Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The most expensive Senate race in the country
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
"Despite a relatively low-cost local media market, more than $55 million in outside money has already been spent in North Carolina, and the race is expected to ultimately carry a $90 million price tag. This would make it far and away the most expensive Senate race in American history. While the state has been riven by local political controversies, largely because of actions the state legislature took under Tillis, the majority of TV ads in recent weeks have featured generic partisan arguments unconnected to local voter concerns. The outside groups pouring money into the state have done so with an eye toward the balance of power in the U.S. Senate."

There are so many things wrong in politics right now but the above paragraph from this story out of North Carolina speaks volumes as to how jacked up things really are.

I don't have regular TV so I haven't seen any of these ads but I have seen articles and ads online and it's ridiculous how negative it has all gotten. I know who I am voting for and slinging mud isn't going to change my mind. Sadly between these two there's not a good choice either way. 

To top it off we have outsiders putting ads on TV that apparently the candidates don't even know about, not for the "good of the citizens of the state", but for leverage in DC. This just makes me so angry. I don't know if this is a normal thing to happen as I don't follow politics very closely and haven't had regular TV in years so I haven't been subjected to all of the nasty-grams, so I'm a little naive when when it comes to some of this stuff. What I want to know about a politician and their record I read about online from various sources to get as fair and balanced a picture as possible. 

I have been highly mistrustful of politicians, corporations, lobbyists.....heck, all of it, for about 10 years now and stuff like this doesn't make it any better. The government is not on the side of the People and hasn't been for a long time. It's too bad we can't come together as a nation and fire all of them and start with a totally clean slate. None of the career politicians should be in office after this election. But that won't happen because this nation hasn't had to truly suffer enough yet for the people to affect change. 

It's horrible...the Governor race in Florida is all about mud slinging...

I'm not voting for either of them I don't think. I may vote for Scott just because I'm scared a vote for Wiley would be a vote for Crist. 

I told my 10 year old son this morning that I wish the military would have a belly-full of it and throw all the bums out. Our Government is a sham. 

Anyone who WANTS to run for office, shouldn't be allowed to. People should be nominated and chosen that way. Anyone who wants the power will abuse it. I wouldn't want to be city councilman in Macclenny but, would I do a damn good job of it if I were chosen for the position. I'd try my hardest, and that's the issue. These people that want to run for elected office, have their agendas.... 

Rick Scott and Charlies Christ race is the most pathetic race I've seen to date. Their campaigns literally consist of "at least I'm not him! he is rich!" I'm voting Adrian, honestly I could care less which one of those idiots wins it won't make a damn bit of difference they both suck. 

If the third party gets 15% of the vote they HAVE to let them in the debates next time around. If Adrian Wyllie was allowed to participate in the debates I think he would've stood a chance to pull the upset. A vote for the third party is a vote for the next election.

I'm not a FAN of Charlie Crist. Lol. Get it? GET IT? Hahahaha...

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.
Quote:It's horrible...the Governor race in Florida is all about mud slinging...

I'm not voting for either of them I don't think. I may vote for Scott just because I'm scared a vote for Wiley would be a vote for Crist. 

I told my 10 year old son this morning that I wish the military would have a belly-full of it and throw all the bums out. Our Government is a sham. 

Anyone who WANTS to run for office, shouldn't be allowed to. People should be nominated and chosen that way. Anyone who wants the power will abuse it. I wouldn't want to be city councilman in Macclenny but, would I do a damn good job of it if I were chosen for the position. I'd try my hardest, and that's the issue. These people that want to run for elected office, have their agendas.... 

So when did you decide to become a Fascist? I hope you son learns to ignore you and learns to love liberty and democracy instead.
Quote:So when did you decide to become a Fascist? I hope you son learns to ignore you and learns to love liberty and democracy instead.

Yeah, that kind of shocked me too.
Quote: 

I believe you are correct.  An idealistic vote for Wiley could dilute Scott's returns by up to 10%.  
I'm glad I don't have to vote down there. I remember Crist and was surprised, or maybe not, that he switched parties and is going at it again. I was still in Jacksonville during the tail end of the last election and remember Scott's ads and his opponents ads. Mudslinging galore. It's like the actual issues don't matter anymore, it's all about slamming the opponent. I guess standing on the foundation of your beliefs doesn't get you elected anymore. 

There are no true patriots anymore in politics. It's all about getting what they want for themselves and the corporation(s) and special interest group(s) got them into office.

We the People are just sideline viewers. 

Quote:So when did you decide to become a Fascist? I hope you son learns to ignore you and learns to love liberty and democracy instead.
I didn't say that they keep control of it...

Throw 'em all out and start over. a Reset if you will. 
Quote:I'm not a FAN of Charlie Crist. Lol. Get it? GET IT? Hahahaha...

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

John Stewart had a great segment about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOT_sVxVYKU
Quote:I didn't say that they keep control of it...

Throw 'em all out and start over. a Reset if you will. 

I'm sure you and the Generals would do a great job. Don't forget the brown shirts.
Quote:I'm sure you and the Generals would do a great job. Don't forget the brown shirts.
If we're going that way, your first in front of the squad.
Quote:"Despite a relatively low-cost local media market, more than $55 million in outside money has already been spent in North Carolina, and the race is expected to ultimately carry a $90 million price tag. This would make it far and away the most expensive Senate race in American history. While the state has been riven by local political controversies, largely because of actions the state legislature took under Tillis, the majority of TV ads in recent weeks have featured generic partisan arguments unconnected to local voter concerns. The outside groups pouring money into the state have done so with an eye toward the balance of power in the U.S. Senate."

There are so many things wrong in politics right now but the above paragraph from this story out of North Carolina speaks volumes as to how jacked up things really are.

I don't have regular TV so I haven't seen any of these ads but I have seen articles and ads online and it's ridiculous how negative it has all gotten. I know who I am voting for and slinging mud isn't going to change my mind. Sadly between these two there's not a good choice either way. 

To top it off we have outsiders putting ads on TV that apparently the candidates don't even know about, not for the "good of the citizens of the state", but for leverage in DC. This just makes me so angry. I don't know if this is a normal thing to happen as I don't follow politics very closely and haven't had regular TV in years so I haven't been subjected to all of the nasty-grams, so I'm a little naive when when it comes to some of this stuff. What I want to know about a politician and their record I read about online from various sources to get as fair and balanced a picture as possible. 

I have been highly mistrustful of politicians, corporations, lobbyists.....heck, all of it, for about 10 years now and stuff like this doesn't make it any better. The government is not on the side of the People and hasn't been for a long time. It's too bad we can't come together as a nation and fire all of them and start with a totally clean slate. None of the career politicians should be in office after this election. But that won't happen because this nation hasn't had to truly suffer enough yet for the people to affect change. 

North Carolina is a weird state.   It's currently controlled by the Republicans, but in 2008 it went for Obama, and is trending more and more moderate/liberal and less and less conservative.   In the western part of the state, where I spend a lot of time, there are a lot of houses with confederate flags out front and people seem to be pretty republican/conservative.   It's in the bigger cities like Charlotte and the university triangle (Duke, UNC, etc) that there are a lot more liberals.  The better educated people tend to be democrats.   But the Democrats don't seem to turn out for local or statewide races, hence the Republican control of the legislature and governership.    I have read some experts who say North Carolina will become a blue state in the future because of the types of people who are moving there.  
Quote:North Carolina is a weird state.   It's currently controlled by the Republicans, but in 2008 it went for Obama, and is trending more and more moderate/liberal and less and less conservative.   In the western part of the state, where I spend a lot of time, there are a lot of houses with confederate flags out front and people seem to be pretty republican/conservative.   It's in the bigger cities like Charlotte and the university triangle (Duke, UNC, etc) that there are a lot more liberals.  The better educated people tend to be democrats.   But the Democrats don't seem to turn out for local or statewide races, hence the Republican control of the legislature and governership.    I have read some experts who say North Carolina will become a blue state in the future because of the types of people who are moving there.  

I don;t know about the part in bold.
Quote:I don;t know about the part in bold.

I was referring to academic education, meaning having or not having a college degree, etc.  In North Carolina, democratic party gains are driven by well educated white city people and university people.   The country folks are pretty conservative.

I think there are a lot of studies that support the claim that the better (academically) educated people are, the more likely they are to vote democratic.    That doesn't mean democrats as a whole are better educated or smarter.   Just that the better educated people are trending democratic.  There are probably a lot of dumb democrats that bring the average back down to the normal range.   I mean, it is possible that democrats are both smart and dumb, but Republicans are average. 

http://www.politifact.com/georgia/statem...endencies/

Of course, in response to this idea, there are thousands of articles by Republicans that "prove" they are smarter than Democrats.   Which may or may not be true.  So, no need to be defensive about it. 

Quote:I was referring to academic education, meaning having or not having a college degree, etc.  In North Carolina, democratic party gains are driven by well educated white city people and university people.   The country folks are pretty conservative.

I think there are a lot of studies that support the claim that the better (academically) educated people are, the more likely they are to vote democratic.    That doesn't mean democrats as a whole are better educated or smarter.   Just that the better educated people are trending democratic.  There are probably a lot of dumb democrats that bring the average back down to the normal range.   I mean, it is possible that democrats are both smart and dumb, but Republicans are average. 

Of course, in response to this idea, there are thousands of articles by Republicans that "prove" they are smarter than Democrats.   Which may or may not be true.  So, no need to be defensive about it. 

Not being defensive, and I think I get what you are saying.

All that I am saying is having an academic education does not necessarily mean better educated.  I know of several people personally that have college degrees, in some cases even a Master's Degree that don't have a bit of common sense.
Quote:I was referring to academic education, meaning having or not having a college degree, etc.  In North Carolina, democratic party gains are driven by well educated white city people and university people.   The country folks are pretty conservative.

I'm a pretty country guy, grew up that way and you're right in the county right wing politics rules the day. I went back to college a couple years ago, working full time and finishing my BAS in Business. In my college classes both online and physically going it was left wing politics 80% of the time. I ran into other adult students like myself but the majority of the kids (18-22) where overwhelmingly liberal. Many of the professors where openly liberal as well, some of them even hostile towards non-liberal politics.

In my experience the college's are ruled by liberal professors, which leads to liberal students. I don't think it has anything do with the education but more the culture of college today.  
Quote:I'm a pretty country guy, grew up that way and you're right in the county right wing politics rules the day. I went back to college a couple years ago, working full time and finishing my BAS in Business. In my college classes both online and physically going it was left wing politics 80% of the time. I ran into other adult students like myself but the majority of the kids (18-22) where overwhelmingly liberal. Many of the professors where openly liberal as well, some of them even hostile towards non-liberal politics.

In my experience the college's are ruled by liberal professors, which leads to liberal students. I don't think it has anything do with the education but more the culture of college today.  

DIng! Ding! Ding!

We 'ave a winna!
Winna winna chiken dinna!

Quote:I'm a pretty country guy, grew up that way and you're right in the county right wing politics rules the day. I went back to college a couple years ago, working full time and finishing my BAS in Business. In my college classes both online and physically going it was left wing politics 80% of the time. I ran into other adult students like myself but the majority of the kids (18-22) where overwhelmingly liberal. Many of the professors where openly liberal as well, some of them even hostile towards non-liberal politics.

I disagree that liberal professors lead to liberal students. 

When I went to college, I only had maybe... one liberal professor.  And I disliked his teaching.  He talked about sex way too much, and it was awkward because he was old.  Now I didn't dislike him as a person -- he was a nice guy.  He certainly went out of his way to help students who couldn't afford their text books.  But I'd say if anything he wasn't a major influence on me at all.

Yet, as I went through college I became more liberal.  I don't think it was because I was becoming more educated.  But it wasn't because of the professors I had either.  (I had a marketing professor who was very much a Reaganite)

What actually changed me was how I saw the politicians that we have.  

Back when I was more conservative, I held by the joke:

"A republican and a democrat are walking down the road and encounter a homeless man.  The homeless man asks them for money, so that he can eat.  The Republican pulls out a $50 and hands it to him.  The Democrat, not to be outdone, takes a $100 out of the Republicans pocket, and hands it to the homeless man."

But I began to see the Republicans weren't so compassionate after all.  At least not the politicians. They cared more about big business, and their religious beliefs.  And I began to see that one person's religion should not be the basis for any laws.  Especially the more I learned about laws in the middle east especially regarding women.

As I became more educated, I suppose I realized the two parties aren't so different anymore.  I used to be a big believer in Reagan's nine scariest words in the English language.  But now Republicans are basically Socially Conservative Democrats.  And as I became less socially conservative, the more I realized that they weren't the party for me.

Pages: 1 2