Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bortles is getting neutered by the play calling. But is it Fisch's fault?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The bortles we saw in the preseason and even in the half against Indianapolis is far different than the Bortles we've seen last two weeks. Why? I believe its simply the dink and dung playcalling. We had the same O-line and the same RB crew as we did in those two instances.So why isn't Fisch letting Bortles sling it all over the place? Its obvious opposing coordinators are being told to sit on routes. Could it be the O-line really is more inept than we think? So much so that holding a pocket long enough for WR's to get 20 yards down the field is not in the cards? How about the rookie mistakes the receivers are making?

Bingo. I do believe that is the culprit. Our Rookie receivers are being challenged and Fisch doesn't have complete faith in them to run a 20 yard route every down much less make the contested catches thats required. So at this point, We have to choose our death. Death by dinking or Death by mass incompletions downfield?

So before we all jump on Fisch and Bortles, Lets all take a step back and accept the fact that our rookie WR's and the journeymen we have at O-line isn't helping either of them very much.

we are a west coast offense... so, the dink and dunk should be no surprise.  That's why I didn't like this choice for offensive scheme in the first place

I do feel that Fisch's play calling has been poor at times.  I mean you have to establish a run before you continue to call play action for one.  The O-Line is bad one of the worst in the league, is that due to talent, poor coaching, or all of the above?  The fact is Bortles is making the Oline look better, its not that theyve suddenly improved.

He should throw it deep to hurns and ace more against the titans... the defense has to fear the deep pass in order for our weak running game to do well..

Jedd Fisch is nothing to brag about. 

That screen pass where they fake it to one side then throw it back to the other just flat out stinks.  I don't think it has ever worked, but the fischer king keeps running the damn thing. 

It is time to go back to the drawing board, because this dude can't make an offensive game plan to save his life. 

Bortles, Hurns, and Robinson are now playing against the #1 defense.  In preseason they were going against the opponents #2 defense which made things easier.

Also, opponents now scout the Jags whereas in preseason you don't study film of the opposing QBs

Babich and Fisch both need to be upgraded. Hopefully we see new blood on both sides this offseason but I fear at least Fisch will have another chance. Both haven't coached their side of the ball at an appropriate level. At times both sides of the ball are a total embarrassment. Change is needed.
Let's look at the week 5 NFL QB Leaders

Philip Rivers 165 attempts, 70.3% comp., 12 Tds, 2 ints, sacked 8 times, 116.3 Rating

Aaron Rodgers 147 attempts, 66.7 % comp, 12tds, 1 int, sacked 12 times, 114.8 Rating

Peyton Manning 158 attempts, 66.5% comp, 12tds, 3 ints, sacked 4 times, 109 Rating

Big Ben 177 attempts, 68.9% comp, 7tds, 2 ints, sacked 15tims, 100 rating

Blake Bortles 97 attempts, 67% comp, 3tds, 6 ints, sacked 5 times, 71 rating... (he's only had 2 games starting not 5)...

If you take away a few of those interceptions which couldve been caught by better WRs and his rating would go right up.... to be fair at least half (3) were his fault...

The O-Line has improved in the last couple of weeks. Brandon Linder is now the 11th rated OG by PFF, and Beadles is firmly in the top half as well. Joekel had one of his best games, Bowanko and Paz also turned in decent performances against the Steelers. According to the site, BB5 was only pressured 7 times. While the run blocking hasn't been good, that too has improved a bit. With all that said, I don't think the OL is to blame for the lack of aggression in the passing game these last couple of games.

I think teams are doing a good job in coverage. They aren't loading the box to protect against the run - they're dropping more players into coverage roles.

From today's Ask Vic, on packers.com:

Quote:<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Arial Regular', Arial, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(248,248,248);">Adam from Sandown, NH

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Arial Regular', Arial, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(248,248,248);">Glad to see you’re still doing the “Ask Vic” column all these years. I was a big fan when you wrote for the Jags and miss your dry humor. So I ask you about your old team: What are your thoughts on Blake Bortles?

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Arial Regular', Arial, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(248,248,248);"><b>Where’s the deep ball? I only saw one and it was flat and intercepted. That’s why the field shrunk on him. He has all of the other tools. He sees the field, is courageous in the pocket, mobile, instinctive, exciting, durable and accurate in a short area. He needs to hit the deep ball. When he does, the field will open up for him.</b>

You draft a big [BLEEP] pocket passer with a strong arm to play west coast offense.... Okay.

West coast uses versatile RB play too... So natuarally we signed Toby.
Quote:Jedd Fisch is nothing to brag about.

That screen pass where they fake it to one side then throw it back to the other just flat out stinks. I don't think it has ever worked, but the fischer king keeps running the damn thing.

It is time to go back to the drawing board, because this dude can't make an offensive game plan to save his life.

I have to agree with you. It's sad when fans know what play to call in certain situations more than him. Like 4th and 1, we know he'll run slowby up the middle when we all know PA would work best.
Quote:I think teams are doing a good job in coverage. They aren't loading the box to protect against the run - they're dropping more players into coverage roles.

If this is indeed the case, that's all the more reason to do whatever it takes to get the running game going.

Our line may not be the best run blocking line we've ever seen in Jax, but they've got to find a way to manufacture a respectable rushing attack. I shudder to think what MoJo (in his prime) would've done NOT having to face loaded boxes every down. Gerhart ran well spelling AP in Minnesota, but it seems that he's simply too tentative when he takes the hand off...like he's not sure where he should go. There also, more often than not, seems to be one of our offensive linemen in his "way" wherever he finally decides to run (to me, anyway). My question there is: "What causes that and how do we make it go away?"

A few games from him like he ran against Baltimore last year in the snow and our offense would look much, much better as a whole (once again, imo).
Quote:You draft a big [BAD WORD REMOVED] pocket passer with a strong arm to play west coast offense.... Okay.

West coast uses versatile RB play too... So natuarally we signed Toby.

Scheme before team?
Quote:The bortles we saw in the preseason and even in the half against Indianapolis is far different than the Bortles we've seen last two weeks. Why? I believe its simply the dink and dung playcalling. We had the same O-line and the same RB crew as we did in those two instances.So why isn't Fisch letting Bortles sling it all over the place? Its obvious opposing coordinators are being told to sit on routes. Could it be the O-line really is more inept than we think? So much so that holding a pocket long enough for WR's to get 20 yards down the field is not in the cards? How about the rookie mistakes the receivers are making?

Bingo. I do believe that is the culprit. Our Rookie receivers are being challenged and Fisch doesn't have complete faith in them to run a 20 yard route every down much less make the contested catches thats required. So at this point, We have to choose our death. Death by dinking or Death by mass incompletions downfield?

So before we all jump on Fisch and Bortles, Lets all take a step back and accept the fact that our rookie WR's and the journeymen we have at O-line isn't helping either of them very much.

Uh.. 2 starting Olinemen are rookies.  Another is in his first real season starting at LT after a redshirt injury rookie season.  Journeymen isn't really what I'd use to describe them.
Why does it look different than preseason. I'd go with the simplest explanation:

DCs are game planning for a rookie QB throwing to rookie WRs.
Quote:I do feel that Fisch's play calling has been poor at times. I mean you have to establish a run before you continue to call play action for one. The O-Line is bad one of the worst in the league, is that due to talent, poor coaching, or all of the above? The fact is Bortles is making the Oline look better, its not that theyve suddenly improved.

He should throw it deep to hurns and ace more against the titans... the defense has to fear the deep pass in order for our weak running game to do well..

It's not that simple. It is a two way street. A strong run makes them stack the box, opening up the passing game, while a strong passing game makes them back out of the box, allowing us to run.

The solution is having both.