the playoffs. In comparison, the Bengals have been 52-41-2 since that game, but they have made the playoffs since that time in 4 out of their last 5 seasons, and have built up a very talented young team. That's not to say that we're not improving today, but it's apparent that destiny seemed to flip on us ever since that time.

It's time to go to Paul Brown Stadium and do something that the 2008 Jags couldn't get done. It's time for this team to step up, beat a big team like Cincinnati, and take back our destiny.

I like it and living in Cincy it kinda makes since. Somehow they wiped the curse on us like a booger on a brother. It's time to give the curse back to whom it belongs.
Quote:I like it and living in Cincy it kinda makes since. Somehow they wiped the curse on us like a booger on a brother. It's time to give the curse back to whom it belongs.

Sense you put it that way...
There have been a lot things that have occurred since that Jaguars team got beat by a winless Bengals team back in 2008.  Getting a servicable QB in Andy Dalton and a potential future HOF wide receiver in AJ Green have certainly helped.  Keep in mind they also got extra 1st and 2nd round picks for the Carson Palmer deal.  If you can't turn your team around with an extra 1st & 2nd, your team should get relegated to the arena league.

The two extra picks turned into Gio Bernard and Dre Kirkpatrick.  That's not too shabby at all as they are both stars in this league.  For an historically inept franchise, they have been extremely shrewd on the business side as observed with the Carson Palmer deal and very good (and a little lucky) in their evaluation and drafting of college talent in recent years.  Those are the main reasons they are a perennial playoff team.

On the flip side, that Carson Palmer deal has buried the Raiders.  Anyone with even a casual interest in football knew that Carson Palmer wasn't taking that Raiders team anywhere and all it did was further empty the already bare cabinet of talent that the Raiders have on their current roster.  As bad as we've been since that time... it could obviously be worse when you look at the Raiders current situation.  As much as Raiders fans want Jon Gruden back and as much as he probably wants to coach again, I can't see him putting himself in a position where he's going to look bad for a while and possibly tarnish his reputation.  We shall see though.

Denard to put up 150 against another Ohio team

I'm hoping they think we will be an easy win for them, but I think teams are starting to understand we are starting to play better in areas. Just not fully clicking yet.

Quote:Denard to put up 150 against another Ohio team
It wouldn't surprise me. Bengals run defense has not looked very good the past few weeks IMO.

Maualuga may be out, Burfict is all banged up. They've been rolling with Lemur and Vinny Rey at LB alot lately.

The Jags should be able to move the ball well against them.

Idk about winning though. Although Cincy is a hot and cold team,, they're very tough to beat at home the last couple seasons.

They are 11-1-1 at home the past season and a half (the 1 loss being the playoff game of course,,, and Nugent missing a chip shot FG to win causing the tie).
I was at that game, the walk of shame really sucked.

I did not realize how bad our record has been since then.

What amazes me is that Cincy has 2 tie games in that time period.

Nightmares eventually end, right?

Quote:Lets get fired up!!!

One of the worst anachronisms in modern film.

Just awful.
The nightmare began on January 15, 2000 around 4pm!

Thats when the Marino Curse happened. :teehee:

62 -7 :thumbsup:

We just have to keep thinking: the NFL is truly a week to week affair.

I mean, you knew the Redskins, with Colt McCoy (!) starting, would beat the Cowboys, in Dallas. Right?