Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Just a reminder about firing a coach before his 3rd/4th season
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Bill Walsh -  He was 8-24 in his first two seasons as 49ers head coach. 13-3 in his 3rd.

Chuck Noll - 12-31 in his first THREE seasons as steelers head coach. 11-3 in his 4th.

Tom Landry - 18-46 in his first FIVE seasons as dallas' head coach. Didn't have a winning record till' his 7th season then lit the world on fire.

Bill Belichick - 20-28 in his first three seasons as browns coach then 11-5 the next year.

Why should you care? These guys are or will be in the hall of fame as head coaches. Some even consider this bunch to be littered in the top 5 lists of head coaches all time.

Am I saying bradley is going to join this list? No. Im saying Quit whining and knee jerking like little babies. Lets have this play out 3 full seasons before we start demanding firings.
This post while accurate will fall on deaf ears around here. So many that were seemingly aware and on board with the build are now racing their way to a frothy mouthed frenzy of knee jerking. Typically pathetic.

And I'm not sure Gus had as good a roster as those other teams. We had to start at the bottom. And we have a QB. I think Gus will get better as a coach as well as the personnel.
Can you give me a percentage of coaches that did succeed as opposed to coaches who didn't succeed after multiple losing seasons please? Giving me a few outliers does nothing.

I agree.

Quote:Can you give me a percentage of coaches that did succeed as opposed to coaches who didn't succeed after multiple losing seasons please? Giving me a few outliers does nothing.
With some research I believe you would find that firing coaches after only 2-3 years is a relatively new phenomenon. It would also probably show that teams that have revolving door at the HC position continue to suck for as long as they do so.
Quote:Bill Walsh -  He was 8-24 in his first two seasons as 49ers head coach. 13-3 in his 3rd.

Chuck Noll - 12-31 in his first THREE seasons as steelers head coach. 11-3 in his 4th.

Tom Landry - 18-46 in his first FIVE seasons as dallas' head coach. Didn't have a winning record till' his 7th season then lit the world on fire.

Bill Belichick - 20-28 in his first three seasons as browns coach then 11-5 the next year.

Why should you care? These guys are or will be in the hall of fame as head coaches. Some even consider this bunch to be littered in the top 5 lists of head coaches all time.

Am I saying bradley is going to join this list? No. Im saying Quit whining and knee jerking like little babies. Lets have this play out 3 full seasons before we start demanding firings.

I wonder how many of those head coaches were still making the kind of egregious rookie mistakes in their second years??

Most of the people calling for Bradley's head aren't doing so for the losing this year alone - its because HE has shown no signs of improving as a head coach. Given that, trying to compare him with the above coaches is hilarious. Belichick was the most recent one from your stone aged cherry picking and Belichick as an a Defensive Coordinator/ assistant coach was so much better than Bradley at the same gig its ridiculous. Bradley couldn't tie Bill Belichick's shoes. The fact that Belichick initially struggled too actually hurts your argument since he was light years better than Bradley by the time both got their first HC job to begin with. 
I do agree with you that it is pre-mature to consider firing Gus at this point but your example would not hold for the sake of arguing. There are far more many coaches who got fired and just disappeared for good. Your example maybe good for looking at firing coaches just simply based on losing records. The direction of where they are heading is far more important than the record at this point. What kind of leadership Gus brings to the organization would out-weigh his record at this point.

Quote:I wonder how many of those head coaches were still making the kind of egregious rookie mistakes in their second years??

All of them. Egregious, LOL.
Quote:With some research I believe you would find that firing coaches after only 2-3 years is a relatively new phenomenon. It would also probably show that teams that have revolving door at the HC position continue to suck for as long as they do so.

Very well put. I have to laugh when people say "well in today's NFL things are different". When it comes to rebuilding a team, it still takes time and a year and a half or two years is not enough. If we fire our coaching staff every time there is a rough patch, we'll never see any sustained growth.
Quote:With some research I believe you would find that firing coaches after only 2-3 years is a relatively new phenomenon. It would also probably show that teams that have revolving door at the HC position continue to suck for as long as they do so.

I think this needs to be quoted more. So many seem to ignore it.
Quote:Very well put. I have to laugh when people say "well in today's NFL things are different". When it comes to rebuilding a team, it still takes time and a year and a half or two years is not enough. If we fire our coaching staff every time there is a rough patch, we'll never see any sustained growth.

Again, This team could still have a bad record but show evidence/ examples of still being a well coached team. (See Tom Coughlin's coaching in years 2001-2002 as well as Jimmy Johnson in his second season in 1990). The reason why people are calling for Bradley's head isn't over "a rough patch" - its because he looks over in his head and continues to make the same type of rookie head coach mistakes over and over again. 

Quote:I wonder how many of those head coaches were still making the kind of egregious rookie mistakes in their second years??

Most of the people calling for Bradley's head aren't doing so for the losing this year alone - its because HE has shown no signs of improving as a head coach. Given that, trying to compare him with the above coaches is hilarious. Belichick was the most recent one from your stone aged cherry picking and Belichick as an a Defensive Coordinator/ assistant coach was so much better than Bradley at the same gig its ridiculous. Bradley couldn't tie Bill Belichick's shoes. The fact that Belichick initially struggled too actually hurts your argument since he was light years better than Bradley by the time both got their first HC job to begin with.
ERRONEOUS....erroneous on both accounts
Wait didn't Gus say he was a " Developmental Coach " last week on 1010 ? if this is a true statement where's the development ?

Please for gods sake stop giving high fives, clapping and or praises on blown plays.  Start doing wherever you are hired to do ! Wallbash

Go Kitty Cats

Quote:ERRONEOUS....erroneous on both accounts

lol, no it wasn't. 

Pot/kettle.

Remember that next time you bring up the 1990 Cowboys.
Chuck Noll won more games each year than the year before.  He went from 1 win to 5 wins to 6 wins.  

Bill Walsh also won more games the second year than his first year.  He went from a 2 win season to a 6 win season.

Tom Landry was regularly winning 4 or 5 games after his first year.

Belichick never had fewer than 5 wins in a season.

If Bradley can win at least 3 games this year, then I'd be okay with keeping him.  This team needs to show progress though.  But if we won 4 games last year, we should be able to win at least 3 this year.  We've added talent to the team (albeit rookie talent), so we should be better than last year.  

Quote:Wait didn't Gus say he was a " Developmental Coach " last week on 1010 ? if this is a true statement where's the development ?

Stop giving high fives, or chapping on blown plays. And please stop dancing. Start doing wherever you are hired to do ! Wallbash

Go Kitty Cats

Yep, and chest bumps last year when you were down 30, ugh....
Quote:Pot/kettle.

Remember that next time you bring up the 1990 Cowboys.

No, the stone age comment was more to the references of KNoll/ Landry not Belechick. 
Quote:Again, This team could still have a bad record but show evidence/ examples of still being a well coached team. (See Tom Coughlin's coaching in years 2001-2002 as well as Jimmy Johnson in his second season in 1990). The reason why people are calling for Bradley's head isn't over "a rough patch" - its because he looks over in his head and continues to make the same type of rookie head coach mistakes over and over again.

Chicken or the egg. Rather than making mistakes because he's over his head, people think he looks over his head because of the mistakes his team is making. Although he has certainly made a few himself and owned up to them for the most part. Mostly clock management and poor judgement on throwing the replay flag. To be fair, TC made a few of those mistakes in his day and Del Rio was notorious for it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4