Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: This Week in the AFC South-Week 3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Two weeks isn't a big enough sample size to make definitive evaluations, but some tentative conclusions appear to be emerging.  Although they started 2-0 last year and proceeded to lose 14 straight, this appears to be a bounce back season of sorts by the Texans, and even without Clowney playing for them the next 4-6 weeks, their defense looks like it'll get them to at least one more win.  The consensus preseason favorites to win the division Indy are 0-2, which gives them something like a 11.6% chance to make the playoffs according to statistics, but I don't think anyone thinks they are out of it yet.  Statistically, the tacks are the most balanced team in the division, and they sit at 1-1, and the Jaguars have started slowly as many predicted, but except for the first half, against the Eagles, they look a long way from a team some observers think will make a late playoff run.

Let's get to this week's action:

Houston
(2-0) at N.Y. Giants
(0-2)-Even though by all accounts, J.J. Watt has been dominant thus far, Houston hasn't seemed to generate many sacks overall (3).  Nevertheless, they have been the stingiest defense in the league in terms of scoring.  They go to a Giants team that is once again starting 2-0, but it doesn't seem like they have the talent to bounce back like they did a few years back.  Two time Super Bowl winner Eli Manning has looked bad, being one of a small handful of QBs with a negative TD-INT ratio thus far.  Houston
23, NYG 13.

Tennessee
(1-1) at Cincinnati
(2-0)-There was at least one poster (IIRC 2) who, in a predictions thread, picked the Bengals to be the AFC representative in the Super Bowl.  Thus far, that is looking like a solid pick, as the Bengals are playing very good defense despite losing an excellent defensive coordinator in Mike Zimmer, and good offense with new offensive coordinator Hue Jackson.  They may have to play Tennessee without A.J. Green, who is battling a toe injury.  Both teams have good pass rushes thus far, and it will likely come down to which team runs the ball better. I still am not sold on Jake Locker, either. Cincinnati
at home 24-17.

Indianapolis
(0-2) at Jacksonville
(0-2). Record wise, this looks like a classic battle between the resistible force (Indy pass rush) vs the movable object (Jaguars OL), but examining the games, Indy has been outscored in close games by two high powered offenses in Denver and Philly, while Jacksonville has been outscored 75-10 in the last 6 quarters.  The Jaguars get back SS Jonathan Cyprien, but can that end the litany of mental errors on both sides of the ball?  I say no. The one rookie receiver with extensive experience in the offense (Hurns) will likely miss the game against Indy, while two more rookies (C Luke Bowanko and TE Marcel Jensen) will receive more playing time in the offense this week. Jacksonville's one hope to keep it close is to pressure Andrew Luck with an improved pass rush (currently tied for 2nd in sacks with 8).  Jacksonville improves their performance from last week in their home opener, but it won't be enough to beat Indy, and the fans clamoring for Bortles grows.  Colts
28 Jaguars

Last week:  2-2

Overall  5-3

Texans over Giants

Bengals over Titans

Colts over Jaguars

2-2 last week.

5-3 overall.

Houston over NYG

Cincinnati over Tennessee

Indianapolis over Jacksonville

Didn't play last week.

Haven't played this season.

Houston Cincy and Indy
Quote: 

Didn't play last week.

Haven't played this season.
Slacker!
This should be an easy week.

Houston

Cincy

Indy

Have to go with:

Giants

Bengals

Colts

just to shake things up!

But don't listen to me, I went 2-2 last week and am 3-5 on the season.

I need to go back and look at my predictions in my pool.  For this week.

Houston over NYG

Cincy over Tenn

Colts over Jags

Texans over Giants

Bengals over Titans

Colts over Jags
I need to come by more often. 

Houston over New York Giants

Tennessee over Cincy

Jags over Indy

That's the way I see it. 

I know it is entirely possible that the Giants can win this week, they've got a lot to play for & they usually pull through in those situations. But I think Coughlin's exit is long overdue & they may be looking for a reason to make it happen now... so I'm going with Houston.

Cincy is playing good ball. But they're also having injury problems. I expect it to be a bigger problem this week than it was last week. 

I think Indy is having some identity issues, they don't know who they're supposed to be & that's got them running in circles. They don't get it straightened out this week, they fall to 0-3, & start some serious soul searching. You guys are going to beat the crap out of them & think all of a sudden you're good... 

Giants, bengals, colts
Giants

Bengals

Colts
I love this weekly thread idea. Keep it up, Bullseye.

However, saying Allen Hurns will probably miss the Colts game is inaccurate. He was upgraded to probable after Friday's practice. Clay Harbor is questionable, but I expect him to start at tight end if he can play.

Quote:Slacker!

I know, I know. I'll do better goin' forward though boss! You'll see!
Update to my prediction.

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Houston over New York Giants - NYG are struggling this season and Houston is playing pretty good football.

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Cincinnati over Tennessee - The Bengals are looking good this season.

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Indianapolis over Jacksonville - The Jaguars are starting several rookies on offense and have injury/depth issues.  The Colts are 0-2, but both losses are to teams that are playoff/Super Bowl contenders.

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Last week 2-2

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Overall 4-4

The first two weeks of the season,  I posted my AFCS selections in the prediction thread Sammy started before the beginning of the regular season.

Week # 3 selections:

Houston.       Until the Giants Offense shows life,  it's hard to pick them even at home.   J.J. Watt is more than living up to his new contract,  including on Special Teams.

Cincinnati.    Even if A,J. Green doesn't play or is limited,  the Bengals should have enough to win this game.  

Indianapolis.  Unfortunately for the Jaguars,  the injuries at the skill positions make it difficult for the team to take advantage of the Colts lack of a Pass Rush like the Broncos and Eagles did..

Record 4-4

Week # 1 :  4-0

Week # 2    0-4

If we can't take advantage of Indy's inability to rush the passer, I would not blame it on injuries. We have a healthy quarterback. If wide receiver injuries kill us it would be at the back end of the defense (safeties and cornerbacks). Instead the problem would be Young and Bowanko making their first career starts.

Crap didnt post in here but I did on the Yahoo pick

Cin

Houston

Jags

I was 3-1 last week.

Colts will be tied for 2nd and only 1 game back. Not bad after the first two week heartbreaks.

NY

Ind

Cin
Not a good day for the AFC South....  1-3

Indy over Jacksonville

Cincy over Tennessee

Giants over Houston

Pages: 1 2 3