Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: UCF Fan Here
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
 But also a pretty big Jags fan.  I was really pumped when we picked BB5 after seeing him in person for the last few years.  It is amazing the difference a few years makes.  When Blake first came to UCF he sat behind a glorified WR.  He had no media attention, and during fan days he was as easy to gain access to as the backup punter.  One year later he shot up from 6'3 to 6'6, and people started to take notice.  Still, he wasn't getting much hype compared to Bridgewater and Manziel.  However, Bortles junior season was a huge success for both him and the UCF program.  When he joined the first round discussion even I had my doubts about him.  A part of me said that his size was the only reason why he was gaining consideration as the first quarterback taken off the board.  

I couldn't have been any more wrong.  He has much more than size.  This guy has the "it factor"  No stage is too big for him. Whether it was facing Bridgewater at Louisville, or going up against Baylor as 17 point underdogs, nothing fazed him.  Furthermore, his foot work is SO much better than it was at UCF.  If he can correct stuff like that so quickly, its amazing to think what else he can fix in such a short amount of time.  He has shown arm strength now that was never seen during his career at UCF.  I don't know if I am extremely biased or something, but he already looks like a top 10 quarterback in this league.  Yes, I know that is an interesting statement.  Something just tells me that this guy brings good things to any team he plays for.  

I can't wait for today's game.  To be honest I'm not expecting a win, but I think Bortles will show once again that he could be special.

Go Jags!  Go Knights!

Quote: But also a pretty big Jags fan.  I was really pumped when we picked BB5 after seeing him in person for the last few years.  It is amazing the difference a few years makes.  When Blake first came to UCF he sat behind a glorified WR.  He had no media attention, and during fan days he was as easy to gain access to as the backup punter.  One year later he shot up from 6'3 to 6'6, and people started to take notice.  Still, he wasn't getting much hype compared to Bridgewater and Manziel.  However, Bortles junior season was a huge success for both him and the UCF program.  When he joined the first round discussion even I had my doubts about him.  A part of me said that his size was the only reason why he was gaining consideration as the first quarterback taken off the board.  

I couldn't have been any more wrong.  He has much more than size.  This guy has the "it factor"  No stage is too big for him. Whether it was facing Bridgewater at Louisville, or going up against Baylor as 17 point underdogs, nothing fazed him.  Furthermore, his foot work is SO much better than it was at UCF.  If he can correct stuff like that so quickly, its amazing to think what else he can fix in such a short amount of time.  He has shown arm strength now that was never seen during his career at UCF.  I don't know if I am extremely biased or something, but he already looks like a top 10 quarterback in this league.  Yes, I know that is an interesting statement.  Something just tells me that this guy brings good things to any team he plays for.  

I can't wait for today's game.  To be honest I'm not expecting a win, but I think Bortles will show once again that he could be special.

Go Jags!  Go Knights!
Thank you for the support! And Go Jags!
You are right. He really did improve a lot in a short amount of time. I read an article last week that says Blake almost did not recognize himself while watching UCF games on tape.

Everyone thought it was going to take a whole year to be ready for this day - the day he finally starts a game. GM Caldwell and HC Bradley said he will sit behind Chad Henne all season because they, along with OC Fisch and QC Scelfo, thought it would take that long to fix stuff like his footwork and decision making. Two and a half games into the season, he already has shown us the "it" factor, arm strength, and mobility, so we are all very excited about seeing what he can do today as a first-time starter.

What else do you know about Blake that we should look for during the game today and throughout the season?

Welcome to the board!

Knights fan (and student graduating in May) here as well! I gotta say I was psyched to see the Jags draft him as the #1 QB as well. It was a lot of fun going to games and seeing him play at UCF, and I knew he had a good shot of a solid pro career watching the final bowl game against Baylor. 

I had grown up a Dolphins fan, but BB5 being drafted here (as well as his Fiesta Bowl teammate Storm Johnson) switched me over. It will be fun watching him play this year and following the boards here on Sundays. Smile

Charge On and Go Jags!

Quote:Knights fan (and student graduating in May) here as well! I gotta say I was psyched to see the Jags draft him as the #1 QB as well. It was a lot of fun going to games and seeing him play at UCF, and I knew he had a good shot of a solid pro career watching the final bowl game against Baylor. 

I had grown up a Dolphins fan, but BB5 being drafted here (as well as his Fiesta Bowl teammate Storm Johnson) switched me over. It will be fun watching him play this year and following the boards here on Sundays.

Charge On and Go Jags!

You should not say the word charge today because we are playing agianst the Chargers.

Will it be hard to root against the Dolphins next month?
Quote:You should not say the word charge today because we are playing agianst the Chargers.

Will it be hard to root against the Dolphins next month?
LOL, good point. "Charge On" is the motto for the UCF athletic teams, but it's pretty similar to "Lead the Charge" for San Diego.  :teehee:

I don't think so. I'd kinda been indifferent to the team over the last couple years as they just seem to be running in place, with terrible management, constantly switching out coaches and never committing to anyone. The team now is nothing like the team I grew up with that had Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas, Ricky Williams, etc. Doesn't help that they haven't had a QB since Dan Marino retired. Tannehill probably isn't even the best since then (Pennington?). 

Watched the KC-Miami game last week and found myself really not caring. It was nice to hear they beat New England week 1, but more so because I like seeing the Patriots lose. Watching Bortles come into the game last week however was the most fun I had watching pro football in a long time. Smile

Quote:You are right. He really did improve a lot in a short amount of time. I read an article last week that says Blake almost did not recognize himself while watching UCF games on tape.

Everyone thought it was going to take a whole year to be ready for this day - the day he finally starts a game. GM Caldwell and HC Bradley said he will sit behind Chad Henne all season because they, along with OC Fisch and QC Scelfo, thought it would take that long to fix stuff like his footwork and decision making. Two and a half games into the season, he already has shown us the "it" factor, arm strength, and mobility, so we are all very excited about seeing what he can do today as a first-time starter.

What else do you know about Blake that we should look for during the game today and throughout the season?

Things to look for from Blake:

1) He bounces back from mistakes very well.  If he throws an ugly pick, he gets over it quickly.  This is something I really like about him.

2) There is rarely confusion in the huddle when he is in charge.  He is an intelligent quarterback and instills confidence in others around him.

3) He is creative.  He is not the type to settle for the "easy" play.  He is the opposite of Blaine Gabbert when it comes to this.  Example: the fake spike touchdown throw last week

4) He is tough.  He is not the type that slides Derek Jeter style before contact.  He will take a hit if it leads to a first down instead of being short.

5) He is at his best in quick-tempo (no huddle situations)  In these situations he lets his athleticism take over.  He is best when he doesn't have to think, just react.

6) He is very likeable.  Very humble.  Jokes around with teammates a lot.  Lightens the mood.

Just like any rookie quarterback, I expect him to make a few mistakes today.  However, I believe he will respond well to these mistakes as he always does.  
Quote:He is at his best in quick-tempo (no huddle situations)  In these situations he lets his athleticism take over.  He is best when he doesn't have to think, just react.

Does that mean he is a good clock manager? I want to see how he does during a two-minute drill and when we need to call a timeout.
Quote:Does that mean he is a good clock manager? I want to see how he does during a two-minute drill and when we need to call a timeout.
I would say he is normally a good clock manager.  Lets hope Bortles has a chance to lead this team to a win in a two minute situation in the 4th quarter.
Fellow UCF alum here. Go Knights and go Jags!