Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Impressions from the Steelers Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Initially, a couple of thoughts about the ubiquitous Steelers fan base. Most times when people say the Steelers fans took over our stadium, it's vastly overblown. Not so today. For the first time in 20 seasons, I got the sense we were the road team in our own stadium. I hope one day we will win enough games and attract enough fans such that will never happen again. Secondly, I'm not sure if it was because we were winless going into the game or what, but I was surrounded by Steelers fans, but the ones near me were not nearly the troglodytes we have grown accustomed to seeing from Steelers fans. There were a couple of stupid drunks in front of me who warned me they would be obnoxious, but they wound up moving up a couple of rows. Seemingly everyone else were middle age or older, or kids. All were respectful and courteous.

As far as the action goes...

1. Good job by the defense keeping us in the game. There were not the blatant mental errors that left so many opposing receivers running alone in our secondary. There were maybe a couple. I think the bigger culprit was the lack of a playmaker on the defense. There was a 3rd and about 3 in the 3rd quarter that epitomizes this. Big Ben took a 3 step drop and threw deep down the left side to a WR and Will Blackmon was in perfect position to make a play and couldn't make it. He didn't turn around to see the ball. He didn't knock the ball out of the receiver's hands. The Steelers were able to flip the field on that critical play. Lest anyone think I am picking on Blackmon, there were smaller instances-mostly in the run defense-where we seemingly had the RBs stopped for a loss or minimal gain, only for the back to turn it into a larger gain. Hopefully, the comparative lack of blown coverages remains constant for the rest of the season and this represents progress. The next step for this defense would come in the form of making a play.

2. Hopefully Poz is okay, but that sure didn't look good. Unfortunate, especially considering I thought Poz had a good game.

3. Good to see Ace Sanders back, but I wonder if his seeming ineffectiveness on returns was a function of rust, good coverage by the Steelers' special teams, or some combination of the two.

4. Rookie Watch: This will be a long one because six rookies started on offense.

A. Blake Bortles-Thus far, it seems Bortles is good for two picks a game. It seems like one pick is an "okay" pick, where he throws downfield where there is single coverage, he relies on the receiver to make a play or at least stop the DB from picking off the ball. This happened again today. The other pick is almost the stereotypical "oh my God what is he thinking" type of rookie pass, and he had one of those today that was returned for a TD. There was also that botched shotgun snap (I didn't fully see what happened) that took the team out of a favorable down and distance into a 3rd and 10. Nevertheless, there were some good things he showed. He showed the ability to climb the pocket on a few plays. He showed some pretty decent accuracy on some throws. There were plays where he checked out of a play and audibled into something else when he didn't like what the defense showed. When he eliminates the second category of interceptions is when he will make his next progression upward.

B. Marqise Lee-Did not play.

C. Allen Robinson-Had a pretty decent day, although once again was in a play downfield where he lost a jump ball to a DB that resulted in an INT. Right now, of the three rookie receivers, he seems to be the most reliable.

D. Brandon Linder-Didn't really stand out in a negative way, but my view may change when I watch the game.

E. Aaron Colvin-DNP

F. Telvin Smith-Played and I think I saw him in on a tackle or two, but did not make any plays.

G. Chris Smith-DNP

H. Luke Bowanko-Did not stand out in a negative way like Widell would against Joel Steed. In fact, he impressed my quite a bit with his athleticism on the screen pass to Gerhart, as he was down field blocking ahead of him.

I. Storm Johnson-got his first playing time of the year and had a couple of impressive runs. In fact, with his limited playing time, I got the sense he should be the starter at RB.

J. Allen Hurns-Watching him today, I think I figured out why he fell in the draft: his hands are unreliable. The first three times Bortles targeted him, he dropped catchable balls that would have resulted in first downs. Combine that with the drop in Washington and the near drop last week against the Chargers. I know he is young, and I know he has potential, but if this offense is going to progress, he has to be more consistent.

5. Back to the defense for a second, I think the D-Line showed several instances of hustle. Two plays that stood out to me: DT Roy Miller ran wide to the right side to tackle a runner and Branch recovering the fumble against Roethlisberger.

6. I am tired of seeing bubble screens.

7. I think despite the Steelers' reputation for being able to rush the passer, I think the OL did a fairly decent job handling the blitzes today.

8. Nice job, Scobee and Anger.

9. Bottom line: A week or so ago-right before the Chargers game- I predicted the Jaguars would win within the next 3 games. The team went toe to toe with the Bolts in the first half before folding in the second half. The team actually seemed to play defense against the Steelers and played the most competitive game of the year. Even though the team lacks playmakers and the team remains winless, I still see some improvement. Next week, whether it's Locker or Whitehurst, we will be playing against a QB who is at least a step down from Foles, Luck, Rivers and Roethlisberger. Though I think it will be a tough game for us, I think once again, we get our first win of the season against the tacks.
Chris Smith?  I thought we cut him.

Quote:Chris Smith?  I thought we cut him.
Didn't we re-sign him back to the practice squad?
Addendum to the Bortles analysis:  I thought he handled the two minute drill right before half quite well.

I agree on the Steelers fans. When they screamed after a bad play like the pick six, I thought they could not be much louder than that at Heinz Field. Terrible Towels should be banned.

Ace Sanders had nowhere to run except east and west on at least one of his returns, so that was more about the punt coverage team than him being gone four weeks.

Quote:Didn't we re-sign him back to the practice squad?

Yes we did.
The Steelers fans around is lived in Fernandina Beach and Sarasota, lol. They are like [BLEEP] roaches in the nation.
Reasonable as always, nice recap.  I agree that one of the picks the last few games has been the boneheaded type.  That pump fake to freeze the play was very impressive.

A)  I realized that some of our fans need some perspective in their lives.  If you are still mad about the loss of a football game more than 10 minutes after the game ends you need to re-evaluate a few things.

B )  O-line looking better...not great...but better

C)  D had no major implosions today.

D)  Bortles looked calm even though Steelers were trying to rattle him at the line

E)  Polamalu looks old

A friend of mine gave my wife and I a pair of free tickets compliments of the Rooneys. I just wish I could have let him know somehow that a couple of Jags fans were attending the game on his dime. That being said; if I was still a season ticket holder and the fans around me sold their tickets to Steeler fans... Exlax brownies might be in order.
I know there were a lot of Steeler fans, but what makes it worse is that towel.

It makes them stand our more and look like there's more of them.

I think there were 20-25k steelers there... 

Quote:The Steelers fans around is lived in Fernandina Beach and Sarasota, lol. They are like [BAD WORD REMOVED] roaches in the nation.

Dude, there's a place in Fernandina called "The Surf", the squeeler fans there were ridonkulous back when I lived there.  Couldn't handle going there on Sundays.

Oh and the gator fans that I met there were also rather insufferable.
Quote:Reasonable as always, nice recap.  I agree that one of the picks the last few games has been the boneheaded type.  That pump fake to freeze the play was very impressive.

Thanks.

I wonder if frustration or impatience is causing some of those picks.
Too many missed tackles first and foremost. I thought I saw Mathis out there for a second. Darn few if any real sticks..we need to learn how to HIT SOMEBODY.

Overall though, the D was noticeably improved. Great job on the forced fumble at a big-time moment. The front four did pretty well.

I like Cyp well enough, but he's got a long way to go to find that Pro bowl we all hoped for.

The loss goes on Bortles and Hurns I'd say. Hurns' drops were backbreakers. Bortles' pick six immediately following the FF and recovery just let all the air out. He's lucky there weren't two of them as often as he threw the out to the sideline.

Ace Sanders made a difference, but the muff could have cost the game too, he was lucky.

Todman had a good game I thought.

O-line seemed improved, again.

Did the TE drop a key pass too?

Lots of areas to work on, that's certain.

I'm disappointed.., it was the Steelers, I wanted to win this one bad.
Quote:Thanks.

I wonder if frustration or impatience is causing some of those picks.

Absolutely it is causing the picks.  He played a good game and is aware of how much time is left.  He was pushing to make a play.  The defense was playing okay so the best bet there is to throw it away and live for another play.  That is something that takes time.  He is a gambler and not a game manager.

Honestly he held up the throw on the pick 6 because he didn't react fast enough.  If you are looking to thread the needle and push the ball, you have to zip it or place it high towards the sideline.  That is something that takes time to develop.

Despite the antsy naysaying...  he is really ahead on his development.  How many times did we see our QBs go with the called play and run the back into a stacked box?  He is reacting and changing the play and calling out adjustments.  In his second game of the rookie season.  I didn't expect him to be this far along.  I figured he was a bigger project.  His hard work has moved him this far ahead.

Time to watch, comment some on the Message Boards and wait on the future.

EDIT:

And it was going up against Dick Lebeau's defense.  I mean sure this isn't the Steal Curtain defense or even some of the outstanding play from their last superbowl run but it is the heart of their team.

Imagine how many diseases those towels are carrying. I have cleaner towels on my golf bag and they haven't been washed in a year.

Quote:I know there were a lot of Steeler fans, but what makes it worse is that towel.

It makes them stand our more and look like there's more of them.

I think there were 20-25k steelers there... 

Like I said earlier Terrible Towels should be on the prohibited items list at EverBank Field. That is the last thing we need in a pool that was built for season ticket holders.

But really even without towels, the yellow on their team attire would have stood out.
I like this recap note from cbs sports site http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker...05_PIT@JAC

"Making his first start at home, Bortles completed 22 of 36 passes for 191 yards. He was hampered by several dropped passes - including three by Hurns - and a handful of untimely penalties. But Bortles' second interception was the biggest mistake.  ''Bad read, bad throw,'' Bortles said.

<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(17,17,17);font-family:'proxima-nova', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">Hurns dropped passes on three of Jacksonville's first four possessions. He also was flagged for offensive holding."

<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(17,17,17);font-family:'proxima-nova', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;"> 

<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(17,17,17);font-family:'proxima-nova', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">The recognition is there for Bortles and we will get to watch him build on it.  I feel like I'm watching a real QB for the first time in 7 plus years.  It is exciting.  Come on and get excited Big Grin

I have been excited since halftime of the Colts game. Unlike other board members, I am trying to not get frustrated with him because I know he is just a rookie playing with rookies.

Quote:I have been excited since halftime of the Colts game. Unlike other board members, I am trying to not get frustrated with him because I know he is just a rookie playing with rookies.

exactly Big Grin