Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: It's Just One Thing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Like most of you, after every loss, I am overwhelmed with feelings of pain and frustration, and I am beginning to wonder if this regime, Gus and Dave, will ever get any traction with the rebuilding process.

But after a few days' reflection, I think fixing just one thing would give us a lot of wins: the offensive line. Consider that the last two weeks we have held our opponents to 17 and 16 points. Most teams would win games where they held their opponents at that level.

Plus, our offense has been moving the ball. We just haven't been putting the ball in the end zone.

So what solves this problem? A running game. When you get down to red zone, and the passing game is constricted, it's the running game that puts the ball in the end zone. It's the running game that keeps the opposing defense honest. It's the running game that controls the clock and keeps the other team off the field. And it's the offensive line that generates the running game.

So to me, it's just the offensive line that needs to improve for us to win a bunch of games.

We're actually a lot closer to success and winning games than we realize.
On one sack Paztor whiffed on blocking a guy, but he was injured most of the entire season & just thrown back in the mix...

D-Rob (shoelace) was 4.4 avg in this game, but still weak running game I agree.  I hope storm & D-rob become a good 1/2 punch.  I think we can all agree slowby has been a disappointment.

The Oline is the worst in the league (stat wise right now)...

I'll agree with that. A running game would open up so much for this offense.

I'll add it's two things though. Running game and dropped passes. We dropped a few balls that would have led to scores recently. But it's mainly the running game.
Having some semblance of a running game would be helpful, but there are a few other issues the team needs to contend with as well. 

Both the running game and passing game would improve with a better OLine though.

Side note

Andre Branch tied at 26th in the NFL at week 6 with 3 sacks, 2ff 1 rec, 8 solo tackles.

Quote:Like most of you, after every loss, I am overwhelmed with feelings of pain and frustration, and I am beginning to wonder if this regime, Gus and Dave, will ever get any traction with the rebuilding process.

But after a few days' reflection, I think fixing just one thing would give us a lot of wins: the offensive line. Consider that the last two weeks we have held our opponents to 17 and 16 points. Most teams would win games where they held their opponents at that level.

Plus, our offense has been moving the ball. We just haven't been putting the ball in the end zone.

So what solves this problem? A running game. When you get down to red zone, and the passing game is constricted, it's the running game that puts the ball in the end zone. It's the running game that keeps the opposing defense honest. It's the running game that controls the clock and keeps the other team off the field. And it's the offensive line that generates the running game.

So to me, it's just the offensive line that needs to improve for us to win a bunch of games.

We're actually a lot closer to success and winning games than we realize.

Good post. I'll try to remember this post after each loss. I'm guilty of over reacting. I hate losing...
An offensive line improvement would definitely be a major help, no question.  We have been lamenting that for the past 7 or 8 years...

If Toddman had caught that damn ball or shorts doesn't fumble, that game is a Win.

As H8tank points out, even with the blocking we had, we had two opportunities to win this game...in that both a catch by Todman  and the lack of a fumble by Shorts puts us in field goal range...at least...and it was a two point game. However, I agree. The defense is pretty ugly (more'n a few big plays) but they have held their opponents to less than three touchdowns...which ought to be sufficient...in their last two games. Perhaps the competition...but we'll see. At any rate, a good running game ought to make our offense pretty darn good. Heck, Bortles threw for more than 300 yards with all the youth and lousy blocking.

And the odds are that each game the OL will improve...if they stay healthy. It is just the way of offensive lines...the more they play together the better they get. That just is the way it is. Especially a YOUNG offensive line. So...better days coming.

I hope.

Jim

Quote:If Toddman had caught that damn ball or shorts doesn't fumble, that game is a Win.

Easily.  As few as one play may have changed the outcome.

This young team needs to learn how to win.

At the same time... each successive loss compounds the previous.  Makes it harder even for those with high emotional IQ to handle.  It's easy to give in and miss what's really going on by taking your eye off the field.
The screens and passes behind the L.O.S. while tiresome to watch after a while were largely effective and can easily be considered an extension of the run game.  

It's a logical step when you've got guys like Shoelace and Sanders (would like to see him get on the field a little more) that need a bit of space to work their magic. 

If you add those plays to the rushing totals of Robinson and Johnson - the rushing total doesn't look so anemic. Lee, Shoelace, and Ta'ufo'ou all had contributions running the ball from a quick pass or screen.  I thought using Lee on that backfield pass they used with Sanders last year was clever.   (I'm referring to the plays other than the sideline bubble screen in which a WR tries to spring the receiver lined up adjacent and behind him.)

These plays are good for a young offense with a few twitchy/speedy guys and Bortles ability to throw downfield - even if he has to scramble to do it - makes them a bit more effective. 

I like the screen game. It may have been a tad much, but every other team uses it against us with great effect. There were a few that weren't executed very well, but for the most part they work to get those few yards on first and second down, and maybe slow the rush slightly.
Quote:The screens and passes behind the L.O.S. while tiresome to watch after a while were largely effective and can easily be considered an extension of the run game.  

It's a logical step when you've got guys like Shoelace and Sanders (would like to see him get on the field a little more) that need a bit of space to work their magic. 

If you add those plays to the rushing totals of Robinson and Johnson - the rushing total doesn't look so anemic. Lee, Shoelace, and Ta'ufo'ou all had contributions running the ball from a quick pass or screen.  I thought using Lee on that backfield pass they used with Sanders last year was clever.   (I'm referring to the plays other than the sideline bubble screen in which a WR tries to spring the receiver lined up adjacent and behind him.)

These plays are good for a young offense with a few twitchy/speedy guys and Bortles ability to throw downfield - even if he has to scramble to do it - makes them a bit more effective. 

You make some good points above. 

Denard Robinson should be utilized in space (screens) more.