Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Midseason Report Card
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Halfway through the season, the Jags are certainly lacking in the win department, but where does this team sit? Maybe better than the record would indicate.

Offense:

QB - Bortles is taking his lumps as a rookie. He is a work in progress, and it's hard to say where he end up. Could be average to very good, but nobody knows yet. Will need a backup/developmental QB for the long term though. The only one this team ever had was Garrard.

O-Line - The youth and inexperience is the biggest problem here. The group is actually improving week by week, and I LOVE what I am seeing from the rookies. I think Bowanko and Linder are penciled in for the next several years. The tackles concern me though. Pasztor is playing through injuries, so he gets a bit of a pass. Joeckel needs to start showing more. Beadles is more of a short term fix rather than a long term answer. Look for at least one new face next year.

RB - Robinson is intriguing and could be a rising star. The jury is still out on Gerhart due to injury. He could be one and done. This group may have it's long term starter, but needs attention. Fullback is fine.

WR - I like what we have in Robinson and Hurns. Past that, there is a big drop off. Shorts, Lee, and Sanders aren't doing anything much. Lee could still turn out good, but needs to show something at some point. This group could use depth down the road. Aside the 3 rookies and maybe Sanders, blow it up this next offseason.

TE - Lewis is still good when he plays, which is next to never. Harbor is decent, but nothing special. This is a 911 group this offseason.

Defense:

D-line - Looking good right now, but with lots of older players, needs attention for the long haul. Love this unit overall though. Lots of youth in guys like Davis, Marks, and Branch. Lots of age too in Clemons and Bryant, Miller needs to be re-signed ASAP. Alualu and Hood could be replaced/upgraded pretty easily. Maybe not this offseason, but no later than after next year.

Linebackers - Unlike many around here, I am a huge believer in Posluszny. I think the guy is good. I am also excited to see more of Telvin Smith. Overall though, this unit is weak, and needs serious attention.

Defensive Backs - Cyp has locked down the SS spot. Evans had been adequate at FS. Aside from Cyp, this is another 911 area of need. CB is harder to evaluate. What do we have in Colvin? Nobody knows. I love what I am seeing from McCray. Gratz is hot and cold. Ball has been decent. Could address depth and upgrade this area too during the next offseason.

Special Teams:

It's time to look at this unit and soon. Scobee has not been automatic like he has been in years past. I think he might be fine for a couple more seasons, but it bears watching though. For a third round pick, Anger has been less than impressive. He's just a guy. I know the team got "Gened" by using a third rounder on Anger, but the bottom line is that he is more expensive than a UDFA or street FA. He doesn't justify that difference. Sanders and Todman have been less than special at returning  kicks and punts. Look for changes during the offseason.

Coaching:

The jury is out still here. At least it is for me. With this much youth and inexperience, it's hard to say how much is on the coaching. Good teams always make coaches look better. Some upgrades could be coming this offseason.

The roster is looking a whole lot better as things come together compared to this time last year. Sure the record stinks and losing sucks but we have a lot of young guys making plays who are only going to get better. This upcoming offseason is critical as is next season. With a strong draft and some good FA pickups I'd at least expect the team to be pushing for a .500 record.

Dave has impressed me with 80% of his moves and believe he is the GM that we needed. The rest of the staff will be judged on next season for me, if the record is still stinking and we start off 0-6 or whatever then I'd probably be on the fire Gus bus.

I think we have the makings of a good team.    It's all up to the QB now.   If Bortles can get it going, we can win some games.  

Give us another year or two to accumulate talent and fill the holes we still have, and we will have a winning team. 
Imagine if Bortles last 2 games had been good... we'd have destroyed the Browns and Dolphins.

Caldwell is drafting really well. You see it every week. If he can keep it up, the future will be very bright.
Caldwell has had good drafts, not so much success with free agents.  

Time to cut Poz and Lewis, might as well throw Dakoda Watson and Toby Gerhart in there as free agent busts as well.  
Toby is garbage. Watson I haven't really paid attantion to or heads anything...

Poz and Lewis have been crap for a while... Just overpaid vets to try and teach their ways of sucking to our young lads
Young guys may or may not get better.

People need to stop assuming that young players automatically get better and improve enough to become good players. Sometimes they do, most times they don't.
I've wanted to say this.... Great players turn it around...

I sure hope blake rallies. I have faith but he's looking like a lost puppy out there... The line has gelled though
Quote:Caldwell has had good drafts, not so much success with free agents.  

Time to cut Poz and Lewis, might as well throw Dakoda Watson and Toby Gerhart in there as free agent busts as well.  

He's had some successes there. Marks, Ball, Miller, Bryant, Clemons.

We really don't know what we have with Watson as he's been hurt most of the season. Sort of like Miller last year.

I think we know what we have with Gerhart and Beadles and think both could be gone next year.

I am interested to see if Papa Khan lets them target some of the top tier free agents this offseason.
QB - C-

WR - C

OL - D

RB - C-

TE - C+

DL - A+

LB - B-

CB - C+

SS - A-

FS - C+

K - C-

P - B-