Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Miami Game has Huge Implications
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
"Miami Week" - what more can anyone say. The Jaguars win over Cleveland puts us right back in the PDL Cup race, and I for one cannot wait for Sunday. Both teams are red hot and  on winning streaks and I expect to see an extremely high level of football being played. The Jaguars 1-6 record is much more impressive considering our schedule than the Dolphins 3-3 record, and I don't see this game as being much of a contest. It will be good to be able to rest Bortles after the first quarter, and let Chad Henne get some snaps against his former team. 

The Ponce De Leon Cup, which is named after the Spanish conquistador Juan Ponce De Leon who discovered the great state of Florida, is the award given to the NFL team in Florida who finishes the regular season with the best record. It should be noted that many historians believe Ponce De Leon lived within the current Jacksonville boundaries for years thereafter after making his discovery.  The Jags won the cup last season after winning  the tie breaker (most points scored vs. the KC Chiefs)  over Tampa Bay to capture the cup in one of the most exciting week 17 finishes in the history of the NFL that saw the Jags lose at 12:00 CST, and Tampa do the same in the late game slot. Both teams finished 4-12, and who would have thought that a safety on opening day weekend scored against the Chiefs would be the lone difference in winning this championship. Miami was disqualified midway through the year following the ugly bullying incident that has since defined and for all practical purposes destroyed their franchise. They should probably relocate and start over after exhibiting such porous and inexcusable behavior. 

Current PDL Standings are as follows:

1. Miami 3-3

2. Jacksonville 1-6 (standings weighted to award teams whom have played the most games)

3. Tampa Bay 1-5 

Needless to say, this week is a big one - a win gets us right back in the divisional and Ponce De Leon Cup Race!

I think "Huge Implications" is a bit of an over exaggeration for this game in the state of Florida, and especially outside the state of Florida.

There are no huge implications in any game the Jaguars play.

Quote:There are no huge implications in any game the Jaguars play.
Not true... If we win 8 more in a row and the last game is for the division... Does that game have huge implications?! I believe so!

Boom roasted JW!
Classic!
Quote:Not true... If we win 8 more in a row and the last game is for the division... Does that game have huge implications?! I believe so!

Boom roasted JW!

The keyword there is IF. We all know the chances of that happening are microscopic.
Quote:Not true... If we win 8 more in a row and the last game is for the division... Does that game have huge implications?! I believe so!

Boom roasted JW!

I've been waiting my entire life for a post like this. Well done sir, well done
Hope Gus has the team fired up and fully understanding of the importance of winning the Ponce De Leon cup.
Quote:I've been waiting my entire life for a post like this. Well done sir, well done

Well then you can cross it off the bucket list.
I thought Florida was discovered by some nice old retired Jewish folks from Long Island?

Quote:The Jags won the cup last season after winning  the tie breaker (most points scored vs. the KC Chiefs)  over Tampa Bay to capture the cup in one of the most exciting week 17 finishes in the history of the NFL that saw the Jags lose at 12:00 CST, and Tampa do the same in the late game slot. Both teams finished 4-12, and who would have thought that a safety on opening day weekend scored against the Chiefs would be the lone difference in winning this championship.

I was lol at this part. 

Totally lost but sounds cool...right?

Quote:I've been waiting my entire life for a post like this. Well done sir, well done

Glad I could be of service.
Quote:I thought Florida was discovered by some nice old retired Jewish folks from Long Island?

Winner!
What is an "implication"?
Don't know about huge.....but it would be sweet to come out with a W.

oh and have I missed something....we're on a winning streak?

Perfectly said. Can we bully the phins on Sunday please?
Quote: 

Current PDL Standings are as follows:

1. Miami 3-3

2. Jacksonville 1-6 (standings weighted to award teams whom have played the most games)

3. Tampa Bay 1-5 

I, for one, can not tell you how excited I am that we are back in the running for the Ponce de Leon Cup! I know that when Gus came to town, he laid out the goals in an orderly fashion: get better every week, strive to make the playoffs, win the division, reach the Super Bowl, and claim the Ponce de Leon Cup. Having reached this lofty goal in season 1, I was concerned that the Jaguars would suffer the same "Champion" malaise that has impacted the Seattle Seahawks, but as we saw in the dominating effort against Cleveland, this team won't let success get to its head.

A win against the Dolphins should lock up the PDL for the Jaguars for a second year in a row. The team will need to focus to avoid complacency on road trips to Baltimore, Indianapolis and Houston, but I believe that Gus will remind them that the ultimate prize is within their grasp, and they can achieve it for a second year in a row.
This isn't a big game on paper, but for a rising young team it is huge. Jags got their first win last Sunday. Does the victory streak carry on? Miami has a good team. This won't be an easy W.

The week is so much more intriguing after a win like that. I miss it on a more regular basis. Hopefully we can keep the momentum. Miami has the tendency to show up big and then fade. Hopefully they come in on their high horse this week and get a reality check.

Pages: 1 2