Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Question about the last 3 games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Did our guys tank on purpose to get bortles into the lineup?
I've thought about that as well, and I don't think so. I just can't fathom a team doing that.

Nope...We just suck...It's just that simple

Quote:Did our guys tank on purpose to get bortles into the lineup?

No, it was clear in the Eagles game the team was trying. The problem is Henne really just is bad, and when a team has a bad QB they lose their belief in the team's ability to succeed, so a bad team looks even worse when it stops believing it has a chance.
I don't think we "tanked" for him. But I think after the Eagles game the defense just lost faith in Henne to lead an offense and just kind of went through the motions. I'm pretty positive they weren't giving it their all.
I highly doubt that occured, because it's an occupation to them & they want to perform at a high level at all times in order to secure their job and get paid more....

I do think that Bortles brought energy to the team that Chad couldnt because the team now knew that stuff was going to get done ... or to sum it up he brought HOPE...

Or took away excuses that Chad possesed... so they knew they had to excel... plus it shows if you do just average you'll be replaced...
Quote:No, it was clear in the Eagles game the team was trying. The problem is Henne really just is bad, and when a team has a bad QB they lose their belief in the team's ability to succeed, so a bad team looks even worse when it stops believing it has a chance.
That is probably a big part of it, and the other part is that the team is very young & inexperienced they'll probably be a lot of ups and downs this season even with Bortles playing...
Quote:That is probably a big part of it, and the other part is that the team is very young & inexperienced they'll probably be a lot of ups and downs this season even with Bortles playing...

Sure, it's unlikely to be a winning season, but the players will see Bortles do things this year to keep games close and probably pull out a win or two that will give the guys faith that the team really IS moving in the right direction now. That will make a big difference in a lot of things. Guys want to play for teams with great QBs and guys want to win, so unlike the garbage about Gus pulling in free agents, having a guy like Bortles really will make players want to play more for the Jaguars so they can succeed.
Yeah lets not try and win games and make it almost impossible to make the playoffs (and get the playoff bonus checks) so a rookie can come in and play.  Wallbash

I dont think so. That means they would have to play beneath themselves. I dont think that you would reduce yourself to being the worst in the league just for one man.

They wouldn't tank on purpose.

Hopefully what we saw was a unit that desperately needed some infusions of momentum from it's counterpart.

In competition at the pro level where the skill sets are so similar between teams, momentum can have a huge effect on the flow of a game.

Maybe having an offense that they can feel is fighting along with them will give them that psychological boost that leads them to making some plays again.

Or maybe, like what seemed to have happened with Bortles' development, taking some of the pressure off the defense by having a functioning offense will allow them to flourish.

Quote:Nope...We just suck...It's just that simple
My thoughts exactly.
Quote:No, it was clear in the Eagles game the team was trying. The problem is Henne really just is bad, and when a team has a bad QB they lose their belief in the team's ability to succeed, so a bad team looks even worse when it stops believing it has a chance.
I feel this way as well
Before talking about tanking, we should all step back and view players, coaches and GMs for what they are, independent contractors.  That will answer your question.

Quote:Nope...We just suck...It's just that simple
Unfortunately, this too.
Yep, that's exactly it.  Rumor has it that Henne passes gas in the huddle and the rest of the team put their foot down.

It's mainly youth.  In both the road games, Henne didn't play too badly, but had his receivers dropping long passes which would have extended drives, the running game which did zip, and in DC the OL forgot to show up at all.

When the problems continued at home and for a full half, Henne's fate was sealed. 

Nah bruh.... we just got beat by three really good football teams that will be in the play-offs by the end of this year. People tend to forget that. As bad as we've played on offense and defense. The Eagles are undefeated, the Redskins got better thanks to us, and the Colts are the best 1 - 2 football team right now in the NFL. They also lost to two really good football teams earlier this year, DEN had them pretty good, take back a few questionable calls and they may have beaten the Eagles on MNF last week. So..... the team didn't tank one bit. We simply got outplayed by better football teams with more experience and better talent on their rosters. As mentioned earlier, we're a very young football team with inexperience. It's going to take some time and adjusting.
We'll see. Sunday will start to tell the story. If the defense starts to look like that first half of the Eagles game I'll have questions. Holding judgement right now.