Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Texas Man Facing the Death Penalty After Shooting a Police Officer During a "No Knock" Raid
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Marvin Louis Guy has been charged with one count of capital murder for fatally shooting a SWAT team officer as he attempted to enter Guy's house during a raid authorized by a "no knock" warrant.

Police were reportedly acting on an informant's tip. There are reports that Guy did not know the intruders were police and shot the officer, as well as two others, fearing for the safety of himself and his family.

More recent reports say that no drugs were found, but there was a glass pipe, grinder as well as a gun found in the house.

Sounds like another causality from the war on drugs. Shouldn't be surprised no knock warrants are going to lead to casualties on both sides. All because what they thought he was involved in narcotics? Is it really worth it anymore?

I'm not sure how legally how all this plays out. It would require looking more into it, but the entire situation is avoidable. We just need to end the failed notion that we can wage a moral war against substance abuse.

Quote:Marvin Louis Guy has been charged with one count of capital murder for fatally shooting a SWAT team officer as he attempted to enter Guy's house during a raid authorized by a "no knock" warrant.

Police were reportedly acting on an informant's tip. There are reports that Guy did not know the intruders were police and shot the officer, as well as two others, fearing for the safety of himself and his family.

More recent reports say that no drugs were found, but there was a glass pipe, grinder as well as a gun found in the house.

I assume he will have a jury trial, and he will be allowed to tell the jury that he was only defending himself against unknown intruders, and that this was a terrible accident.   I can see a hung jury if those are the facts and he gets a good lawyer.   And if he gets a "downtown" jury, he could be acquitted.  
Knock knock

Who's there?

Oh, um, nevermind!

Quote:Sounds like another causality from the war on drugs. Shouldn't be surprised no knock warrants are going to lead to casualties on both sides. All because what they thought he was involved in narcotics? Is it really worth it anymore?

I'm not sure how legally how all this plays out. It would require looking more into it, but the entire situation is avoidable. We just need to end the failed notion that we can wage a moral war against substance abuse.

I think you are correct. In both cases I linked, the police suspected drug dealers were inside. At the rick of being accused of race baiting, I find it interesting that the man in the first case is black and was indicted, the second man is whte and was not indicted. The difference may be that other officers were also shot by Guy, and they are in different jurisdictions. Still, both instances stink. Men lost lives over something that should not even be illegal.
Why was a no-knock raid necessary for this arrest? The main reason we don't trust government, they always abuse the power we give them.

Quote:Why was a no-knock raid necessary for this arrest? The main reason we don't trust government, they always abuse the power we give them.

I'm wondering the same thing. From other reports, it appears the police were acting on information from an informant. A judge issued a no-knock warrant based on that?
Quote:I think you are correct. In both cases I linked, the police suspected drug dealers were inside. At the rick of being accused of race baiting, I find it interesting that the man in the first case is black and was indicted, the second man is whte and was not indicted. The difference may be that other officers were also shot by Guy, and they are in different jurisdictions. Still, both instances stink. Men lost lives over something that should not even be illegal.

I haven't look at both articles thoroughly but it wouldn't surprise me if that's the main difference. There's no denying by anyone that's being honest that the war on drugs targets blacks more then anyone. It's a big reason I don't understand the black communities blind faith in the democratic party which is just as guilty of pimping the war on drugs. One only has to look at the difference in sentencing between crack and cocaine to know the objective of the war on drugs. 

It'll eventually end just like prohibition of alcohol ended so will the prohibition of narcotics. Either we will realize as a society you can't legislate morality or we will go broke trying. One way or another it'll end. 
It's always been my opinion that No Knock raids should only be granted for extraordinary circumstances.  And even then the police should be required to monitor the target premises before hand for however long it takes to ensure not only their own safety, but the safety of potential innocents.  

What I would like to know in these cases is why couldn't police arrest the offender outside the premises and then conduct a search under warrant?   Especially if they suspect weapons could be involved.  

Quote:I assume he will have a jury trial, and he will be allowed to tell the jury that he was only defending himself against unknown intruders, and that this was a terrible accident.   I can see a hung jury if those are the facts and he gets a good lawyer.   And if he gets a "downtown" jury, he could be acquitted.  

There was a similar case in Brevard County in the 1990's. The jury acquitted the guy in that case.

Welcome to Police State USA

Quote:Welcome to Police State USA

Bingo