Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Georgia Man Fired In California Due To Southern Accent
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Georgia Man Fired In California Due To Southern Accent

According to recent reports, 36-year-old Georgian Dennis Townsen was recently fired from his job at the New Though Textile Institute (NTTI) in California for what is being called discriminatory and unlawful reasons.

http://americannews.com/outrage-georgia-...rn-accent/

Wait.  This is the most tolerant state on the planet we're talking about, right?

Maybe if he was an illegal alien with a southern accent, they'd be more welcoming?

Oh, wait.  The manager who was harassing him was a big supporter of "The One."  That explains the lack of tolerance. 

Quote:Georgia Man Fired In California Due To Southern Accent

According to recent reports, 36-year-old Georgian Dennis Townsen was recently fired from his job at the New Though Textile Institute (NTTI) in California for what is being called discriminatory and unlawful reasons.

That link seems to just go to a headline and some comments.

What is his proof that he was fired for that reason? Is that what it said on his pink slip?
[Image: dont_believe_you_anchorman.gif]
Quote:That link seems to just go to a headline and some comments.

What is his proof that he was fired for that reason? Is that what it said on his pink slip?
Gee, it's almost like a site with the name American News has a perceived point of view to adhere to and is only willing to listen to the side of the story that reinforces said point of view. 
Quote:Gee, it's almost like a site with the name American News has a perceived point of view to adhere to and is only willing to listen to the side of the story that reinforces said point of view. 

It's not that I don't think it could happen, especially if his job involved talking to people on the phone and his accent is very bad, but in a case like that I'd hope they wouldn't even hire him to start with, though I'd find it quite reasonable to lay someone off because they simple can't fulfill the requirements of their job.

However, the complete lack of anything other than a headline makes it seem more like sensationalism.
Quote:Georgia Man Fired In California Due To Southern Accent

Congratulations.  You have fallen for a satirical website.  

http://realorsatire.com/americannews-com/

http://lincolnreport.com/archives/118614

Haha, I could tell you in a flat second that wasn't real. Half of Ca doesn't even speak English, and this guys is going to be fired for a Southern accent?

Quote:Haha, I could tell you in a flat second that wasn't real. Half of Ca doesn't even speak English, and this guys is going to be fired for a Southern accent?

At least according to lincolnreport.com, Americannews is set up to discredit right wing news organizations by feeding these stories into the internet where they will be picked up by lots of other right wing news outlets, and when the stories are discredited, those other right wing news outlets will also be discredited.   This story has already been picked up by lots of other websites.  

According to lincolnreport.com, Americannews is trying to poison the well for the more "legitimate" right wing news sites.   IF that is true, then it does work to a certain extent, because TheDrifter has already been discredited by falling for this story.  And look at the way FBT fell for it.  "Oh, it's just like liberals to do this sort of thing.. etc etc." 

Personally, when I read these posts by TheDrifter, I have started vetting them a little before I even comment.   Because he's posted stuff like this before where either the story is not accurate or the headline is misleading.   "Court rules against the American Flag," for example.  Not really true.   And yet every time we get the same knee jerk reaction.  "OMG, it's the liberals run amok again!" 

Eh, I'd say it discredits others who instantly refuse to believe a liberal would do anything like this too though.  I'm sure if the story had been satire about someone being fired for having a gay brother, then those same people would have instantly believed it themselves.

Quote:Eh, I'd say it discredits others who instantly refuse to believe a liberal would do anything like this too though.  I'm sure if the story had been satire about someone being fired for having a gay brother, then those same people would have instantly believed it themselves.

Who instantly refused to believe it? 

And it isn't really satire as far as I can tell.   It's some really underhanded dirty dealing in intentionally bad news stories, not to get a laugh, but to make whoever picks it up and publishes it look bad. 

If lincolnreport.com is telling the truth.   Who knows what is really true these days? 

Quote:Eh, I'd say it discredits others who instantly refuse to believe a liberal would do anything like this too though.  I'm sure if the story had been satire about someone being fired for having a gay brother, then those same people would have instantly believed it themselves.

Are you referring to me sir?
Not referring to you, no. Recognizing satire is different from believing that some people can do no wrong.  I'm just referring to people in general who disbelieve that a liberal would fire someone for a discriminatory reason. It certainly happens.  Though it probably rarely makes the news (Much like other cases of discrimination never make the news). I've certainly seen people harassed because of their accent.  (Foreign, Southern, or otherwise)

On that note, I can't find evidence that a New Thought Textile Institute exists.  (or New Though) 

The difference would be that someone being fired for being gay is entirely credible, and even if it were someone's brother it's the sort of thing that could be put into a sensationalist headline even though the actual reason for someone being fired is that they couldn't get along with a group of homophobes running an organization.

The idea of someone being fired for having a southern accent, while imaginably possible in a circumstance as I noted above, is not something that's been an ongoing problem in the USA.

There isn't a widespread and politically accepted prejudice against southerners, but there is against gay people.
I think you guys are missing the real story here, which is that someone is (supposedly) feeding poisoned news articles to right wing news websites in an attempt to destroy their credibility.  I think that's much more interesting than whether a guy got fired for his accent or not. 

Quote:I think you guys are missing the real story here, which is that someone is feeding poisoned news articles to right wing news websites.  I think that's much more interesting than whether a guy got fired for his accent or not. 

You take a story like this, and you peel back the layers of the onion, and you find something really interesting. 

Yes, it's humorous, but ultimately doesn't matter.

People who would instantly believe that sort of thing aren't going to engage in any kind of self reflection over their misguided beliefs, so it's really only good for a laugh and sad shake of the head.
So what if the story is true? As a conservative or libertarian wouldn't most on the right be fine with right to work laws?

If it was true I would say so what, a private company decided someone with a southern accent didn't appeal to their customer base in California.
Quote:I think you guys are missing the real story here, which is that someone is (supposedly) feeding poisoned news articles to right wing news websites in an attempt to destroy their credibility. I think that's much more interesting than whether a guy got fired for his accent or not.

It's going both ways, the powers to be are trying to discredit all online media it's to hard to control.
Quote:Not referring to you, no. Recognizing satire is different from believing that some people can do no wrong.  I'm just referring to people in general who disbelieve that a liberal would fire someone for a discriminatory reason. It certainly happens.  Though it probably rarely makes the news (Much like other cases of discrimination never make the news). I've certainly seen people harassed because of their accent.  (Foreign, Southern, or otherwise)

On that note, I can't find evidence that a New Thought Textile Institute exists.  (or New Though) 

Ah, gotcha. Referencing the bolded section there, no doubt it happens I just couldn't imagine an accent (let alone a southern accent) being a problem in Ca, and specifically, I feel that yankee/southerner sentiments don't exist much out here. I don't even hear the two terms used outside of reading this board.

On a personal note, people often think I have a southern accent. I have no idea why.
Quote:Ah, gotcha. Referencing the bolded section there, no doubt it happens I just couldn't imagine an accent (let alone a southern accent) being a problem in Ca, and specifically, I feel that yankee/southerner sentiments don't exist much out here. I don't even hear the two terms used outside of reading this board.

On a personal note, people often think I have a southern accent. I have no idea why.

that just blows my mind, but that's cause I've only known North East Florida my whole life.
Pages: 1 2