Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: IRS to delay tax refunds for millions of low-income families
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know this is going to be a true hardship to many but they can blame those who game the system for this, although I suspect the blame will fall on the conservatives somehow. It's unbelievable to me how much money is lost in this system. As many people that work for the agencies that oversee this stuff and still it's a broken system should tell us something about how much change is needed. 

I was initially all about Obama and his 'hope and change' and is one reason I voted for him in '08. Then I realized his 'hope and change' had nothing to do with changing a broken system but in social experiments better left to community organizers.

Story

WASHINGTON — The IRS is delaying tax refunds for more than 40 million low-income families this year as the agency steps up efforts to fight identity theft and fraud.

The delays will affect families claiming the earned income tax credit and the additional child tax credit. These tax breaks are geared to benefit the working poor, and many families claim both.

"For most of these people it's the biggest check they are going to get all year," IRS Commissioner John Koskinen said in an interview with The Associated Press. "We are sensitive to that."

The tax filing season starts Jan. 23. But a new law requires the IRS to delay tax refunds for people claiming these credits until Feb. 15. Processing times will delay most of the refunds until the end of February, Koskinen said.

The delay is designed to give the agency more time to screen the returns for fraud. The IRS estimates that it issued $3.1 billion in fraudulent tax refunds to identity thieves in 2014. The year before, the agency says, it paid out $5.8 billion in fraudulent refunds. Over those two years, the IRS says it blocked nearly $47 billion in fraudulent refunds.

I don't care what your political affiliation is, the above in
red bold letters
should be a problem for everyone. 

The system is broken...I would love to abolish the IRS all together.  EVERYBODY pay ___% taxes and you don't get any of it back.  No matter if you make $20k a year or $100m a year.  A flat tax rate.

Quote:The system is broken...I would love to abolish the IRS all together.  EVERYBODY pay ___% taxes and you don't get any of it back.  No matter if you make $20k a year or $100m a year.  A flat tax rate.

What? And put thousands and thousands of lawyers, accountants and lobbyists out of work?

The tax code is used to encourage and penalize behavior. I don't see the majority of politicians getting away from that.
Damn straight.

Quote:The system is broken...I would love to abolish the IRS all together.  EVERYBODY pay ___% taxes and you don't get any of it back.  No matter if you make $20k a year or $100m a year.  A flat tax rate.
I have thought this to be a good idea for years. Sadly, part of what Adam said is true and it will never be realized.
I didn't say it would happen...but I would love for it to happen.

A consumption tax like the Fair Tax Act is what we need.

Quote:A consumption tax like the Fair Tax Act is what we need.
yeah I liked most of it...Harry Reid parked that bill under a mountain of other bills that never had a chance...Maybe the GOP can dig it up now that he's gone
Eat the poor!
Quote:Eat the poor!

Good idea, Jonathan Swift.
Quote:Eat the poor!

Not all, but a vast number of poor people in this country are in that position by their own doing.
Hate the IRS? Punch a liberal.

They made the IRS into a monster.
Doesn't bother me..
Quote:Good idea, Jonathan Swift.

Good reference!
Could be a lot more audits going out this tax season
Our tax system right now is so unfair to the working person.  When I look at my tax BILL every year I get more PO'd.  Yes it is a bill for me and many others that actually pay taxes.  I've seen far too many others that hardly even work get tax "refunds" that equal more than their monthly salary.  I know people that depend on their tax "refund" in order to buy expensive things (TV's, game consoles, Jaguars season tickets, etc.) that don't improve their situation.

Quote:Our tax system right now is so unfair to the working person. When I look at my tax BILL every year I get more PO'd. Yes it is a bill for me and many others that actually pay taxes. I've seen far too many others that hardly even work get tax "refunds" that equal more than their monthly salary. I know people that depend on their tax "refund" in order to buy expensive things (TV's, game consoles, Jaguars season tickets, etc.) that don't improve their situation.

You know when you fill out tax information for your work and it asks you if you would like any additional money withheld from your check for tax purposes? That's what I do. An extra $20 a paycheck. Most times it doesn't get used and I get all that money refunded back to me at the end of the year.
Quote:Not all, but a vast number of poor people in this country are in that position by their own doing.

System plays a big role too. The welfare system where I live provides young people with a large weekly wage and rent supplements if you don't have a job. Pretty much anyone can apply and once you know the rules you can stay in it forever. The more kids you have the more you make too
Quote:You know when you fill out tax information for your work and it asks you if you would like any additional money withheld from your check for tax purposes? That's what I do. An extra $20 a paycheck. Most times it doesn't get used and I get all that money refunded back to me at the end of the year.

The thing is, rather than give the government that extra $20 per paycheck and waiting to get it back, why not put that $20 into an interest earning account?
Quote:System plays a big role too. The welfare system where I live provides young people with a large weekly wage and rent supplements if you don't have a job. Pretty much anyone can apply and once you know the rules you can stay in it forever. The more kids you have the more you make too

The problem with that is, divide the population of the U.S. by the population of your country (Ireland) then do the math.  Something like that is not sustainable.

The other problem is getting people that don't have a job to work.  There are far too many lazy people that would happily live off of the government teet (tax paying citizens) rather than get off of their butts and go to work.  Some think that just because they have a college degree they should be "entitled" to a job that pays higher wages.  They would rather sit on their butts and collect welfare and/or unemployment than take a job that is "beneath them".  I've seen it first hand.
Pages: 1 2