Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bortles and DRob Read Option
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
They were great running the read option on Sunday. You think this has to do with the fact that DRob played QB in college and he saw exactly what Blake saw on each play which allowed them to be in sync?

They have a tough task ahead of them this week with Miami but I think long term going forward, this is good news.

Quote:They were great running the read option on Sunday. You think this has to do with the fact that DRob played QB in college and he saw exactly what Blake saw on each play which allowed them to be in sync?

They have a tough task ahead of them this week with Miami but I think long term going forward, this is good news.

I don't think so; it's simply a way of keeping defenses honest, if the defensive end wants to crash hard on D-Rob Blake is athletic enough to hurt you with his feet. At adds another dimension to our offense, if we can get that going the playaction pass off of it is lethal.

Quote:I don't think so; it's simply a way of keeping defenses honest, if the defensive end wants to crash hard on D-Rob Blake is athletic enough to hurt you with his feet. At adds another dimension to our offense, if we can get that going the playaction pass off of it is lethal.
I totally agree with you but I can't help but think DRob playing QB allows him to make better decisions during his read option. Just like when some of the QBs would switch to WR, they understood route concepts and depth of routes a little better.
Quote:They were great running the read option on Sunday. You think this has to do with the fact that DRob played QB in college and he saw exactly what Blake saw on each play which allowed them to be in sync?

It worked because Drob was having a career day and Blake is a running threat.  It only works if both the QB and RB are threats to run the ball.  This is also why it works for Seattle, Miami, Dallas, Jets, Steelers, etc.  If a QB is a threat to run, then it'll work more often than not.

I still don't like it though.  I don't want the franchise QB hurt on a stupid read option where the defense gets a crack at him as a runner.
Quote:It worked because Drob was having a career day and Blake is a running threat.  It only works if both the QB and RB are threats to run the ball.  This is also why it works for Seattle, Miami, Dallas, Jets, Steelers, etc.  If a QB is a threat to run, then it'll work more often than not.

I still don't like it though.  I don't want the franchise QB hurt on a stupid read option where the defense gets a crack at him as a runner.
good thing blakey poo has that swicked spin move.