Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Cutting the Cable (Pun Intended)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm strongly considering cutting tied with my cable company and just going the Netflix route (or something similar) as outside of sports I watch very little TV. I can't even watch a Jags game through cable unless I'm lucky and they play an NFL North team on the road and that game is picked or the rare prime time game. Even then I work most Sundays so if I did get lucky and it was on TV here odds are decent I wouldn't be able to watch it live.

Have any of you cut the chord and got rid of TV or just never had it? I thought I'd seen something where Eric had done it or was considering it. I pay $120+ a month for cable and Internet (most of it is cable) to watch a few things a month. The more I think about it the more ridiculous it sounds that I ever paid that much for it to begin with.

I haven't used Netflix or any streaming alternatives much so thoughts and opinions on those would be welcomed too.
I hear you.  My special deal expired and my ATT bill about to go 200+ this month.  "Cable" TV, is just outdated.  It's hard to find stuff, it's inconvenient, it's just too much effort for the price.  I really could do without it these days.  For the longest time, I've been predominantly watching Youtube, Google Play, Amazon Prime, Netflix.  All significantly cheaper than the cable bill.   You're paying for tons of content you can't possibly watch and mostly don't even care about.  

The truth is that there is always something you want to see on Netflix/Amazon/Google.  You just have to find it (and it's easier to find than with these cable companies channel/time system).  The price discrepancy is a real problem.  You can even find better content on Youtube than cable, and it's free.  

Though I could lose all cable TV and not even notice.  My only reservation with at least dropping my plan down significantly is I still want to watch premier league soccer on the obscure channels I get on my ATT plan.  Thinking back, Premier League may have been the only good thing about my ATT plan this whole year I've had it.  I'll probably just drop the plan down so I get the most basic cable channels in HD and hopefully the same sports package.   Then I'll think about dropping it completely, because I'm not even sure I care.  

Quote:I'm strongly considering cutting tied with my cable company and just going the Netflix route (or something similar) as outside of sports I watch very little TV. I can't even watch a Jags game through cable unless I'm lucky and they play an NFL North team on the road and that game is picked or the rare prime time game. Even then I work most Sundays so if I did get lucky and it was on TV here odds are decent I wouldn't be able to watch it live.

Have any of you cut the chord and got rid of TV or just never had it? I thought I'd seen something where Eric had done it or was considering it. I pay $120+ a month for cable and Internet (most of it is cable) to watch a few things a month. The more I think about it the more ridiculous it sounds that I ever paid that much for it to begin with.

I haven't used Netflix or any streaming alternatives much so thoughts and opinions on those would be welcomed too.

A pet topic of mine. I think Eric and NYC have both cut the cable. I keep mine around for Sunday Ticket but I think I've found a way around that also.

That being said, 90% of the time I use my AppleTV and Netflix, which is run through my AppleTV anyway. I never go without something to watch through it.

I've tried at various times Hulu Plus, Vudu and Amazon Prime and I eventually settled into iTunes and Netlix. If the NFL ever makes itself available outside of DirecTV, I'd cancel the whole thing the next day.
Quote:I'm strongly considering cutting tied with my cable company and just going the Netflix route (or something similar) as outside of sports I watch very little TV. I can't even watch a Jags game through cable unless I'm lucky and they play an NFL North team on the road and that game is picked or the rare prime time game. Even then I work most Sundays so if I did get lucky and it was on TV here odds are decent I wouldn't be able to watch it live.

I cut mines like 2-3 years ago, it was pretty easy as there were and are few things I care to watch, I recently got basic cable with 12 months hbo (was trying to boost my internet speed, they told me it wasn't available even though it said it was, I called them on their nonsense and they gave me double the internet speed + the basic cable with hbo for $14 less than I was already paying for a year).  

Netflix is a good one, I didn't care for hulu much, amazon has a pretty weak lineup but they're getting there.  Without speaking on "alternative" methods to watching shows, there is the legit options like kodi (formally xbmc) and running addons that will let you watch the shows available of the networks website but with the comfort of a remote (I have two htpcs and a firetv running kodi).  Another option is playon which does much of the same thing as xbmc but it can be viewed from any dnla capable device (smart tvs, ps3, firetv, so on and so on).  
Anyone here work for Comcast?  We had internet paid for by an employer, but its too slow.  Heard Comcast has good internet, but upgrading tv/internet/phone seems to be a huge hassle.

What about you-know-who? Mine watches Ellen, The Voice, Criminal Minds, Survivor, etc and would never agree to cut the cable. I watch nothing (maybe a Seinfeld rerun on the DVR at 2 AM) but a little football. Living in Maine/Mass, we end up going to bars to watch the Jaguars.

Quote:What about you-know-who? Mine watches Ellen, The Voice, Criminal Minds, Survivor, etc and would never agree to cut the cable. I watch nothing (maybe a Seinfeld rerun on the DVR at 2 AM) but a little football. Living in Maine/Mass, we end up going to bars to watch the Jaguars.

Sounds like they watch a bunch of network shows anyways. 
I did it, it sucked I'm back on the chord.

Sorry but after about 3 weeks you run out of stuff on Netflix.

Now if you have great internet And no data restrictions it can be done, but it's significantly more time consuming to find things you want to watch.
Oh and to watch just about anything current your going to pay. iTunes amazon hulu the stuff on Netflix is a year or more older
Quote:I did it, it sucked I'm back on the chord.

Sorry but after about 3 weeks you run out of stuff on Netflix.

Now if you have great internet And no data restrictions it can be done, but it's significantly more time consuming to find things you want to watch.

C'mon Eric!
Yeah I'm no sure it's going to work like I thought. After looking into it, there's a $15 a month surcharge on top of the monthly amount if you choose to go Internet only through our local company. The company is a total joke, they have you buy the you know what around here. Satellite is an option but the service here in small town Iowa is sketchy and I've had issues with weather, snow or rain, knocking it out in the past. Plus where I an now isn't a good location, I'm blocked by trees all around me. I'm still considering it as its likely still 40-50 a month cheaper. Plus my cable bill has done nothing but go up each of the last 4 months. I'm going to call them and see if I can Jew them down, they're known for doing that if you're threatening to look elsewhere.

I have a 350 gig a month allowance. Is that enough for Netflix? I won't be using it that often. A handful of times a month. If I want to watch a game I'll go to a bar, or if it's an Iowa game I'll just go to it.
I did it over 4 years ago. The most basic cable package in my hood runs $120 with no premium channels. I pay a fraction of that now.

I use an Apple TV / netflix and I'll purchase shows I really want but can't find free. (Usually about 5 or 6 series annually for 20-$30 per season through iTunes or Amazon. )

I bought a $40 digital antenna for the network stuff. If my wifi ever bogs down a stream I'll connect my laptop via hdmi to the tv - but that's rare.

I rent movies through Amazon and iTunes as well.

HBO is the only tricky one really. When they start to let non-cable subscribers buy HBO-go then I'll have everything

Now I watch seasons of their stuff a year late or find a freebie stream.

I think all in I spent under 700 bucks last year.
My TV and internet package costs €50/month and worked within one hour of connecting the wires. It's a little light on HD channels but I don't watch a lot of TV so I don't mind.

My cable bill runs $235/month.   That includes baseball and nba packages too.   It is what it is.  TV is a high priority in my house (6-tvs) --- it keep our marriage of 16 years running smooth

Quote:I did it over 4 years ago. The most basic cable package in my hood runs $120 with no premium channels. I pay a fraction of that now.

I use an Apple TV / netflix and I'll purchase shows I really want but can't find free. (Usually about 5 or 6 series annually for 20-$30 per season through iTunes or Amazon. )

I bought a $40 digital antenna for the network stuff. If my wifi ever bogs down a stream I'll connect my laptop via hdmi to the tv - but that's rare.

I rent movies through Amazon and iTunes as well.

HBO is the only tricky one really. When they start to let non-cable subscribers buy HBO-go then I'll have everything

Now I watch seasons of their stuff a year late or find a freebie stream.

I think all in I spent under 700 bucks last year.

I'm in the middle of a DirecTV contract but will go your route when it expires. I like DirecTV over cable, and especially for Sunday Ticket, but everything else I watch can be purchased cheaper. Plus, I'm patient. What I can't stream soon after the original broadcast on Hulu Plus or Amazon Prime i can wait on to get to Netflix.

DirecTV kills you by adding on charges for services most folks will not do without these days - HD, multiple receivers or Genie mini-receiver, whole home DVR, etc. What looks like a good deal for the package of all non-premium channels at $81 per month balloons to $130 real quick.

Of course, it does help that I have a brother-in-law willing to share his account password with me this season so I can stream HBO Go and DirecTV Sunday Ticket. It was getting painful shelling out money just to watch the Jaguars get rolled every week the past couple of years. Still, if given no other choice, I'd still do it.
Quote:My cable bill runs $235/month.   That includes baseball and nba packages too.   It is what it is.  TV is a high priority in my house (6-tvs) --- it keep our marriage of 16 years running smooth
For a one-time payment of $192 I can watch practically every NFL game from 2009 until the present day as well as NFL Network and NFL Redzone. 
I ditched cable about 3 years ago. The only thing I really miss is college games on ESPN.

My antenna picks up about 20 or so channels and I got Netflix too. Cable/satelite just not practical for me, too much $ for the amount of TV that I watch.

Quote:My cable bill runs $235/month.   That includes baseball and nba packages too.   It is what it is.  TV is a high priority in my house (6-tvs) --- it keep our marriage of 16 years running smooth

That is a small monthly price to pay for a smooth running marriage.
Quote:Welcome to the joy of being a costumer in a world where consumer advocacy is still a thing. 

Have no idea why I never tried it before
Quote:Have no idea why I never tried it before

I'm about to do something similar. God I hope it works, I'm not the biggest fan of DirecTV.
Pages: 1 2 3