Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Rookie struggles of Manning and Bortles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
For those comparing their rookie seasons.....and Jaguar fans in general.....the link is worth a read.

http://m.sfgate.com/sports/article/As-Ma...984949.php

People can try to sugar coat this all they want. Two things:

Bortles isnt sniffing 26 tds, so the positives arent offsetting the negative at all.

The rules favor the passing game a lot more now than back then.
Guy is clearly going to be a bit of a project... Problem is if that growth drags out 2 or 3 years, idk that you can say he was worth the third overall pick.

Matt stafford would be the best comparison at this point I think.
So, BB has thrown for more yards (1,384) and less INTs (12) as compared to Manning (1,364/14) in the article in an equal comparison of 6 games?

Let's give the kid some time.

Thanks for the read!

Quote:Guy is clearly going to be a bit of a project... Problem is if that growth drags out 2 or 3 years, idk that you can say he was worth the third overall pick.

Matt stafford would be the best comparison at this point I think.

We are 5 starts in...let's at least give BB half the time we gave Gabbert.
I actually wanted to make a thread related to this. Any oldschool Jags fans here had the chance to watch Peyton his rookie season? Looking at his stats through his first 5 starts they were pretty similar to Bortles so I was wondering if Bortles is having the same trouble Peyton had or if it's something different.

wasn't russel Wilson a rookie last year as well?  if so he won the Super Bowl his rookie year.

no he wasn't

Quote:wasn't russel Wilson a rookie last year as well?  if so he won the Super Bowl his rookie year.
No, drafted in 2012...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14881/russell-wilson
thank you I wasn't sure.

Quote:I actually wanted to make a thread related to this. Any oldschool Jags fans here had the chance to watch Peyton his rookie season? Looking at his stats through his first 5 starts they were pretty similar to Bortles so I was wondering if Bortles is having the same trouble Peyton had or if it's something different.

Peyton was irrelevant his rookie year....then whooped our tails every year since!
It's funny how quickly opinions change week to week...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...s-new-no-1

Weren't these same type of threads made for Gabbert, where he was being compared to HoFers.  

Some choice quotes about Bortles:

Quote: 

"Their quarterback is going to be great," Delmas said of Bortles. "He's a big, solid dude who has a strong arm. But he's a rookie, and rookies make mistakes and try to come out and try to do too much." 

Quote: 

"I think it's just a lot of looks they haven't seen yet," Dolphins cornerback Jamar Taylor said of facing a rookie quarterback. "We're doing a good job of mixing it up. When you have Tom Brady, he probably knows what we're in before we know what we're in. 

"It's just stuff [Bortles] has to get used to. The game is probably going super fast for him right now. But it will eventually slow down for him." 

As he adjusts to the speed of the game, he'll throw fewer interceptions.  When he starts developing chemistry between himself and his young WR's, he'll start throwing more TD's.  And when our O-line is healthy and not giving up so much pressure, I think we'll see a better Blake Bortles out there.  

He needs to cut back on the INT's, but I think it'll happen with time.  I expected two interceptions this week.  I think after the bye week, we'll see him start to cut back on turnnovers.

Quote:I actually wanted to make a thread related to this. Any oldschool Jags fans here had the chance to watch Peyton his rookie season? Looking at his stats through his first 5 starts they were pretty similar to Bortles so I was wondering if Bortles is having the same trouble Peyton had or if it's something different.

He was extremely terrible. He eventually figured a few things out towards the end of the season but it was more game plan taylored. He understood more so how to audible to Faulk and use Harrison effectively. Nonetheless it was very ugly for him.

Honestly at this point Bortles looks better than Peyton did at this same point it's just he has to have the game slow down for him. The teams he is facing are giving him looks they know he's never seen and that is where most of his ints are coming from not just poor reads.

In the end this is quite normal for rookie first round pick qbs. What sets the good ones apart from the bad one is really the work ethic and the ability to learn and not lose confidence.

It appears Blake had those abilities.
People still seem to be missing that manning threw 26 touchdowns that year
Quote:People still seem to be missing that manning threw 26 touchdowns that year

And you seem to be missing that Manning had Marshall Faulk and Marvin Harrison.  
Bortles is going to be fine... just give him time.
It's not that critical at this point for him to be great at his job. It's critical he learns at the NFL speed when not to take chances with the ball and when to take what he can get. As long as that process is developing he will get to the point where we expect him to get to. Might as well be this year he learns rather than learning when the rest of the team has developed into a solid group.

Regards.....................the Chiefjag

Besides, nobody is saying "OMG BLAKE IS GOING TO BE PEYTON MANNING 2.0".

They're saying (for the dense among us):

"Peyton Manning is a Top 3 QB All time.  If even he threw a ton of INT's in his first year, then it's not something that can't be overcome with time."

Pages: 1 2