Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: FA Contract Structures
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Nice article by Hays outlining how easy we can walk away from our 2014 free agent class.

http://members.jacksonville.com/opinion/...gent-class

Perhaps even Caldwell was not too confident in these guys the way he set up the contracts. Pay them this year to see how they pan out as we needed some signings to get us closer to the minimum requirement.
I think they made it pretty clear with free agency this year that they weren't signing core players, but rather patches to help them along as they draft for the future. 

So the question can be asked:

Why didn't we try to sign more "patches" like these and see what sticks when we have $30 mil in cap space left.

The prevailing argument is that we don't want to hurt future years, but if we can structure contracts such as these....why didn't we try to bring more "patches" in and see if any of them could be building blocks?
Quote:So the question can be asked:

Why didn't we try to sign more "patches" like these and see what sticks when we have $30 mil in cap space left.

The prevailing argument is that we don't want to hurt future years, but if we can structure contracts such as these....why didn't we try to bring more "patches" in and see if any of them could be building blocks?

Well they tried to get Thurman, Sanders, Mack and another player here. You can't make everybody come play for you. And everyone's contract isn't like that. We just signed guys who agreed to it.

And then you want some money for the next year. I would hate for us to have maxed out and missed out on someone next year.
I hope you're right.

It's definitely a nice way to weasel out of the beadles contract.  He was supposed to be a fixture on this offensive line, we'll see if they keep him around.

Maybe this can make the free agent head hunters quiet down for awhile.

I've heard complaints about Clemons a lot. If he doesn't perform, he'll be cut and we can target a stud DE in the draft to add to the young guys we have in Branch, Davis, Smith.

Beadles has drawn a lot of complaints as well. LG could be filled in with a young draft pick but I think he'll be one to stick around when all is said in done. Just a hunch.

Gerhart is interesting... I think he sticks around but if Robinson outshines by seasons end, we could cut ties... but I really think if we get the Oline blocking better he'll be a fine back.

Bryant has been playing well. 

I think Doss will be gone. Ziggy and Watson are young players so we'll see how they develop throughout the season.

I'm glad Caldwell left a lot of cap space and signed these types of "prove it" contracts again. Any of these guys pan out to be hits they get resigned, like Marks I imagine.

But next season the free agent market will be full of a lot of players a lot of teams can't pay. I suspect we'll be the most aggressive ever under Caldwell. 

We'll notch 1 big time FA. And possibly a couple more role players. But I expect fewer players and bigger deals this go round. With another draft to address certain spots Caldwell could essentially hit a home run FA that sends either side of the ball into contention. Whether it be a key piece in the front seven that always gets to the QB or a back end piece that is a ball hawk, or a key cog to the offense. (TE and RB is rich next season)

Quote:It's definitely a nice way to weasel out of the beadles contract.  He was supposed to be a fixture on this offensive line, we'll see if they keep him around.

Beadles is the best player on the offensive line right now. 
Hey were can I sign up. looks like you don't have to play just be there and collect some nice $$$$. Sign me up coach I can play Sunday. :woot:

Im really surprised how little we spent for Bryant and Clemons.I remember being impressed when their deals were announced and now I rememeber why. Caldwell signed some players that were gambles skill wise but easy to cut.

This is what Gene Smith didnt do. This is why Caldwell is the GM we need and deserve.

Quote:Gerhart is interesting... I think he sticks around but if Robinson outshines by seasons end, we could cut ties... but I really think if we get the Oline blocking better he'll be a fine back.

What?  Gerhart has been pretty bad.  I think he's gone at the end of this season.
Gerhart played up to the very little expectations that I had for him.

I honestly thought maybe we could turn Ziggy Hood into a real player.

Quote:Im really surprised how little we spent for Bryant and Clemons.I remember being impressed when their deals were announced and now I rememeber why. Caldwell signed some players that were gambles skill wise but easy to cut.

This is what Gene Smith didnt do. This is why Caldwell is the GM we need and deserve.

What you just said will fall on many deaf ears.
Quote:What?  Gerhart has been pretty bad.  I think he's gone at the end of this season.
The O line has been pretty bad. And we've seen slight improvement each week. Like I said, maybe Robinson outshines and gains more touches. But I think with better blocking Gerhart could be a solid "Thunder" to Robinson's "Lightning" and Storm manning up the 3rd RB role going forward. No sense in wasting a draft pick on a RB this coming draft with 3 serviceable RBs.

If Gerhart can't seem to get it going after the Oline does, then you can really say he's been pretty bad.

I suspect we won't be so hard on Toby at the end of the season. But I won't be surprised if Robinson ends up the better back. 
Quote:Maybe this can make the free agent head hunters quiet down for awhile.

I've heard complaints about Clemons a lot. If he doesn't perform, he'll be cut and we can target a stud DE in the draft to add to the young guys we have in Branch, Davis, Smith.

Beadles has drawn a lot of complaints as well. LG could be filled in with a young draft pick but I think he'll be one to stick around when all is said in done. Just a hunch.

Gerhart is interesting... I think he sticks around but if Robinson outshines by seasons end, we could cut ties... but I really think if we get the Oline blocking better he'll be a fine back.

Bryant has been playing well. 

I think Doss will be gone. Ziggy and Watson are young players so we'll see how they develop throughout the season.

I'm glad Caldwell left a lot of cap space and signed these types of "prove it" contracts again. Any of these guys pan out to be hits they get resigned, like Marks I imagine.

But next season the free agent market will be full of a lot of players a lot of teams can't pay. I suspect we'll be the most aggressive ever under Caldwell. 

We'll notch 1 big time FA. And possibly a couple more role players. But I expect fewer players and bigger deals this go round. With another draft to address certain spots Caldwell could essentially hit a home run FA that sends either side of the ball into contention. Whether it be a key piece in the front seven that always gets to the QB or a back end piece that is a ball hawk, or a key cog to the offense. (TE and RB is rich next season)

Mark Long implied on Jaguars Today a few days ago, that basically every FA is being signed in this fashion, and they are all viewed as stop-gap players that can be cut once their replacements are drafted. If they get lucky and find a Marks then so be it. 

Basically these guys are just placeholders, and depending on how the draft falls, they're able to be cut at any time by design.
Quote:Mark Long implied on Jaguars Today a few days ago, that basically every FA is being signed in this fashion, and they are all viewed as stop-gap players that can be cut once their replacements are drafted. If they get lucky and find a Marks then so be it.

Basically these guys are just placeholders, and depending on how the draft falls, they're able to be cut at any time by design.

That may be true for the guys we signed but every FA isn't taking that kind of deal and may send a few guys away.

Nonetheless it works out for us for the ones that do.
This shows that Beadles, Gerhart, and Watson were the guys he had most faith in

Hood is a goner

Quote:The O line has been pretty bad. And we've seen slight improvement each week. Like I said, maybe Robinson outshines and gains more touches. But I think with better blocking Gerhart could be a solid "Thunder" to Robinson's "Lightning" and Storm manning up the 3rd RB role going forward. No sense in wasting a draft pick on a RB this coming draft with 3 serviceable RBs.

If Gerhart can't seem to get it going after the Oline does, then you can really say he's been pretty bad.

I suspect we won't be so hard on Toby at the end of the season. But I won't be surprised if Robinson ends up the better back. 

When there have been holes, he's not gone through them.  While the O line has been bad, Gerhart hasn't helped matters either.  I think by the end of the year, we'll be wondering if we draft Gurley or a Defensive Player.  (Though I'm a fan of Dominique Brown myself) 
Gurley would be a nice selection next year, if, and only IF, this team finishes just good enough to not net themselves a top ten selection. I love Gurley. He's an awesome runningback. The Bulldogs are my college team. But even I wouldn't spend a top five pick on him. It's just not worth the value there on him. Especially because with him, he's been oft injured a bit over the last two years here and there. Probably because Richt was leaning on him too much. But he can certainly get it done. He runs an awful lot like Marshawn Lynch. Same angry steps, cuts, and physical nature in his style.

With Toby, he's just a one trick pony man. He's got one gear, and one gear only. By mid-season if he's not improving, the team is going to have to consider swapping him out for Robinson and/or Todman. But Caldwell played it safe with the signings. Had we landed Mack we probably would have traded up even more in this year's draft to get another player at a skill position rather than go after Luke at Center. Either way, hopefully it works out. If not, like it's been said many times before. You can't fix it all in one season.

Pages: 1 2