Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: How good IS Bortles?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
One of the Steves... today, said something to the effect of "Bortles is playing better than ANY rookie QB that I can remember" (paraphrased)

I agree with this... and its a HELL of a statement.

There is hope... there is plenty of hope..

All we need is an upright coach.

While I agree that Bortles is playing well and coaching is a huge issue, I wouldn't say that Bortles is playing better than any rookie QB that I can remember. Thats a bit steep. Russell Wilson of only a few years ago was playing better, IMO. 

Bortles has only thrown 4 total TD passes in 4 appearances. Thats pedestrian. 

Probably Tasker because before the game he had high praise for Bortles.

I don't remember hearing something like that but one guy invoked a Roethlisberger comparison early in the game.

But u have to agree... short of some silly rookie mistakes, some unlucky drops, some bad route running and a burning desire to make something from nothing he IS exciting, he DOES show a certain confidence, he's a guy u can look at and say.. he really could be something very special.

He's got gravitas...IMO.

Quote:While I agree that Bortles is playing well and coaching is a huge issue, I wouldn't say that Bortles is playing better than any rookie QB that I can remember. Thats a bit steep. Russell Wilson of only a few years ago was playing better, IMO. 

Luck. 
Quote:While I agree that Bortles is playing well and coaching is a huge issue, I wouldn't say that Bortles is playing better than any rookie QB that I can remember. Thats a bit steep. Russell Wilson of only a few years ago was playing better, IMO. 

Of course that is not all his fault. Penalties and drops need to be cleaned up so we can have more long drives end with touchdowns instead of field goals.

Imagine if Bortles had a competent o-line, competent receivers, competent offensive coordinator, and competent running back though.
Quote:Imagine if Bortles had a competent o-line, competent receivers, competent offensive coordinator, and competent running back though.

I have no problem with Bortles. I'm a fan of his. I'm just trying to give some realism here. I also don't think the WR are the issue you do. 
Quote:Imagine if Bortles had a competent o-line, competent receivers, competent offensive coordinator, and competent running back though.Scar
Scary good..... I think
Quote:I have no problem with Bortles. I'm a fan of his. I'm just trying to give some realism here. I also don't think the WR are the issue you do. 
And I'm just saying his numbers are so pedestrian in part because he has so much going against him.  The WR's will eventually be fine, but they're still rookies.  The only veteran is Shorts, who hasn't been available much.

Good enough. Championship.

I think a problem might be that Bortles doesn't have " that guy " that he can throw it to in key situations. Andrew Luck has Reggie Wayne, and Peyton Manning always had Dallas Clark. Having that consistent guy to help him out would be great. Robinson, Lee, Hurns, Cecil (if he can stay healthy) and Blackmon would be the best receiving core in the league if they developed correctly. We need to get Julius Thomas in the off-season if possible.

Stick Luck or Wilson in our useless team and they wouldn't do any better.

Call me a homer but Bortles looks a cut above
Quote:Stick Luck or Wilson in our useless team and they wouldn't do any better.

Call me a homer but Bortles looks a cut above
Exactly... and as bad as it looks right now.. some good coaching moves, some good game time with our current stable of WR's and I think we may JUST be something..... Next year.
Quote:I have no problem with Bortles. I'm a fan of his. I'm just trying to give some realism here. I also don't think the WR are the issue you do.
The receivers are an issue. If they're not getting even close to open they're dropping passes or running into each other on bad routes. The man is throwing to nothing you can depend on at the moment and that sucks. He has a better rapport with the fb than some of these guys who get paid to solely catch the ball. I said all that without even getting on the line in front of him. Pathetic.
Quote:The receivers are an issue. If they're not getting even close to open they're dropping passes or running into each other on bad routes. The man is throwing to nothing you can depend on at the moment and that sucks. He has a better rapport with the fb than some of these guys who get paid to solely catch the ball. I said all that without even getting on the line in front of him. Pathetic.

Hey now, one of the drops was by a running back. And the fullback is not really catching a lot of passes either - he just never drops them.
I do remember hearing this late in the game. I think it might have been during or after the 2nd TD drive. Its arguable he is, he reminds me of Luck during his rookie yr. Wilson was really good but give Blake that line/rb/def and I think he does better.
Bortles looks a lot more accurate than Luck to me
Quote:Bortles looks a lot more accurate than Luck to me
and not near as scruffy \ Amish

+1
Bortles is going to have that gun slinger style. He is going to cost us some games due to over aggressiveness but he is going to win many more. Seriously..just praying Blackmon comes back with his head on straight.
Pages: 1 2 3 4