Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Congress is looking to take away the NFL's tax-exempt status if the Redskins don't change their name
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdo...37825.html

This is ridiculous on the part of the Government. This has gotten completely out of control now. 

And the most ridiculous thing is the idea of the NFL being not-for-profit.

Quote:And the most ridiculous thing is the idea of the NFL being not-for-profit.
Agreed. However, they should take it away on that basis alone. Not because a few outspoken radicals have their panties in a wad over a name that has been attached to a team for decades.

Quote:And the most ridiculous thing is the idea of the NFL being not-for-profit.
Just wait until FBT sees this thread.
You're confusing what the term non-for-profit means. It simply means the NFL as a league doesn't carry a positive balance at the end of the fiscal year, they distribute all of the income generated to the 32 league owners where the money is then taxed. 

I've had this discussion on here before, the NFL being "non-for-profit" is just the legal way of saying the revenue is taxed at the franchise level not the corporate level.

Quote:You're confusing what the term non-for-profit means. It simply means the NFL as a league doesn't carry a positive balance at the end of the fiscal year, they distribute all of the income generated to the 32 league owners where the money is then taxed. 

I've had this discussion on here before, the NFL being "non-for-profit" is just the legal way of saying the revenue is taxed at the franchise level not the corporate level.
Non-Profit, Independent, Private, Public, those words mean nothing to the Federal Government. Just take a look back at the Hobby-Lobby case back in July. The very fact that, that case was decided on a 5-4 vote is deeply unsettling. The Government has no right or even the constitutional authority to force a private company (that holds Christian values), to provide birth control coverage to their employees on the basis of Religious grounds.

It's starting to become crystal clear to me, that the Redskins naming issue doesn't have as much to do with prejudice, as it does with the Government wanting to find other sources of revenue (taxes) in order to fund their outrageously expensive programs. If that's the case, I'll probably never attend another NFL game again with the skyrocketing tickets, food, and merchandising prices that will have to be raised in order to makeup for the shortfall.

All in all, it will be a lose-lose situation for everyone.