Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Year 2 Quarterbacks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Where do you see the most improvement from Year 1 to Year 2 in QBs? Better understanding of the offense and speed is a given. Can a QB like Bortles make footwork changes in the offseason or are habits being concreted with his game day play?
You can always make improvements in footwork. He's only in a game for 2-3 hours a week. All week in practice I'm sure they are making sure he's footwork is correct. I'm not too concerned there.

I think the biggest jump for year 2 qbs is a better understanding of defensive schemes. Recognizing blitzers, reading coverages, etc.

Bortles already does a decent job of that, can look off the safety, pump fake, sell a good PA. The kid is going to be a monster next year.
I see no reason to worry about this before Blake starts a game. Can't we all just take it one week at a time like he does?

Year 2 quarterbacks, JaguarsWoman... Not just Blake Bortles. I'm not so much asking what he needs to improve on than I'm asking what the usual trend is. What's the biggest jump.
Quote:You can always make improvements in footwork. He's only in a game for 2-3 hours a week. All week in practice I'm sure they are making sure he's footwork is correct. I'm not too concerned there.

I think the biggest jump for year 2 qbs is a better understanding of defensive schemes. Recognizing blitzers, reading coverages, etc.

Bortles already does a decent job of that, can look off the safety, pump fake, sell a good PA. The kid is going to be a monster next year.

Correct. There are simple routines and exercises that can be done to work on ingraining proper footwork. He likely does them every day even when he's away from the facility if he's really as dedicated to being a great QB as he seems to be. His biggest growth will come from repeatedly seeing defensive fronts and alignments until he can see where every player on the field should be in his mind the way guys like Peyton and Tom do.
I expect Bortles to grow something like this:

Year 1: Footwork/Mechanics

Year 2: Defenses/Schemes

Year 3: Great line adjustments and Audibles

Year 4: Proper holding of a Lombardy trophy

Footwork issues would be what I'm aiming for with Bortles.  I would imagine that for a lot of QBs, the game slows down a bit for them going into year two once they are more comfortable and adjusted to the speed.

Quote:Year 2 quarterbacks, JaguarsWoman... Not just Blake Bortles. I'm not so much asking what he needs to improve on than I'm asking what the usual trend is. What's the biggest jump.

If this thread is supposed to be about quarterbacks all over the NFL and not our own quarterback, why is it in the Jaguars forum?
Quote:If this thread is supposed to be about quarterbacks all over the NFL and not our own quarterback, why is it in the Jaguars forum?

Why did the chicken cross the road?  To see if he came before the egg?
Quote:If this thread is supposed to be about quarterbacks all over the NFL and not our own quarterback, why is it in the Jaguars forum?

It's about both. Wondering about the trend of how this usually goes and how it can be applicable to our very own QB. Why is this an argument for you? I'm just trying to see where people notice big dfferences in second year QBs.
The angry woman strikes down with vengeance once again!

Quote:I expect Bortles to grow something like this:

Year 1: Footwork/Mechanics

Year 2: Defenses/Schemes

Year 3: Great line adjustments and Audibles

Year 4: Proper holding of a Lombardy trophy

Love number 4. I just have this feeling he's going to be the best QB in Jags history. I've never felt this way about any other Jags QB. Tried to give Goobert te benefit of the doubt, however, he never looked natural or anything when playing. Never passed the eye test.