Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Is it too easy to play in Jacksonville?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A discussion we were having in the office a little bit ago.

Is it too easy to play football in Jacksonville?

In terms of pressure from fans, Jacksonville has to be the easiest environment to play in. This morning I am listening to the radio and we hear people saying that at least the game was close, we only lost be 8. We lost bro. Lost. We have a GM/Coach that are 4-21 in two years and might have the worst offense and defense in the league. The owner is 6-35 in three years. These numbers are historically bad. If this was almost any other NFL city, the pressure would be on all three. Constantly. In Jacksonville, nah. It's gettin' better. I mean we only lost by 8 and we have a lot of rookie so we need to give the guys a break. Don't be so hard on them.

And in terms of media pressure, Jacksonville also has to be the easiest environment to play in. And that is probably not even close. Jacksonville is the only market in the NFL where they are the only pro sports team aside from Green Bay. So every media member in Jacksonville wants to cover the team. They also don't want to be critical of the team and risk losing access to members of the franchise. It's not like that in any other NFL city. If you are a writer in Houston, you can cover the Astros or Rockets. In Chicago, you have two MLB teams, NBA, NHL. There are at least one or two other franchises in other cities. In some markets the pro sports franchises have to fight to get noticed so fielding a competitive team is crucial to even get local coverage. All the Jaguars have to do is show up. And some of their biggest cheerleaders are the media in the this town. They are basically an echo chamber for the team.

It should not be a surprise that veterans like Hugh Douglas and Aaron consider this a paid vacation because it is. It's easy money. Show up, collect millions, get beat up for three hours a week and go home in your Bentley or Benz.  Who wouldn't want that? Also not surprising that we see guys around the league who flunked out of Jacksonville find success elsewhere. Knighton, Nelson, Monroe, Durant, Selvie, Mosley, Mathis, Weatherford, Forsett, Boykin, Connelly, Daryl Smith. I could keep going if you'd like. Jacksonville is basically the NBDL.

What do you want us to do?  Burn down the stadium?

Also, 1010xl is anything but a homer station.  They basically second guess everything that the team is doing.

It is going to take a long time to change that culture and perception. 5 wins a year against ham sandwich teams isn't going to do it.

Oh nos the sky is falling... :teehee:

I do not thinking that playing in Jacksonville is easier than the rest of the NFL teams, its hot, I mean really HOT!  Blush  H O T, Hotty hot, HOT

If the easy to play for Jacksonville thing was true it would have more to do with upper mgmt than it would the media or fan base in things you had mentioned & the owner stated two years ago that wouldnt fly under his watch.

Quote:What do you want us to do?  Burn down the stadium?

Also, 1010xl is anything but a homer station.  They basically second guess everything that the team is doing.

Are you joking? Dan Hicken might as well be doing PR for the Jaguars.

It's actually pretty smart what the team has done with 1010XL. They have silenced the one real sports radio station in town. Frangie, Ballou, Dempsey, Hacker and T-Wigg are essentially employees of the team.

All one needs to do is look back in history to realize that the fans will be screaming in full force if the GM can put a winning team on the field.

The days of coming to work on Monday with no voice in the Stroud/Henderson era seem to be so distant in the past.

Quote:It is going to take a long time to change that culture and perception. 5 wins a year against ham sandwich teams isn't going to do it.

I don't even think we can get 5. It's looking like we are bottom dwellers for the foreseeable future. It's rather frustrating.
Coughlin is a good coach, one of the franchise's biggest mistakes was letting him go

Quote:Are you joking? Dan Hicken might as well be doing PR for the Jaguars.

no, there is more than just one guy on the station

they don't sugar coat it.  They aren't like John Oesher.  They question the front office and coaching ALL THE TIME.  Pay attention.

Quote:I don't even think we can get 5. It's looking like we are bottom dwellers for the foreseeable future. It's rather frustrating.
At least the team will have a great chance at getting a great DB in the 1st & Center in the 2nd.
Quote:At least the team will have a great chance at getting a great DB in the 1st & Center in the 2nd.

I see what you're saying, but it seems like we draft these "studs" and it doesn't change anything around here. New people same result.