Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Impressions From the Titans Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I predicted the Jaguars would get their first win sometime over the past three weeks.  Now I figured San Diego would be a tall task.  I had the sense Jacksonville actually matched up decently with Pittsburgh and we'd have the chance to win, but we didn't.  Finally, even with the game on the road, I predicted somehow we'd beat Tennessee.  As poorly as the team played for most of the game, we still had the chance to win on the next to last play of the game.  You see how that turned out. 

My thoughts

1.  At what point do we consider Joeckel to be a bust?  I understand he is still very early into his career.  I understand that for all intents and purposes, he is still in hos rookie year.  But he was abused yesterday, and guys like Jaworski and Boselli have both observed that Joeckel is struggling.  When does he start to show improvement?  The idea the Jaguars might contend in 2015 is predicated in part, at least in my mind, that Bortles would have his blind side adequately taken care of.  If Joeckel doesn't improve, we'll have to expend another high draft pick on LT.  Right now, this franchise can ill afford to spin its wheels on any more high draft picks, especially at such an important position.  He needs to step up his game.

2.  The San Diego game represented a step up for Cyprien in my mind.  He did an excellent job against Gates (save one play where he fell trying to get the bump at the line).  Although he had some hard hits yesterday, in terms of coverage, the Titans game seemed to represent a step back.  Too often, Delanie Walker was open in our secondary when he appeared to have coverage.

3.  This game showed why I like Clay Harbor.  He showed some nice speed on his first and last catch yesterday.  If he can stay healthy, he can be a weapon for Bortles.

4.  While I was glad to see Cecil Shorts back, that fumble killed us

5.  One of the frustrating things about this season is the complete inability to get any semblance of a running game going.  Last year, after the London game, it appeared the running game started showing sign of life.  This year's Jaguars seem to be the worst running attack I've ever seen.  Part of it is attributable to the youth on the OL.  Part of it is due to the RB position.  Part is due to poor QB play (Henne).  But all of it is ugly and frustrating.

6.  A 26 yard punt?!?  Really, Anger?!?  TWENTY SIX yards?!?

7.  Rookie Watch

A.  Blake Bortles-had a very good game.  At one point he was 10-11.  He attacked downfield early, and then the downfield attacks largely stopped until the second half.  He withstood a strong pass rush and 6 sacks to throw a TD to get the team within range of winning the game, then got us to within FG range.  He threw the one INT late, but it is questionable whether it was his fault.  He was even the team's leading rusher. Even though the team lost, Bortles bears little to none of the blame.

B.  Marqise Lee-finally healthy enough to play after three games missed, Lee returned with about 2-3 catches for the game.  His first catch was on a nifty play where he comes in motion almost like he was going to run an end around/reverse, reversed right behind the QB, and ran back to where he was to catch a pass in the left flat for a first down.  Perhaps they were trying to spare his hamstring, but I would have liked to see him run some deep patterns.

C.  Allen Robinson-had some catches, but nothing that really stood out.

D.  Brandon Linder-got abused for a sack-which marks the first time he really stood out in a negative way to me. 

E.  Aaron Colvin-DNP

F.  Telvin Smith-had a key tackle of McCluster in the second half that led to a Titans FG instead of a TD.

G.  Luke Bowanko-didn't see him get abused for a sack like Linder, but he was part of a line that did not get any running game going.  Not sure how much credit I can give him.

H.  Storm Johnson-Jaguars fans were hopeful that with him getting the start at RB, he would spark the running game into productivity.  No such luck.

I.  Allen Hurns-after a great start to his career, Hurns seems to have fizzled.  Last week he had three drops killing early drives.  Yesterday he had little positive impact.  He arguably bears responsibility for Bortles' pick because he slipped at the top of his route as Bortles threw the ball.  He did catch Bortles last pass to get the team into FG range, but you had the sense he could have turned it upfield and gotten another 5 or so yards and gotten closer for Scobee.

8.  Too bad Scobee got that kick blocked at the end.  That would have been the best sub ever had he made it!

9.  One of the most frustrating thing about the game was the pass rush.  The D had several pressures, including a wicked spin move Clemons put on tacks rookie Taylor Lewan.  But too often, they couldn't bring Whitehurst down.

10.  On a related note, how many yards after contact did Titans RBs have because of poor tackling?  That drove me nuts!

11.  How do you drop that bomb, Todman?!?  AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!

12.  Bottom line:  While there is the tried and true axiom of any given Sunday, it appears yesterday's game was the team's proverbial last, best chance for a win in a while.  Next up, we've got a Cleveland team that is gaining in confidence, having beaten the Saints and trounced the Steelers yesterday.  After that, we've got Miami (another possible win) and a road trip to Cincy before the London trip to face a Dallas team that has reeled off 5 wins in a row, including a win in Seattle.If we don't step things up soon, we'll be a part of the Mariota Market (as a seller...not a buyer).

Gurley is going to look great in those white unis next year.

You see flashes here and there from the young players, but when you're starting as many rookies as the Jaguars are it's hard to stop the mental mistakes and develop chemistry.  If Todman catches that ball, do we score a TD?  If Shorts doesn't fumble, do we get a TD?  

You have to think the O-line will be significantly improved next year with the unit having played together for this year, plus an entire offseason.  

Quote:You see flashes here and there from the young players, but when you're starting as many rookies as the Jaguars are it's hard to stop the mental mistakes and develop chemistry.  If Todman catches that ball, do we score a TD?  If Shorts doesn't fumble, do we get a TD?  

You have to think the O-line will be significantly improved next year with the unit having played together for this year, plus an entire offseason.  
But that's the thing.

What part of the screw ups are inexperience and what part is a lack of talent?

Let's play out a hypothetical.

Suppose we end up with the top overall pick. 

To me, the inclination would be to trade down and get a boat load of picks for Mariota.

Do we not take an OL in the draft and gamble that all of the problems with the OL are strictly experience based?

What about the secondary?

Quote:9.  One of the most frustrating thing about the game was the pass rush.  The D had several pressures, including a wicked spin move Clemons put on tacks rookie Taylor Lewan.  But too often, they couldn't bring Whitehurst down.
I disagree with this. There was constant pressure in Whitehurst's face. You can't expect them to sack him every play or every time they're in the backfield. The fact that they're there alone all game is good enough in itself. 
Good summary and thanks for putting up fan analysis.  Good to see a non-vent my spleen thread.

I think the rookies are a big problem for our Offensive Coordinator.  I do believe the coaching staff is a question mark but it is really hard to throw the sink at another team and take advantage of Bortles progress with the game plan if you are pairing it down because the rookies have demonstrated they are struggling.

I think the early wide open attack plan followed by conservative play is to help limit exposing the paired down play book.

For a fan, patience is tough.

An excellent top-to-bottom coaching staff would only get about 6-7 wins out of this roster.

We dont have that. We have an average, maybe even a slightly below average coaching staff (because our head coach is only in his 2nd yr). That's why we have a goose egg
Quote:Gurley is going to look great in those white unis next year.

I don't know much about Gurley, but can they get him at the bottom of the 1st at the highest?  If not, no thanks.  
13. When Red Bryant steamrolled half the Titans line by himself and broke up the play in the backfield made me smile.

Quote:But that's the thing.

What part of the screw ups are inexperience and what part is a lack of talent?

Let's play out a hypothetical.

Suppose we end up with the top overall pick. 

To me, the inclination would be to trade down and get a boat load of picks for Mariota.

Do we not take an OL in the draft and gamble that all of the problems with the OL are strictly experience based?

What about the secondary?

that's the million dollar question.

Personally, I think the only rookies we can "count" on are  Bortles, Robinson, Lee, and Linder.  I know Lee hasn't done much but he was a high 2nd round pick which tells me they will count and depend on him whether he performs or not.

I'm not sold on Bowanko nor Allen Hurns.

I would continue to play them and hopefully they all develop into something.  

In next year's draft, I would continue to look at offensive lineman - at all of the positions.  I wouldn't mind adding a road grader like Tre Jackson from FSU for example.

Literally the only position I would skip in the 1st round next year would be QB.  (in the top 5).....

Outside the top 5 or 10 (in case we trade down), I would be open for any player that we feel is a legit superstar in the making, from LT to RT, C, G, RB, DE, MLB, OLB, CB, FS, etc etc etc
A.  Blake Bortles-had a very good game.  At one point he was 10-11.  He attacked downfield early, and then the downfield attacks largely stopped until the second half.  He withstood a strong pass rush and 6 sacks to throw a TD to get the team within range of winning the game, then got us to within FG range.  He threw the one INT late, but it is questionable whether it was his fault.  He was even the team's leading rusher. Even though the team lost, Bortles bears little to none of the blame.

“It should have been an easy play,” Harbor said. “I did like a half-jump. That’s on me. He put the ball in a perfect spot. If I don’t stumble, I catch the ball and I’m out of bounds at the 10 – the interception never happens. It’s little things like that. When we start cleaning stuff like that up I really think we’re going to get points on these drives that we’re turning the ball over on and stalling out late on."

Quote:that's the million dollar question.

Personally, I think the only rookies we can "count" on are  Bortles, Robinson, Lee, and Linder.  I know Lee hasn't done much but he was a high 2nd round pick which tells me they will count and depend on him whether he performs or not.

I'm not sold on Bowanko nor Allen Hurns.

I would continue to play them and hopefully they all develop into something.  

In next year's draft, I would continue to look at offensive lineman - at all of the positions.  I wouldn't mind adding a road grader like Tre Jackson from FSU for example.

Literally the only position I would skip in the 1st round next year would be QB.  (in the top 5).....

Outside the top 5 or 10 (in case we trade down), I would be open for any player that we feel is a legit superstar in the making, from LT to RT, C, G, RB, DE, MLB, OLB, CB, FS, etc etc etc

I would skip QB and WR in the first round.
Quote:I would skip QB and WR in the first round.

Yeah I was considering adding WR to my list... But in reality, the only guys we know will be there next year are Lee and ARob.

Shorts might be gone.

If we trade back and a very good receiver is available (let's say we trade back and Amari Cooper is still on the board) I wouldn't dislike them taking him.
Quote:A.  Blake Bortles-had a very good game.  At one point he was 10-11.  He attacked downfield early, and then the downfield attacks largely stopped until the second half.  He withstood a strong pass rush and 6 sacks to throw a TD to get the team within range of winning the game, then got us to within FG range.  He threw the one INT late, but it is questionable whether it was his fault.  He was even the team's leading rusher. Even though the team lost, Bortles bears little to none of the blame.

“It should have been an easy play,” Harbor said. “I did like a half-jump. That’s on me. He put the ball in a perfect spot. If I don’t stumble, I catch the ball and I’m out of bounds at the 10 – the interception never happens. It’s little things like that. When we start cleaning stuff like that up I really think we’re going to get points on these drives that we’re turning the ball over on and stalling out late on."

I saw this later after I posted. Interesting to consider what Bortles' numbers would have been with Harbor running that route properly and Todman catching that bomb.
Quote:

I disagree with this. There was constant pressure in Whitehurst's face. You can't expect them to sack him every play or every time they're in the backfield. The fact that they're there alone all game is good enough in itself.

I see your point. I just saw the d line get pressure and hands on him. He held the ball, seemingly closed his eyes, spun and escaped. If he were getting rid of the ball quickly, that would be one thing.

But what was a good performance by the pass rush could have been a dominant one.

By the way, was anyone else underwhelmed by tacks guard Chance Warmack?
Quote:13. When Red Bryant steamrolled half the Titans line by himself and broke up the play in the backfield made me smile.

That was a beautiful play...and I am remiss for leaving it out.

Good catch.
Quote:I saw this later after I posted. Interesting to consider what Bortles' numbers would have been with Harbor running that route properly and Todman catching that bomb.
Bortles is getting more and more comfortable with each game.  By the end of the season he will look like a seasoned vet.
In reference to Luke, I think the 3 year rule must apply hear. Hopefully he makes strides but he does not seem to be the guy we hoped for him to be. Maybe he will put it together going forward and will turn the corner next year.