Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: *** Official 2014 MLB World Series Thread ***
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Because it ain't official until it's official.

The Giants can make their case for being what passes for a dynasty in this modern era of sports if they win their third WS title in five years.

The Royals have been a great story, nearly 3 decades without a playoff appearance, then breezing through this postseason undefeated. They play an exciting brand of baseball.

A $149 million payroll (Giants) vs. a $91 million payroll (Royals).

Great atmospheres in both home ballparks.

The TV guys are hating it, very few marquee names and no Yankees. At least we'll be able to find them on TV, it seemed like the playoff games were all over the place.

I'm looking forward to a good series.

KC in 7.

I too would like to see K.C. win it all. I was at game 7 in 1985 when the Royals beat the Cardinals on that beautiful sunny Sunday afternoon. I moved from there shortly afterwards but still keep in touch with my co-workers from those days. We think us Jag fans have it tough going 7 years since a playoff appearance, try 29 years!

Regards......................the Chiefjag

Two lopsided wins so far. Not the white-knucklers I expected. On to Frisco.

Jacksonville sports radio sucks to high heaven. Game 3 of the World Series last night and the local radio stations are carrying High School Football. Unbelievable. I finally found a station in Cincinnati, Ohio which I could hear sporadically.

Regards...................the Chiefjag

Is there no internet stream, or does XM have exclusive rights? Are you using an actual radio, not a smart phone or computer? Too bad you're missing it, the great Jon Miller is handling the play-by-play..

I like the TV crew. Harold Reynolds comes up with some interesting insights.

I was running errands around town in my car, so yeah, just the radio. I believe FOX owns the radio rights as well as TV rights so I suppose Jax doesn't have a FOX radio station.

High School Football...................SMH>

Regards.........................the Chiefjag

What a fantastic series and a wonderful game 7 thus far!  The crowd in KC is ridiculous, that atmosphere must be insane to be a part of.

I have to ignore the rest of this thread as I'm an hour behind watching the recording on my DVR. I wasn't pulling for either team in particular, just wanted a good series. The games haven't been nail biters, but were still entertaining. Tonight I'm pulling for Tim Hudson, one of my favorites when he was with the Braves.

It has been a crazy series, Some blow outs and then some tight games. So far Game 7 has been very entertaining to me. Go Giants! Big Grin

Is there any chance Bumgarner is not the MVP? What a performance.
Bumgarner for sure. Amazing. So glad they got the Win Big Grin

I am glad giants won for my dads sake. I am a white sox fan. We haven't won it since 2005,so its been a while. I'm very happy for my dad. I should be, afterall he takes me to watch jags play every sunday at sports bar.

Quote:I have to ignore the rest of this thread as I'm an hour behind watching the recording on my DVR. I wasn't pulling for either team in particular, just wanted a good series. The games haven't been nail biters, but were still entertaining. Tonight I'm pulling for Tim Hudson, one of my favorites when he was with the Braves.

Hudson didn't last long, but he got a ring. I'm happy for him, he's one of the good guys.

Bumgarner was amazing. I'm old enough to remember the World Series performances of Bob Gibson, Mickey Lolich and of course Randy Johnson. Gibson pitched three complete games in 1967. Bumgarner came close, two wins and a save which in reality was a win.
I remember those World Series of Bob Gibson, Mickey Lolich, Denny McClain, Ray Washburn too. Lolich went on to own a very successful pizza chain in the Detroit area if I remember correctly.

Quote:I remember those World Series of Bob Gibson, Mickey Lolich, Denny McClain, Ray Washburn too. Lolich went on to own a very successful pizza chain in the Detroit area if I remember correctly.

And Denny McClain went on to..well..never mind...
Ray Washburn was involved in the back-to-back no-hitters in the late 60s with Gaylord Perry of the Giants. One guy pitched his, then the next day the other guy pitched his.

Yes, I recall that now. When I was young my father took me to the 1964 World Series in St. Louis. Tickets cost $5 if I remember correctly.

Oddly, I remember Ken Boyer was a Cardinal and his brother Clete Boyer was a Yankee. The Yankees were managed by Yogi Berra who was fired after the Series and his replacement was Johnny Keane who was the Cardinal's winning manager.

Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris were the stars for the Yankees and Maris finished his career in St. Louis the following seasons helping them to the '67 and '68 Series.