Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The irony of winning Sunday
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The first three weeks of the season, this board erupted with calls for Blake Bortles to start because Chad Henne was obviously a major reason we lost.

When we finally did win a game, it was the first time Bortles threw three interceptions and he only threw one touchdown pass. His passing yards total was 159.

So we won this game despite Bortles, not because of him. So how important was having Bortles start against the Browns? Would we have won with Henne?

I am not saying Bortles was completely irrelevant. But losing his best game and winning his worst game means we overrated the importance of the quarterback.

Winston Guy and Dwayne Gratz imo were responsible for the failures of our def, once guy was cut and gratz was demoted, our d went from giving up 35+ per game to under 20 per game. As for your question, henne had trouble getting a single first down, infact the clots game where bortles came in the 2nd half he had 7 three and outs in a row...
There's no irony, stop starting useless threads.
Quote:The first three weeks of the season, this board erupted with calls for Blake Bortles to start because Chad Henne was obviously a major reason we lost.

When we finally did win a game, it was the first time Bortles threw three interceptions and he only threw one touchdown pass. His passing yards total was 159.

So we won this game despite Bortles, not because of him. So how important was having Bortles start against the Browns? Would we have won with Henne?

I am not saying Bortles was completely irrelevant. But losing his best game and winning his worst game means we overrated the importance of the quarterback.

I think you make a reasonable point.  

That said, I did notice that Cleveland rarely stacked their defense to stop the run until pretty late in the game.  So I wonder if they game planned to stop Bortles, thus we managed to run the ball pretty well.   It's a possibility.  

But again, you make a good point that today, we won despite Bortles and not because of him.   I don't think many of us ever thought that would be a possibility, since in the first part of the season, when Bortles finally started, it seemed like he was the only one playing well. 
As mentioned before. Regardless of points and INTs. We still moved the ball all day pretty well putting Cleveland in generally bad field position. Something Henne never did.
Quote:The first three weeks of the season, this board erupted with calls for Blake Bortles to start because Chad Henne was obviously a major reason we lost.

The QB is the most important position on the team but even so, sometimes people do to place to much emphasis on that position (you can tell when people talk about QB wins and losses as if they other 21 guys didn't exist).

So let's trade bortles base on your stupid logic? lol. Stop making these threads because it seems like you're bored and looking for some attention. 
Quote:So let's trade bortles base on your stupid logic? lol. Stop making these threads because it seems like you're bored and looking for some attention. 

She made a reasonable point.   We won yesterday in spite of Bortles, not because of him, and it shows how much we overvalue the QB position sometimes.  Some of us act like all we need is a QB, and that he is the only relevant player on the field, and he's responsible for all the wins and losses.  
Quote:She made a reasonable point.   We won yesterday in spite of Bortles, not because of him, and it shows how much we overvalue the QB position sometimes.  Some of us act like all we need is a QB, and that he is the only relevant player on the field, and he's responsible for all the wins and losses.  
 Okay, then lets trade for blaine gabbert back or continue to start Chad Henne and see how many games we have a chance of winning? The QB position is the most important position on the team even if some of you feel like the position is overvalued. We can't expect the defense to be this good every game and blake has so much talent but some of you already turned on him after one bad freakin game. 
hey JW, aren't you a Cleveland fan?

The reason people wanted Blake in instead of Chad isnt soley because Blake is the better QB right now, but because Blake is the QB of the future & he needs this year and next to learn & develop into the franchise qb for the decade...

Looking long term not short like most NFL fans...

Everyone knows that Chad is only a backup *and heck a lot of backups that are far better than Chad....
Quote:Winston Guy and Dwayne Gratz imo were responsible for the failures of our def, once guy was cut and gratz was demoted, our d went from giving up 35+ per game to under 20 per game. As for your question, henne had trouble getting a single first down, infact the clots game where bortles came in the 2nd half he had 7 three and outs in a row...

From all accounts, gratz played very well yesterday.
I agree the irony was crazy.  

I think its going to be an Ironic Week for me though.  This morning I was in a traffic jam, when I was already late......then I saw a no smoking sign on my cigarette break.....then to top it all off, all I could find was 10,000 Spoons but all I really needed was a knife.  

Manning's first win came in his 5th start where he threw for 137 1 TD and 1 INT......

Blake just needs to cut it with some of those throws but that will come with time. The 3rd interception at the 5 yard line was the worst decision so far he's made. Should have just ran it.

Quote: Okay, then lets trade for blaine gabbert back or continue to start Chad Henne and see how many games we have a chance of winning? The QB position is the most important position on the team even if some of you feel like the position is overvalued. We can't expect the defense to be this good every game and blake has so much talent but some of you already turned on him after one bad freakin game. 

Jesus Christ, no one has turned on Blake and no one wants Blaine Gabbert back on the team.   Stop overreacting.  You're acting like a 12 year old.  
I think she brings up a valid point. But do you think Chad could have went down the field in that two minute drill right before half time and scored? Do you think Chad could have run the read option and pick up those crucial first downs? I think not.
Quote:Winston Guy and Dwayne Gratz imo were responsible for the failures of our def, once guy was cut and gratz was demoted, our d went from giving up 35+ per game to under 20 per game. As for your question, henne had trouble getting a single first down, infact the clots game where bortles came in the 2nd half he had 7 three and outs in a row...

True gospel. Henne does not do well in getting our defense rest. In fact, it was like Henne was playing defense for the other team.
Yup, irony can be pretty ironic sometimes

Uh, with all due respect ma'am, no; the position of quarterback isn't 'overrated' at all. Henne certainly has his strong points, but the ability to evade pursuit and keep plays alive isn't one of them. Perhaps one of... maybe even THE biggest virtue that young Blake Bortles has going for him right now is his mobility. This mobility and evasiveness keeps plays alive and contributes to allowing us to convert more third downs than we were with Henne. By converting more third downs, the offense stays on the field longer, meaning our defense gets more time to recover. Consequently, the defense is able to play with more intensity which helps keep the other team from scoring as much. You'll notice that since Bortles has come in that the trend of our defense (no, it didn't happen immediately) has been to hold opposing offenses to low scoring efforts. The positive efforts of our offense has a positive effect for our defense, and vice versa. It's a team sport....
Quote:Jesus Christ, no one has turned on Blake and no one wants Blaine Gabbert back on the team.   Stop overreacting.  You're acting like a 12 year old.  
What i'm acting like is a person who is tired of people making threads for the hell of it. 
Pages: 1 2